Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Here is one way around it!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hate it when I can'nt find it , some time ago I found a web site that was from a co. in W Germany , and they manufactured bio diesel prossers in shipping containers / modular , if I can remember rite , there were about 3 levels depending on what the base vegi oil was , including pulling oil out of vegitable mater / soybeans what have you , just have ship to your location and provide power add oil resorce ,
I just couldn't find it in my favorites , and I know it was there .
Old 04-15-2006, 05:07 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Oilguy
From what I gather it will cost about 4 mil US to set it up and get trained... Pretty much everything to get it running.
I am calculating $.91 per Gallon
3.785L = 1 Gallon
.20 euro = $.24 (spread sheet shows .17 euros per litre)
$.24 x 3.785 =$.9084 Per Gallon
Plant will produce minimum of 3170 gallons per day
So,,,
$7926 per DAY gross @ $2.50 per gallon
$2853 Cost (Financing cost/ Operating Cost/employees/blah/blah/blah)
$5073 Per Day Profit!

They figured everything on a 24 day month and that puts it to roughly 120K per month Profit

They emailed me a spreadsheet that is 3 pages long of EVERYTHING that is included.
They are telling me that you can get a Gov subsidy or grant to help out but I think that will put a bullseye on your A.. and you will be an environmental target.

I guess making $1,461,030 per year with an area that is 40"x18"x31" might be worth the risk!

#'s might be wrong... I am not that smart... but I hold my own... Do you own math and let me know if I screwed up somewhere.

Oilguy
You might as well go for the subsidy since there's no way to keep something like that under the radar. One would need to study the emissions of the product to determine if you'd have any negative environmental impact.

I would expect these sort of things to start coming online as soon as it becomes cost effective enough to have a resonable payback of startup costs.

The long term outlook is that fossil fuel is finite and will only become more expensive until technology developes an alternative. There is only so much plastic waste which is mostly made from fossil fuels so eventually plastics will need to be made from renewable resources as well.

There's no reason to think though that even if fossil fuels ran out that plastics won't be made and there will always be waste plastics and waste other things. Putting waste into landfills is just stupid when most everything can be turned into something useful and eventually it will be. Even landfills will be dug up for whatever is there.

Edwin
Old 04-15-2006, 05:52 PM

Edwin , you must have read Buckminster Fullers book , Critical Path , every thing is someone els's resource , there are only manufactured shortages , I could go on but it was a long book so I let it go for now .
Old 04-15-2006, 06:07 PM

One thing that bothers me, except the price of 4 mio $, is where to get enough plastic and waste oil to power the plant. At least here most of it gets recycled, but who knows, perhaps it´s really easy to get all that plastic/waste oil.

I´ll contact the manufacturer and see if they can provide me some more details about costs etc.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I share the same concern as Edwin-- where are you going to get a steady source of product to feed the plant?
Most waste motor oil that is recycled is made back into motor oil, a far more efficient use of the resource than burning it up.
Plastic presents a transportation problem. Most communities that have a plastic recycling program also have a plastic recycling plant close by. Communities that don't have a plant usually don't bother with plastic recycling because the transportation costs are worth more than the product.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:53 PM

Oilguy, how much did they say the government subsidy is for?

I'm wondering also where to find the amounts of plastics and used oil. That would be quite a task, but worth looking into.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:04 PM

This is why there are so many problems.... Everyone is great at identifiing problems but stop there... You have to look through the problems (Challenges) and find the solutions.
For 1.5 Mil a year can you figure out a way to get enough (Waste) Plastic and (Waste) Oil to make this plant operate?
It is funny that most people look at an opportunity and see a problem.
I have made a living (good one) from looking at a problem and seeing an opportunity >>> and I am nobody!

Edwin >>
1. It looks like it runs cool enough that it doesn't produce the harmful chemicals and Vapors that are common with old tech oil refineries.
2. The short term demands for fuel FAR out weigh the risk of running out or another technology ending the demand.
3. The price of Crude has little to do with the cost of collecting waste material for feed stock.
Infidel >>
Recycling Waste motor oil back into motor oil may be effecient but if it is profitible to recycle it into fuel and reduce the plastic impact on landfills... I vote for Profit! Can't help it... I am an Evil Capitalist.
I feel weird calling someone "Infidel" I feel like a need a rifle in hand when I say it.

