Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

How much Bio

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much Bio

I have a 06 with alot of upgrades, what ratio can i use with bio, I have a plant within 10 miles of me and would like to start using it. Please only comment if you really know whats safe. Thanks
Old 03-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Manual recommends only 10%.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a pretty good article in the newest issue of Diesel Power Mag. go get one and have a read. I can't comment i haven't finished reading it yet.
But yesterday i put in 21 gallons of B100 for the first time $2.40 a gal. Truck runs fine and smells great.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:05 PM

Big difference in fuel pressures between a VP44 truck and a common rail. I've been told that's why we can't run more than 10%.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by oil smell
I have a 06 with alot of upgrades, what ratio can i use with bio, I have a plant within 10 miles of me and would like to start using it. Please only comment if you really know whats safe. Thanks
Bio diesel is man made diesel and is better than petroleum diesel. Run 100%!
Old 03-11-2007, 06:34 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It all depends on the quality and oil feedstock of the BD but if you exceed B50 with a common rail you're asking for trouble. The higher pressures and temps of the CRI engine can cause BD to polymerize at higher ratios.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
It all depends on the quality of the BD but if you exceed B50 with a common rail you're asking for trouble. The higher pressures and temps of the CRI engine can cause BD to polymerize at higher ratios.

What?? never heard of that.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:46 PM

I work in BD research and we found out the hard way running B75-100 in a brand new '03. This was unfortunate as BD is free for the asking for us.
No problems at all running B50 for three years.
Nearly all commercial BD in the U.S. is made from soy, which is not a particularly stable oil and BD made from it will tend to polymerize (get stringy) in high pressure injection systems. Canola is better, which is the principle feedstock used in Europe. I suspect that this is one of the reasons European auto manufacturers have been reluctant to approve the use of biodiesel in their U.S. models - because of the feedstock we use and the standards we have for it.
The only other options are to use lower pressure injection systems (antiquated and unlikely) or to use feedstocks that are naturally high in saturated fats and are therefore more stable such as lard, tallow, coconut oil, or palm oil. Unfortunately these oils have high melting points and are therefore unsuitable for use in colder climates.
Some day this problem may be solved chemically but hasn't yet.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:50 PM

If you made bio from vegetable oil (like they did on Trucks) how does that hold up?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:55 PM

polymerize in high pressure injection systems

I have no idea what you mean by this?
Old 03-11-2007, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by t-boe
If you made bio from vegetable oil (like they did on Trucks) how does that hold up?
It all depends on the type of oil and how much you want to experiment.
When bio first started taking hold in the US it was never intended to be run at 100% and there is really no reason to unless you're making it yourself. When BD eventually becomes the nationwide standard I don't ever see it being offered at more than B10, there just isn't enough farmland to support more. That's a big reason research into running high percentages in CRI engines is way on the back burner.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
polymerize in high pressure injection systems

I have no idea what you mean by this?
http://www.answers.com/polymerization
Old 03-11-2007, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by infidel

Why don't you just say in simple english what it does?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:10 PM

He did. It gets stringy.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by RickCJ
Why don't you just say in simple english what it does?
I did, it becomes stringy.
This leads to filter and injector plug ups.

In our enthusiasm to promote biodiesel, people often make claims like "performs exactly like petro diesel", "better than petrodiesel", etc. Clearly, this is not the case. Chemically, Biodiesel is an approximation of diesel fuel. In some situations, like running older generation diesels in warm weather, it is a pretty good approximation in terms of performance characteristics. In other situations, like running an '04 Powerstroke in cold weather, its performance characteristics are not at all a good approximation.

The people selling BD making kits and some of the industrial producers of BD have put much effort into promoting biodiesel and particularly B100 as a viable alternative to petro diesel. But the reality is that biodiesel is not a straight substitute for diesel and can no longer ignored. The problems associated with biodiesel's differences from petro diesel will only grow as more new generation vehicles hit the road. Biodiesel and those who actively support it will start losing credibility.

We need to acknowledge this reality that biodiesel is not yet a substitute for petro diesel. From all my investigations into this subject, it seems clear that the solution to this issue is chemistry. BD must be changed so that it better mimics petro diesel in terms of performance characteristics. Here is an opportunity for someone or some organization to really make a difference: Do the research and experimentation necessary to develop additives or some other way to alter the chemical makeup biodiesel so that it performs more like petro diesel. Then we really could claim that it "works just like diesel" and "can be used in any diesel vehicle."

Quick Reply: How much Bio