Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/)
-   -   Can you run straight (filtered) WMO? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/fuels-biodiesel-diesel-prices-110/can-you-run-straight-filtered-wmo-201878/)

Ocmechanx 04-20-2008 11:42 PM

Can you run straight (filtered) WMO?

I tried for the first time running WMO in my truck, being I own a garage I have a fairly good supply of it and I know where it comes from.

I ran about a 50/50 mix, truck ran fine actually much quieter but plugged the filter up within 20 miles of driving, no big deal and now I know the truck will run on it.

Just looking for opinions on filtering solutions, looked into using the frantz filters on the filtering sys I made on a 55gal drum.

ttcfan4476 04-21-2008 01:56 AM

i use a 5 micron filter and dump it in about 5 to 10 gallons at a time dependes on where my fuel guage sits and fill up the rest of the way with #2

Ocmechanx 04-21-2008 08:47 AM

Also after filtering down to a sub micron level instead of having to run alot of diesel to cut with the oil (to lower viscosity) could you use a stronger solvent and just less of it, say mineral oil or comparable?

And when I changed the FF I noticed that at 50% the viscosity of the mix was at a very acceptable level, as far as what the LP/IP's are comforatbly capable of on the 12v's at least in my opinion ASE master certified or not.

Any info from first hand exp would be great, like that crud they run in the larger ocean going vessels.

jriggs_18 04-22-2008 10:15 AM

I too have a good supply of WMO i was thinking about putting together a filter and pump assembly w/ 2 ES fleetguards a 5 and 2 micron to run b4 it goes in my tank, does anyone know of a 1 micron spin on filter? also my home brewed fuel system has much more filter media than a stock filter so im thinking i will still get a good life out of my filters on my truck, if i use 1/3 WMO to #2 so bout 10 gal per tank saves me about $42, so for that savings i can add 2 MMO's or a 96oz of powerservice and still be money ahead, sure i will have to change the filter pump assembly filters often but i believe im still going to save at least $30 a week, so if my truck runs for a year 52x30=$1560 annually, sounds good to me--as long as my VP doesnt take a dump but thats a risk i will have to take, what do you all think?

stumpjumper 04-22-2008 11:32 PM

i tried it in my '05. 4 gallons to a full tank. at a half tank it gets very unhappy and last time i barely made it back to the fuel station.

jkidd 04-22-2008 11:37 PM

I had thought of doing this, water filters offer lots of filter area and can be had cheap.. not sure how resilient PVC pie would be for a hose. they may soak a bunch of oil though.
Davco makes a nice filter that uses WIX filter media. The fuel will go to the top when it needs changing. Might be nice to not have to guess when it needs changed.

jkidd 04-22-2008 11:39 PM

Also the Davco can come with a 12v or 120v heater in the unit. hat fuel is not good for the vp44, but if you were to use in a 12v or at the house it would not be an issue

67HotRod 04-22-2008 11:43 PM

I've run it in several trucks I have had over the years. I draw it from the top of a 55 gal storage drum. I have added a 2 micron permacool spin on fuel filter to the fuel line, right out of the truck fuel tank. 50/50 mix and it only smokes a bit more under full throttle. ATF (dino) and hydralyic fluid work even better.

Raspy 04-23-2008 12:25 AM

I know for a fact you can run straight motor oil in a 1st gen because I've done it. Over the years I've run quite a bit of waste oil and very old heating oil in my various diesels and I've never had a problem. Cummins, Perkins, Isuzu and Mercedes have all run just fine. I've also never been careful as to the percentage. Just run what you want and all is well. Mine has all been on mechanical injection systems and not on common rail systems.

One night I ran my 1st gen out of fuel way out in the country. I coaxed it along as far as I could and finally it quit and was completely out of fuel. I poured in a couple gallons or so of motor oil that I had with me, bled the system and started it up. Well, it ran just the same as always and I drove on for miles.

To all the naysayers out there I simply ask you to show any damage that can be traced to running oil. I've asked this before and never got a response. No need for any guessing or theorizing, just tell us what failed because of running oil. If anyone can show damage it would be a great service to the members here and save them a lot of trouble. Meanwhile, I think it's a great way to dispose of and get some benefit from used oil.

John

Ocmechanx 04-23-2008 09:52 AM

Thanks so much for the replys, as said before I've ran better than 50/50 mix in it and it ran great however it did stop the filter up, but the big thing is IT DID RUN all I got to do now is get a better filtering system.

So how bout those frantz filters anyone, and cutting the fuel with a solvent to get the viscocity closer to diesel?

jriggs_18 04-29-2008 08:57 AM

Well my results so far have been encouraging. Ive run about 22 gal of oil mixed with 20 or so gal of #2. I built a little pump setup with a FS1000 10 mic. and a FF5320 2 mic. The filters show no sign of restriction yet. At least in the warmer months I wont have to worry about the truck Filters clogging. The pump/filter setup has paid of itself almost in a week and a half.[guitar] truck runs just fine, smokes a little more, lets hope nothing bad is happening in my engine. I also am going to cut my oil interval in half and send it in for analysis to make sure nothing is going wrong down there. ill keep you posted[coffee]

John Faughn 04-29-2008 10:17 AM

I going to get a centrifuge filtering system [ never by an other filter ] , runs off oil pressure , filters done to sub micron and removes water better than most filters , takes up less space than many .

kawi600 04-29-2008 10:23 AM

There are people that take veggie oil and cut it with gas and kerosene to get it to play with a diesel motor, but Id never do that personally. Seems like a huge risk on an expensive rig.
I think I saw something about 5% WMO being okay with cummins.. but Id bet going even as high as 50/50 isnt going to hurt anything.
The main problem (after filtering) would be with a poor spray pattern and poor combustion. If you have a non-VP44 truck you could heat the fuel prior to injection with a heat exchanger. You could try to save the motor oil for long highway trips or towing when the motor gets good and hot so it burns cleaner. You could also change the engine oil more frequently to get rid of the extra soot and gunk from the poorer combustion.
Remember engine oil isnt made to be burned like 2-stroke oil, so it will likely burn dirty.
Oh yeah.. if you want to filter the oil well and remove most of the soot, you can pressurize a container with oil in it and force it through a frantz filter. Thats sub-micron filtration and I know it traps soot for a fact.

ChrisLib 04-29-2008 05:36 PM

To the folks who report more smoke, is it black/diesel sooty smoke or blueish oil burning type smoke. Also have you noticed a change in the smell of the exhaust? I also have access to more WMO than I could ever use myself and ya can`t beat the price.

jriggs_18 04-29-2008 08:42 PM

exhaust does smokes more and smells but i sure dont care as long as nothin breaks