Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

discover gas card worth it or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
discover gas card worth it or not ?

Recently while posting a price on a site that tracks and lists fuel prices I had a link show up to save more on gas via cash back on fuel purchases. Anyone have any experience with the discover card or any other that actually make it worth getting the card ? I have one card now that I do all my purchasing with, but the rewards are nill. I guess I buy 70 bux of fuel a week, which works out to 364 dollars a year at the 5% discover offers. That's just over 5 tanks of fuel free a year, kinda sounds worth it, but any other strings that I could get snagged in ? What have you had luck with, or what has been the one to avoid ?
Old 08-22-2009, 10:19 AM

You get a little back. It's 5% supposidly, I just started using it last month so I've only got one statement in which I just looked for the stub and can't find it but I saved a few bucks.

If you pay off your balance every month I'd go for it. I can't see any strings attached.

If it's truely 5% off that is like almost 13 cents per gallon if diesel is costing $2.50.

I'm going to find my statement for you because I'm curious too now.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:26 AM

Read the fine print Mike, I got the Discover card solely for Cash Back Rewards a handful of years ago. BUT, recently it has been changed to you get 5% back on the first $100 for each month. There have to be better offers out there, I just haven't had time to research them and ditch Discover yet...

your tire decision for hte Grizzzz will be made soon, go find us the best CC for fuel/gas usage
Old 08-25-2009, 01:06 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Discover card is the ONLY card I ever had a problem with. I have excellent credit, pay my bills on time, never an issue of any kind. I had a Discover card and out of the blue they raised my interest rate for no reason other than greed.

I wrote them a check for the balance and refuse to ever use one again even though I am bombarded by them monthly trying to get me back. I understand them raising rates on people who are late or have a history of problems with their payments, but I NEVER did.

I don't trust them and never will again.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:26 PM

The station where I get my fuel gives a 4 cent per gallon discount for cash. Not much but every little bit helps.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:36 AM

I ditched discover card years ago and every year I get a new card in the mail for the account I closed 5+ years ago, thats now open again and I have closed every year since. Leave them the heck alone!
Old 08-27-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where I buy diesel at I get 4 cent off coupons, you get the discount no matter how you pay be it credit card, cash or debit card.

As for the Discover card I closed that account years ago as I got tired of them raising the interest rate anytime they wanted to even though your not making your payments late.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:09 PM

i have a Chase card, that gives me a 5% rebate on all fuel and grocery purchases. So i try to pay for everything with that card and it makes a pretty big difference in the final statement at the end of the year, you can see that you got literaly hundreds of dollars worth of free fuel and food

there are no strings attached and I pay it off in full every month, so it ends up being a good deal for me. Your mileage may vary.