Can you run straight (filtered) WMO? - Page 5 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Can you run straight (filtered) WMO?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Just for the record, 2003 Dodge Cummins 4X4 club cab converted to straight wvo, davco onboard coolant fuel filter amoungst other modifications (not to engine) running 9,000 since conversion. Friend has 2006 Ford 350 6.0 and converted to wvo same setup and running 13,000 since conversion. On top of this we both live in Wisconsin where for the past 2 months we have seen a handfull of days in the 20's degrees rest have been in the mid teen with temps reaching -41 below (not windchill).
Old 01-27-2009, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by newtonhubcap View Post
Just for the record, 2003 Dodge Cummins 4X4 club cab converted to straight wvo, davco onboard coolant fuel filter amoungst other modifications (not to engine) running 9,000 since conversion. Friend has 2006 Ford 350 6.0 and converted to wvo same setup and running 13,000 since conversion. On top of this we both live in Wisconsin where for the past 2 months we have seen a handfull of days in the 20's degrees rest have been in the mid teen with temps reaching -41 below (not windchill).
Just for the record, this thread is about WMO, not WVO
Old 01-28-2009, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ocmechanx View Post
I tried for the first time running WMO in my truck, being I own a garage I have a fairly good supply of it and I know where it comes from.

I ran about a 50/50 mix, truck ran fine actually much quieter but plugged the filter up within 20 miles of driving, no big deal and now I know the truck will run on it.

Just looking for opinions on filtering solutions, looked into using the frantz filters on the filtering sys I made on a 55gal drum.
What I do is run 50/50 in the winter & upto 90/10 summer, dino only filter to 2 microns thru a water seperator has worked well for over 4 years for me.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:05 AM

I use 2 different filtering set ups , 1st because I do not now for sure the history of the oil & container , an oil dual by pass filter set up , to go from what ever container I get it in , then while sitting in a 55 gal. drum , I cycle it through a DieselCraft centrifuge about 5 times , cleaning it out 2-3 times .
This brings it down to 1/10th micron .
Old 01-29-2009, 09:58 AM

i tried a small amount wmo and wvo filtered to 2 micron.
both non standard fuels throws a egr code.
using 100% bio-diesel resulted in no codes.
and my truck runs normal. loaded or empty.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 PM

I like the info. Here's what I'm worried about: tiny little microscopic pieces of metal floating around in my fuel, being pumped by my already crappy stock fuel pump, and being injected at high pressure and temps into an area of my engine that those things aren't supposed to be in. As in, the oil is supposed to be down in the case and piston walls, not up in the combustion area. Does anyone else see melted metal shavings from the WMO being deposited, uh, everywhere? Is filtering down to 1 micron going to remove this stuff?

The reason I bring this up is that I also have a VW Jetta TDI, and this topic has been beaten to death over on Fred's TDI Forums. General consensus is that it's a bad idea for the TDI engine, but I'd like to hear more Cummins-specific opinions.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM

What are you guys using for a pump on your filtering setups?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:07 PM

I'm using a tuthill waste oil pump from yant equipment pumps 18 qts/min.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by bakdoor View Post
I like the info. Here's what I'm worried about: tiny little microscopic pieces of metal floating around in my fuel, being pumped by my already crappy stock fuel pump, and being injected at high pressure and temps into an area of my engine that those things aren't supposed to be in. As in, the oil is supposed to be down in the case and piston walls, not up in the combustion area. Does anyone else see melted metal shavings from the WMO being deposited, uh, everywhere? Is filtering down to 1 micron going to remove this stuff?

The reason I bring this up is that I also have a VW Jetta TDI, and this topic has been beaten to death over on Fred's TDI Forums. General consensus is that it's a bad idea for the TDI engine, but I'd like to hear more Cummins-specific opinions.
so there is no metal in diesel fuel from running thru a thousand pumps by the time it gets to your tank. every time a pump runs it is wearing out wich is metal in fuel water whatever same with motor oil and you IP lift pump and oil pump jmo
Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 AM

If your using the correct filter , it will filter to size the pump can take , but also it looks like many are filtering before putting in tank .
Like I mentioned earlier , using a centrifuge , filters to 1/10th micron .
If you worry to the point of your last statement , then you would never put anything in your tank .
Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 AM

Where are you guys finding WMO sources? I stopped by a few oil change places and they all dump the antifreeze, tranny fluid, who knows what else in the waste oil tanks.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by ~Angry Tractor~ View Post
Where are you guys finding WMO sources? I stopped by a few oil change places and they all dump the antifreeze, tranny fluid, who knows what else in the waste oil tanks.
Wow, they are missing the boat. Most places here separate it because they sell the WMO.

Haven't bought any for awhile, but they used to get a buck a gallon for reasonably clean stuff.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:25 PM

Just talk to people in your area , I collect both WMO & WVO , have never paid for any , except for driving & my labor .
I basically only get WMO from other diesel owners , they know not to put anything else in , but the big issue is , fewer harmful things is diesel crankcase oil .
But then other oils also , compressor oil ect.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 AM

I get it from the dealership I used to work at. I pour it myself from the Lube rack so straight WMO. I have the Airdog pump so I have the 10 micron on the pump with a NAPA 19 micron filter as a prefilter on the fuel line between the tank and the airdog. Works good so far.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ttcfan4476 View Post
so there is no metal in diesel fuel from running thru a thousand pumps by the time it gets to your tank. every time a pump runs it is wearing out wich is metal in fuel water whatever same with motor oil and you IP lift pump and oil pump jmo
I think you're comparing apples to oranges, my friend. You're talking about oil that was circulating in a high temperature, high pressure environment that, by the very nature of what it's used for (ie, primary lubrication and cooling of a large diesel engine,) has lots of wear particles in it...vs fuel that, while it has been pumped many times through various pumping systems before it gets to your retail usage point, is also filtered along the way and does not contain near the same amount of wear particles. I appreciate your point about D2 having *some* wear particles in it, but you can't compare it to WMO.

That said, I'm still not opposed to using WMO in the CTD. Anyone tried running WMO through a coffee filter? It'd take a while, but I'm not really in any hurry...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you run straight (filtered) WMO?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.