General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

2005 Duramax.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Duramax.....

Well I guess the GM boys will have bragging rights for now at least.The Diesel Place says the 05 Duramax has 605 tq with the Allison and the h.p. is unchanged.Sounds like Ford when they topped us with 560 a whole 5 foot pounds.If GM came out with 700 I would still keep my Dodge,been there done that and came back to the Cummins. Later guys.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:24 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blah blah Duramax and high torque...

Ya and you only get those numbers in gears 2, 3 and 4. Nice especially since you can't select 4 on the shifter (auto) and you are usually towing down the road at speeds that require 5th. They don't get it at GM.. Nice Dyno machine, not much for the road..

GM's keep right ---->

IMHO....J-eh

(edit) Here's another funny note.. The "other" engines always seem to only jump the CTD by 5 ft-lbs.. Notice the last increase from CTD was 45 ft-lbs??? Hmmm.
Old 07-31-2004, 12:26 AM

Its still an aluminum head POS motor.
Scott
Old 07-31-2004, 01:16 AM

They'll all reach a point where the stock driveline won't be able to handle what the engine is producing...and then we'll all be driving medium duty trucks instead of light duty.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:07 AM

I'd still take a Duramax over a Powerstroke. In fact, if it weren't for the IFS, I'd have considered the Chevy over the Dodge a little more seriously. Don't flame me, I'd have gone with the Dodge anyway!
Old 07-31-2004, 12:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Dieseljunkie
Its still an aluminum head POS motor.
Scott
There are now quite a few that have exceeded 500k with no major repairs. Pretty good for a pos. I still wouldn't own one.
Old 07-31-2004, 03:52 PM

Why do you guys care about 5 ft lb of torque?

I want you to go drive a 555 engine, then a 600 with about 10K lbs behind it, and tell me that you wouldn't have made it without that 600.

I mean, come on, stock vs stock, those V8 engines will outrun our down the street, and thats all most diesel buyers nowdays care about, how fast is it?

But put 'em on a hill and my old 95 will run most of them, and it's only got 420 ft lbs .

Don't get so bent out of shape because someones "numbers" are better, it really doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Chris

BTW, Don't tie into one of those D-max's stock, or you will be humiliated, and they do pretty well with a large trailer. Don't ask me how I know this
Old 07-31-2004, 05:16 PM

I think I can beat 605 lb-ft with my truck and I know it's cost me less to get there...
Old 08-01-2004, 12:13 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's fun to watch the horsepower race and hear all the hype. But I don't care if they get to 700 ft lbs or 800 ft lbs, I won't give up my 555 locomotive. This is by far the best truck I have ever had and there is a lot more to it than dyno torque numbers. The power and reliability, a comfortable workhorse, the straight axle, the front suspension, the brakes, the driveability and economy, the styling, the quality, the bla bla bla. You all know what I mean. So sit back and enjoy the hype. Ford and Chevy know Dodge has the engine. The only way they can beat it is with advertized numbers, not with substance.

Wetspirit
Old 08-01-2004, 12:16 AM

What good is a high torque engine if you don't have the tranny to back it up?
Old 08-01-2004, 12:35 AM

Only the tranny welder? How about the whole truck not being good enough to hold up. Our experience with other contractors chevies has steered us clear of them. They are a 4x4 Car with a Big engine. You cant put them to work, or they will break in one way or another. But like mentioned in the motor trend thread, people now look for how fast, smooth and car like a truck is. Thats why Chevies still sell.
Just my two cents....
Old 08-01-2004, 01:40 AM

Ill believe it when i feel it.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My own Ford/Chevy/Dodge tale is this: A supervisor at work had his hip replaced. Just before going in for surgery, he procured a brand new F-250 Superduty. He hates the Dodge, citing Transmission problems and the Rear end problems. After his surgery, he gets a medical waver to get another new truck, so he can get the Chevy he really wanted. The Ford rode too rough for his new hip and health recovery. I have had to drive all three at work: The Dodge has been beat to death by employees who are Ford/Chevy fans, but has held up remarkably well, and is my prefered choice. The Super Duty is tall, slow, and very Truck like. Works well. The Chevy is too soft, can't pull anything, has a cloth interior, and rideslike a car. I do not like driving it at all. All three are gassers, as diesels are not in the budget (not really necessary for what we do, anyway.)

So -- Fords are too rough, Chevys are too soft, and Dodge is juuusssst right!
Old 08-01-2004, 05:34 PM

Are you saying Chevys are for guys w/ hemorroids?
Old 08-01-2004, 05:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by welder27
What good is a high torque engine if you don't have the tranny to back it up?
---Id have to say with the allison you might stand a better chance at reaching high torque numbers than with our tranys I want a allison to come standard in all CTD . as for the rest of the truck chevy's are soft !! if your driving 100,000 miles per year and you need a diesel and your company supply's it....its a no brainer Id get the chevy ...it really does ride like a caddie. But I want a truck and I got my truck. and I never complain that it rides like a truck like some people do. The only thing I need to see is when a dura. hooks to the sled and each tire independently shakes and hops all over the place and the driver cant even hardly get into it or itll throw him out the window it also squats so much it plows the track with its bumper and not to mention if it wasnt for the frount tires bounceing around all over the place youd think it was 2WD thats not a truck to me its more of a rich mans 4x4 sunday driver . Now there might be better dura pulling trucks out there but Ive never seen one . DODGE needs to do a simple comerical 3 stock trucks and a sled and everyone would see how those numbers mean nothing its about getting it to the ground and having a truck stand up and take notice , not bounce at all , and never to lose power not even at the end ..... only in a CUMMINS. ALL HAIL THE REAL TRUCK !!!

Quick Reply: 2005 Duramax.....