BTW >>> Happy Easter!

Oilguy
Old 04-16-2006, 07:00 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I feel weird calling someone "Infidel" I feel like a need a rifle in hand when I say it.
That's ok, the dictionary meaning of infidel is just-- a person who doesn't believe, doesn't say what it is they don't believe in

I'm all for your endeavor, it just seems like the refinery would be the easy part.
Hard part would be setting up a community recycling program and getting people to do it. If your area already has a plastic recycling program you would most likely have to get into a bidding war with whoever is processing the waste already.
Old 04-16-2006, 07:06 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Oilguy
This is why there are so many problems.... Everyone is great at identifiing problems but stop there... You have to look through the problems (Challenges) and find the solutions.
For 1.5 Mil a year can you figure out a way to get enough (Waste) Plastic and (Waste) Oil to make this plant operate?
It is funny that most people look at an opportunity and see a problem.
I have made a living (good one) from looking at a problem and seeing an opportunity >>> and I am nobody!

Edwin >>
1. It looks like it runs cool enough that it doesn't produce the harmful chemicals and Vapors that are common with old tech oil refineries.
2. The short term demands for fuel FAR out weigh the risk of running out or another technology ending the demand.
3. The price of Crude has little to do with the cost of collecting waste material for feed stock.
Infidel >>
Recycling Waste motor oil back into motor oil may be effecient but if it is profitible to recycle it into fuel and reduce the plastic impact on landfills... I vote for Profit! Can't help it... I am an Evil Capitalist.

BTW >>> Happy Easter!

Oilguy
I don't think capitalists are evil at all. I am one. I was simply pointing out some of the problems us "evil" capitalists will run into from the enviro-wackos and gummint-mafia-bureaucrats that are ever present like blood sucking parisites.

If you or anyone can make money and sell a good product and a cheaper price than somebody else I'll be at your doorstep with cash in hand.

Edwin
Old 04-16-2006, 07:40 PM

Hi Oilguy,

I´m normally not a person that runs away when seeing a problem. I think with some investigation it should be possible to get those 10-15 tons of plastic/waste oil per day. But I just don´t know where to get 4 mio $ to get things rolling, that´s the toughest part I think. Especially because I´m quite broke on $$$ at the moment. I´ll go to my bank the next days and try to get some informations, perhaps with a good business plan it is an easy task. 120000 $ a month win appeals very nice to me. Let it be 1 mio $ profit a year and it would still appeal a lot to me. But first I have to get some informations from the company that sells this plant and then I´ll see how it goes.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could this unit convert green biomass into oil?

Last time I was at CE-CERT a big thing going on was conversion of saplings and grass and the like into useable fuel.

The best thing about that was that getting tons of it was easy, and that nobody does anything with the stuff.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:38 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't 97% of the problem with anything like this the "Not in my Back Yard" mentality?

Someone might secure the raw material, equipment & personnel, but who's going to be able to afford the M-1 (or whatever you call it in your area) Heavy Industrial land to put this thing on??
I sold a Junk Yard to a guy back in 2004, He bought 34 Acres of "Business General" land and applied for a special exception rather than trying to buy the properly zoned land. off the bat.
He bought 34 Acres for about half of what it would have cost him to buy 5 Acres of M-1 (A cool 1 Million by the way).

Depends on where you are at I guess.
Old 04-17-2006, 10:16 AM

This machine is only 40' x 18' x 31'... I am not thinking I would have it in my back yard but here is Texas you don't have zoning out in the county.
Also there are a lot of people areound here that are "Keep it local" minded that will give or sell at a cheaper rate their Waste oil or plastics rather than seeing it go out of town or out of state..
There is soooo many oil rigs around here and pump sites/natural gas wells that most people don't really pay attention unless you are drilling horizontally under their property ($$) It there is a fuel processor on a property here people don't really care... They see rigs running everywhere around here and they LOVE It! the more rigs... the more Jobs... The more money rolling into the community.

I think I am going to look in to the Gov Sub and talk to the Small Business Development Center to see if they can run some numbers on it. They can do a lot of the legwork in getting a Gov Garanteed loan and work out the details of the Gov Grant...

Oilguy