Can you run straight (filtered) WMO? - Page 4 - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums



Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Can you run straight (filtered) WMO?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #46  
Top's Younger Twin
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Thanks Don M!
Posts: 3,704
I am on my second tank of fuel with 3 gallons of WMO to a full tank of diesel.
All I did was run the old oil from one 5 gallon can through my Baldwin set up with 12V Walbro pump to another 5 gallon can...then poured the 3 gallons into the tank. I pulled the fuel filter and did surgery on it. The filter was black but in good condition. I carry two spare fuel filters in the truck at all times. Today I am going to operate on the plastic fender well to make it easier for me to reach in and change the fuel filter. The 6.7 filter is a bit of a task to change but I am able to do it in under 10 minutes. Having a bit more access in the wheel well will help. I am thinking about doing a remote or different fuel filter set up. I wonder if the 5.9 filter and assembly will work on the 6.7?

Scotty
Scotty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:18 PM   #47  
Registered User
 
badme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Claremont, NH
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMRODD View Post
How are you guy mixing the oil with diesel are you just dumping in the 25-50% and just toping off with fuel. Or are you mixing the diesel with the oil before you put in the truck? Does this matter
I just went threw my first tank just added 5 gallons of used oil truck ran completely the same. I ran this on my 85 ford 6.9 diesel. I won't try it anytime soon on my 06.
When I ran it in my GMC I just poured it in and then went to the gas station and topped off.
badme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:23 PM   #48  
Registered User
 
jriggs_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 194
I too usually add the WMO then go to the gas station and add fuel. I should note my experience with 95% WMO here....added about 20 gal of WMO to my tank that was already about 75% then was going to go top off but decided I would take my chances and see what happens, drove about 30 miles before shutting it off for the night, all was well til morning, it was about 60 degrees outside, truck cranked for about 10 seconds before firing, then RPMS would only climb to about 1000, had to drive really slow to work until Coolant temp climbed and fuel temp started to climb to about 90 deg. then truck started acting again, so heres my theory...oil will only efficently combust when cylinder temps are warm enough to allow it. so if i can build a setup that will start a truck using #2 and allow it to run for 20 min or whatever then flip a switch and pull off of an aux. tank i believe you could run off of extremely high amounts of WMO, one thing to note, fuel pressure will suffer under accel. with lots of WMO so your setup needs to be able to deliver, i have a very open setup so I can only imagine how magnified this would be trying to run on a stock fuel setup

Im bouncing this idea around though about the aux tank for WMO, but im trying to figure what it going to require in the winter to keep the tank at 60 or so degrees when its sitting outside
jriggs_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:30 PM   #49  
Registered User
 
badme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Claremont, NH
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriggs_18 View Post
I too usually add the WMO then go to the gas station and add fuel. I should note my experience with 95% WMO here....added about 20 gal of WMO to my tank that was already about 75% then was going to go top off but decided I would take my chances and see what happens, drove about 30 miles before shutting it off for the night, all was well til morning, it was about 60 degrees outside, truck cranked for about 10 seconds before firing, then RPMS would only climb to about 1000, had to drive really slow to work until Coolant temp climbed and fuel temp started to climb to about 90 deg. then truck started acting again, so heres my theory...oil will only efficently combust when cylinder temps are warm enough to allow it. so if i can build a setup that will start a truck using #2 and allow it to run for 20 min or whatever then flip a switch and pull off of an aux. tank i believe you could run off of extremely high amounts of WMO, one thing to note, fuel pressure will suffer under accel. with lots of WMO so your setup needs to be able to deliver, i have a very open setup so I can only imagine how magnified this would be trying to run on a stock fuel setup

