General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

'09 Ram 1500 w/ Cummins V-8 is cool..

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Raspy;2130874]
Originally Posted by Digital Bullet
Which makes me wonder why Dodge would even bring a light duty Cummins to the market with way less power compared to a GMC/Chevy.

Because, apparantly, it's not going to be competing with the Duramax. It's a light duty truck and not in the same HP wars as the big three HD trucks. Just as my VW TDI is a light duty diesel and is not intended to compete in the HP wars. I wish they'd put the Sprinter 5 cyl in the Dakota.
I think he's talking about the 4.5L Duramax intended for class 1 pickups. That would be their direct competition.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If the new v8 gets mid-to-upper 20mpgs, I for one hope they offer it in the 3/4 ton as an option. Plenty of us S.O. owners get along quite fine thank you with 250hp & 460ft/lbs stock power and return decent fuel mileage to boot. It all comes down to how much truck you need.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the torque output of these new motors is too high, they're going to find even more warranty claims from people trying to use half-ton trucks as heavy-duties. So even more blown trannies, rear ends, etc, etc, etc.

IMO, 400 lbs-ft for a half-ton is PLENTY. Besides, the aftermarket will have a field day with those motors.

Rob
Old 07-02-2008, 10:39 AM

These trucks are going to be good for those that use it like a 1/2 ton. To bad the price will be 25-30% higher then a gas truck. I want one but will wait till their is some kind of aftermarket and I can buy it used. I bought ine new car and wont do it again.
DS79
Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 AM

Yeah good idea. Used diesels are better because they're already broken in. I've had two new CTDs and it takes like 40-50k before they really start getting good mileage. That's why I got my 05 used (with 48k -- now at 62k).

I won't buy "new" cars anymore either, except for some select Japanese cars... like the new WRX I just got. Couldn't find a used one that wasn't beat to crap, plus the new design in 08 is sooooooooo much nicer in every single way... room, comfort, power, etc. Plus it gets 30 mpg highway.

Rob
Old 07-02-2008, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When it comes to a diesel engine I want one thats new one so that I know its broken in the right way. I would not want a used one that was only a DD and never towed or hauled any weight for the first 35+K of its life.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RobG
Besides, the aftermarket will have a field day with those motors.

Rob

Don't count on it. First, the computer setup on these trucks is 50X more complicated than a 2nd gen truck, and easily 10X over an 04.5+ HPCR.

The injectors on these things are big-dollar pieces machined to tolerances most local shops can only dream of. Forget modding injectors unless someone goes the Jammer route and offshores some cut-rate pieces.

Second, there's a good chance that many states will have very stringent emissions tests for these in order to even get the truck registered. Forget the laughable "snap test"-- we're talking 5-gas analysis that you'd never know outwardly that you failed, except that a single injectors was delivering .3% too much fuel and you're facing a fine or a fix-it notice.

The last of the mod-friendly diesels will be the 07 5.9s IMO. I love the the 6.7 (and especially the 68rfe trans), but they are already very complex and tough to make reliable-- when you go modding this engine, you might be walking more than you care to.

Maybe in a few years the technology will mature enough to where dealers are up to speed and the precision is more common. While that will make them more reliable, it won't make them more mod-friendly IMO.

JMO-- I could be very wrong, but I'm pretty pessimistic about the level of freedom the enviros (via that EPA) will allow to John Q Dieselhead.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by HOHN
Don't count on it.
Isn't there a movement afoot to essentially prevent all tampering with the ECM on these newer trucks....
Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 PM

Kinda sucks, but you are more or less right. They aftermarket will get you a little more, but a full out "bomb" is gonna be just about impossible.
DS79
Old 07-03-2008, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by deerslayer1979
Kinda sucks, but you are more or less right. They aftermarket will get you a little more, but a full out "bomb" is gonna be just about impossible.
DS79
Pretty much. They've been gunning for us for a long time. I'd think that these could be made to pass emissions with flying colors still, but chipping them and getting away with it is gonna be a lot more difficult.

My talon had a modified ECU that I'd be able to tune with my laptop (DSMLink, if you feel like reading up on it). It wasn't necessarily "legal", but the computer could be used to make it pass emissions with flying colors. Let's not forget NY is one of the toughest states to pass now with all the computer BS you have to jump through hoops for.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
Don't count on it. First, the computer setup on these trucks is 50X more complicated than a 2nd gen truck, and easily 10X over an 04.5+ HPCR.

The injectors on these things are big-dollar pieces machined to tolerances most local shops can only dream of. Forget modding injectors unless someone goes the Jammer route and offshores some cut-rate pieces.

Second, there's a good chance that many states will have very stringent emissions tests for these in order to even get the truck registered. Forget the laughable "snap test"-- we're talking 5-gas analysis that you'd never know outwardly that you failed, except that a single injectors was delivering .3% too much fuel and you're facing a fine or a fix-it notice.

The last of the mod-friendly diesels will be the 07 5.9s IMO. I love the the 6.7 (and especially the 68rfe trans), but they are already very complex and tough to make reliable-- when you go modding this engine, you might be walking more than you care to.
That makes perfect sense. I just got my truck inspected (NY) and was talking to the guy about the computer hookup they do. He said that since the truck is over 8500 GVWR the scan doesn't even go through the way it does with small vehicles, if the CEL is off you're good. Other than that, it's a visual inspection. With a half ton they shoudl be running them through a more stringent emissions check. My 07 passed and I have no emissions controls of any kind. They did keep it for quite a while on the lift though.