Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Waste Veggie Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waste Veggie Oil?

We see that there is a kit that can be put on a truck to run WVO. What are the pros and cons of WVO vs. BIO diesel? My dad wants to put this kit on his 98 12 valve. And will this same kit work on a 2001? Thanks.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:25 AM

all I can say is do your homework, my brother (06 powerstroke)and I (08 6.7) have been working with veggie oil for about 8 months and first batch of bio diesel is sitting in freezer now. the wvo kit ran about 4k, and for the first month after we did install had nothing but problems. All kind of emission issues with his ford, 3 different fuel pumps (wvo) had to run coolant lines to rear tank (100gal) to keep warm and had multiple leaks, and thats the short story. He hauls about 100k a year so it is wise for him to keep fuel costs down. I how ever maybe do 12k so to me wvo is not worth the time and headache. The bio diesel kit came in last week and first batch cost about 3.00 to make with time and free oil. this might be worth the time in the long run, but collection of oil, filter process, seperation and time right now I feel it is easier to pay 4$ a gallon for #2 and be on my way.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My take on doing it correctly:
If you run WVO the processing unit is in the bed of your truck and doesn't work till warmed up.

If you make BD out of your WVO the processing plant is in your garage and has additional cost due to chemicals and electricity to heat the oil.
Advantage to making the BD is there is no need to warm up your truck to use it. If your drives are short this may be the way to go.

Before you invest any money be certain your source of WVO isn't going to dry up. The stuff is valuable, competition for it is getting fierce in some areas.
You may want to guarantee your source in writing if possible.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:38 PM

Right on infidel, I already had a 55 gallon drum stolen from a local coney island, the owner was not there and one of the employees thought some guy was my brother and pumped my drum dry!!!!! Alot of big companys are locking people into contracts and paying them, so secure your oil before investing time and money.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:49 PM

We have a good source of oil. Maybe too much. Time will tell though.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:45 PM

good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Lots of info out there showing that not removing the triglycerides , is harmful , does not burn well enough to keep from coking up the combustion areas .
The ones doing it , and getting away with it the longest , are doing a better job of filtering and switching to diesel when needed , inconvenient - long drives , pain for quick stops .
Many are not removing water , salts ect. , non that I have heard of , PH balance the fuel .
Do it right , make bio-diesel , but dong that right takes time , knowledge and paying attention .
Old 09-25-2008, 05:41 PM

I been running blended WVO for about 6 months, but my truck is a 97 GMC 6.5T, so far so good, no mods at all, just mix well filtered WVO 70%, 15% kero, 5% Rug,4oz Acetone to 10gal of mix,,, shake it up good,dump into tank.
starts instant in morn. 2-4 sec. blue smoke clears right up, runs all day great! almost forgot ,took cat out about 5yrs ago. every so often toss in 2-4gal.diesel when im low and not close to home. Im in Austin TX plenty warm
Thx Ron
Old 10-09-2008, 07:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A veggie system will need to heat the oil before injection so its the right viscosity. Doing so MAY be harmful to a VP44. On a P pump its not so bad. It requires a full conversion to use safely. About 1000$ in parts for an average setup including tank.
Its not the fuel of choice for short trips or very cold climates. You must filter and de-water the oil before you put it near the tank.
biodiesel requires methanol to make, so youre tied to a petro-product. Biodiesel takes a lot of labor and/or equipment to make properly. It needs washing and water removal as well as filtering. It doesnt like cold climates but if you make it right its usually good down to 40F.
Blending WVO with another solvent to thin it out is experimental at best. The folks that have tinkered with bio and WVO systems usually dont like blending.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I have been researching, $1000 will build a pretty spiffy Bio processor facility. Most Appleseed processors that guys build are less than $300.