Im bouncing this idea around though about the aux tank for WMO, but im trying to figure what it going to require in the winter to keep the tank at 60 or so degrees when its sitting outside
Add gasoline in the winter to the waste motor oil. It works great.
badme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 04:59 AM   #50  
Registered User
 
jriggs_18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 194
what % of gas should you use? and I assume this it to help thin the oil out?
jriggs_18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #51  
Registered User
 
badme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Claremont, NH
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by jriggs_18 View Post
what % of gas should you use? and I assume this it to help thin the oil out?
I ran up to 30% gas in the winter and it worked fine. Trying to stay at 20% is best, that allows room for error.
badme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:16 PM   #52  
Registered User
 
bigtruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 73
Scotty,
Hey man was wondering how it is going for you and yoru 6.7. With the WMO and all, Cummins approves up to 20% bio so I figure you could at least use that amount of wmo to #2. Was wondering roughly how many miles you've driven using this system and if you've had any DPF issues, someone told me that it would be a bad idea because it would prematurley put the DPF in regen mode therefore defeating the purpose of trying to save fuel.
For Badme. When I was asking about Deisel secret, I got a lot of bad info of this product because it contains a certain amount of gasoline, and a lot of guys were saying gas in a deisel is a big no no.
bigtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #53  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 911
good to know someone else has done this first...

been running up to 90% motors to point of clogging injectors.
thinking 50% mix waste oil to diesel should be great for 12v.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=207823

Quote:
Originally Posted by badme View Post
Add gasoline in the winter to the waste motor oil. It works great.
2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:28 PM   #54  
Registered User
 
badme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Claremont, NH
Posts: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtruck View Post
Scotty,
Hey man was wondering how it is going for you and yoru 6.7. With the WMO and all, Cummins approves up to 20% bio so I figure you could at least use that amount of wmo to #2. Was wondering roughly how many miles you've driven using this system and if you've had any DPF issues, someone told me that it would be a bad idea because it would prematurley put the DPF in regen mode therefore defeating the purpose of trying to save fuel.
For Badme. When I was asking about Deisel secret, I got a lot of bad info of this product because it contains a certain amount of gasoline, and a lot of guys were saying gas in a deisel is a big no no.
I have been running gas in my diesels in the winter for 30 years, and I have never had a problem yet.
badme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 05:10 AM   #55  
Registered User
 
bigtruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 73
Looks like I've found a good solution then. Once I get back from Iraq, I'm going to start running filtered WMO cut with Gasoline in the winter. About how much Gas do you use per gallon or quart of WMO. Thanks
bigtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #56  
Registered User
 
badme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Claremont, NH
Posts: 844
has to be less than 30% gas or it will go KABOOM. 1 quart gas to 5 gallons oil is good for winter use. In the summer 50% waste oil 50% diesel works good.
badme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #57  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 911
thanks for the info... how many miles have you run your cummins using these parameters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by badme View Post
has to be less than 30% gas or it will go KABOOM. 1 quart gas to 5 gallons oil is good for winter use. In the summer 50% waste oil 50% diesel works good.
2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 07:14 PM   #58  
Registered User
 
badme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Claremont, NH
Posts: 844
I Have not run waste oil yet on the Cummins. I have done it on Vw's Mercedes, Ford Powerjoke, and GMC diesels. I have run Gasoline in my cummins in the winter and it has worked well and the fuel has never jelled. I do not have enough faith in the vp-44's to run waste oil yet. My next purchase will be a spare vp-44, then I will switch to waste oil.
badme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:43 PM   #59  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 34
hay chris how much for the wmo
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #60  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmurray View Post
I am now running Valvoline Premium Blue and have a half galon of Rotella left over from previous oil changes...

1/2 galon never used new in the jug.... could I just pour it into my tank as is? could I expect any problems? I just put a new wix fuel filter in today, so that should be good...

Go for it new oil is just fine as long as its dino not syn.
shorthair is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I run straight water in cooling system? MARF75 1st Gen. Ram - All Topics 15 06-16-2011 09:13 AM
A Platform I can Accept(Well Most of It)Run Bill Run irocpractice Political Discussion 1 04-07-2011 01:44 PM
straight wmo ? dodgethis91cmns Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices 9 01-23-2011 07:23 PM
Standard WMO vs. Synthetic WMO PADuallyBoy Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices 28 01-28-2009 04:44 PM
How do you filter your WMO? What raito? madhat Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices 64 10-13-2008 06:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:40 PM.


Copyright 2017, DieselTruckResource.com
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.