Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Black diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 07:22 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahh.... there they are. Looks like a good system.

Britt

Old 10-18-2005, 03:23 PM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
Originally Posted by infidel
zack, since you have a 12 valve you better be careful, someday you might be pouring a chewed up KDP into your tank.
Sure the filter cleans up the oil but the sludge ends up in the bottom of the pan. Think it would be a good idea just to at least run it though a screen in order to get longer life out of your fuel filter.
Thanks for the concern, My local dodge house replaced the KDP and front timing cover among other things a few yaears ago and left the old kdp in the pan.....i found it after i dropped the pan for a new gasket.....

The KDP is permanently fixxed now.........

So, what else should i worry about from runnin oil.......

I do value you opinoin Infidel since you are usually one of the first to answer my questions on here...
Old 10-18-2005, 07:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Zack, I was kidding about the KDP, you'll have no problem running used oil in your 12 valve.
Personally I would pour the oil though a paint strainer just to increase the life of your fuel filter.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:04 PM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
INFIDEL, I WAS NOT OFFENDED IN ANY WAY......THE KDP IS A TOUCHY SUBJECT AFTER WHAT THE DEALER DID......

WHERE DO I PICK UP A PAINT STRAINER AND HOW MUCH DO THEY COST.....

I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE ROPE AND 2 BUCKETS TRICK.....HOW DOES THE OIL GET FROM ONE BUCKET TO THE OTHER THOUGH?

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
ZACK
Old 10-18-2005, 10:11 PM

It works by weeping from one to the other... kinda like a siphon... but you are going to be there a long time... it is slow and messy.
I would think of this as a last resort or science experiment.
Oilguy
Old 10-18-2005, 10:27 PM

You should be able to get paint strainers at any auto paint outlet. Napa used to have them also.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Marine
Probably the best thing would be a 2 stage filtering system. First run with a course filter, second one with a fine filter.
I would think that a nylon stocking (or panty hose) would work well as a "stage one" filter. I aquired several "Oberg filters" and use one on my dyno as I like opening it up and inspecting to "read" what is going on in the engine. They flow very freely and come with different micron screens available. I believe the one I am using is a 8 micron screen and yet it flows bigtime. I also have quite a few new and a couple of used Frantz units from an earlier business, and it seems they snag anything larger than something closer to 2 micron, but would be much slower.
This post came at the perfect time for me, as I have been tripping over 60-80 gal. of waste oil that has on an average of 1 hour of dyno time on it. Gadz....I can bump up my mileage and clear this stuff out at the same time.
My questions are these: Any problem burning Mobil 1 10W30 full synthetic oil, and how rich do I dare mix it. I have read 5%(Cummins) to 25%. I will probably start at the 5% mix and maybe work my way up to something like 10%. If the oil gives off the same BTUs, I could effectively end up pulling something well over 20mpg from my 600CTD.......YAHOOO!!
Mike
Old 10-19-2005, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by zack_76401

WHERE DO I PICK UP A PAINT STRAINER AND HOW MUCH DO THEY COST.....

ZACK
My local Ace Hardware has them in the paint dept in three different mesh sizes, less than a buck each.
I've tried cleaning the solvent in my parts washer tank by running it though nylons, they clogged up real fast.
Then again solvent can get real dirty.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:42 AM

My local Ace Hardware has them in the paint dept in three different mesh sizes, less than a buck each.
I've tried cleaning the solvent in my parts washer tank by running it though nylons, they clogged up real fast.
Then again solvent can get real dirty.
Yeah, after thinking about it, I like the paint strainer or Oberg filter better, plus the wife always gets into a real tiff when she needs em back again!
Old 10-20-2005, 06:03 AM

Here's another question to throw in the mix...everyone assumes all oils are petroleum based. What about parrafin based oils? Will it burn the same as petroleum? better? worse? clog fuel filters? Just a thought for a new discussion
Old 10-20-2005, 06:20 AM

So how does sythetic oil play in to this equation?
Old 10-20-2005, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Kuntry
So how does sythetic oil play in to this equation?
Got after it last yesterday, and built my gravity activated oil strainer/filter/collector thinger-bobber. No big deal, but as usual, it takes longer to build it than I originally anticipated. Stage one is just a rock-stopper screen before the oil passes into the 10 qt. reservoir jug. From there it passes via a short length of hose in and out of a Oberg filter and then thru some garder hose into the collection jug which is setting on the floor. The first batch of oil I dumped in was 5 qts. of Mobil 1 synthetic 10W30. Checking rate of flow indicated that the process should be completed overnite.
Now, I am hoping to hear from someone smarter than me that my 70+ gal. of synthetic oil will indeed be suitable for mixing in with the #2 in my tank. Again, I look to start at a 5% blend, and hopefully being able to working up to around 10%.
Comments please. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kuntry
So how does synthetic oil play in to this equation?
People I know who have tried burning synthetic say that with more than a couple quarts per tank that their trucks smoke a lot.
This indicates to me that synthetic doesn't burn well and that you don't really get much fuel value out of it.

I give the considerable amount of waste oil I generate to a friend who heats his shop with it. He'll take AFT, gear oil, hydraulic fluid and motor oil but asks that I leave the synthetics out. Says they clog up his heater nozzles.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:49 AM

People I know who have tried burning synthetic say that with more than a couple quarts per tank that their trucks smoke a lot.
This indicates to me that synthetic doesn't burn well and that you don't really get much fuel value out of it.

I give the considerable amount of waste oil I generate to a friend who heats his shop with it. He'll take AFT, gear oil, hydraulic fluid and motor oil but asks that I leave the synthetics out. Says they clog up his heater nozzles.
Infidel,
Thank you for the quick reply to the question posed on burning synthetics. DANGIT! Was just about to pour in my first filtered jug of the stuff. As cheap as I am, and as excited as I was about getting rid of the stuff, I sure don't want to do anything to mess up my sweet truck. Guess I will sort thru the jugs and find the Rotella that came out of said truck at the last change. To repeat myself......DANGIT!
Old 10-20-2005, 03:51 PM

So what's the point of putting waste oil in your fuel tank? Better mileage? more lube for the VP? just to get rid of it?
I think I may try it....just to get rid of the used oil

Quick Reply: Black diesel