Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Black diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filtering

You should to at least 10 micron.
How do you get around the viscosity issues?
What does it do to the cat?

Ken
Old 10-03-2005, 08:23 AM

Paint Strainer, didn't think of that, good idea!
Old 10-03-2005, 11:35 PM

I have a setup that kicks butt! I have a barrel with a fuel filter on the inlet and the out and a bypass filter in the middle that filters down to 1 micron! I have a 12 volt pump that is 5 gpm's and I hook it up to a battery charger to run it.
I suck out the diesel in the aux tank and then suck in the oil.
I have a gauge on it so I know how much of each I have and then I switch the valves so that it runs through the bypass filter for about 2 hrs.
Then I pump it through the outlet fuel filter into the truck.
I don't get any diesel or oil on me... and I just push the barrel back to the corner when I am done with it... it is on a barrel dolly.

have fun with the paper towels and paint strainers... I did that for like 5 mins and I was done with that!

Oilguy
Old 10-04-2005, 06:57 AM

Oilguy,

Where did you get your 1 micron bypass filter. How about a diagram of how you have this set up (a line drawing)?

Thanks
Allen
Old 10-04-2005, 07:44 AM

Yep, the paper towel thing got old real quick last night, endup up using a clean rag. Started to look for a more permanent setup. Right now, I'm using my old 92 6.5td chevy (mech inject) as a test pig to see how much black diesel she can run. Then I will have to think about the dodge. Would like more info on you setup oilguy.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:45 PM

Location: Lingleville TX but active duty Air Force all over the world currently
Call me crazy n it strait from the pan to the tank..no filtering or anything. I figured the oil filter would get most of the bigger stuff and the fuel filter wold take out what didnt need to be in it after that. I have never had a filter clog or any other probs doing this. Sometimes i wonder about it but a over 3 bucks a gallon ill take some chances
Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
zack, since you have a 12 valve you better be careful, someday you might be pouring a chewed up KDP into your tank.
Sure the filter cleans up the oil but the sludge ends up in the bottom of the pan. Think it would be a good idea just to at least run it though a screen in order to get longer life out of your fuel filter.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:38 PM

Well, I have been running 25% waste oil, no probems or added smoke so far. The exhaust does smell like burn oil until the engine temp comes up. I am straining the oil and running it through a home made filter for now. The strainer did catch some junk, and the oil is much cleaner after running it through the filter. I plan on buying something like Oilguy has...

Now I'm on the hunt for a continuous supply of waste oil.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by 67HotRod
Well, I have been running 25% waste oil, no probems or added smoke so far. The exhaust does smell like burn oil until the engine temp comes up. I am straining the oil and running it through a home made filter for now. The strainer did catch some junk, and the oil is much cleaner after running it through the filter. I plan on buying something like Oilguy has...

Now I'm on the hunt for a continuous supply of waste oil.
Is your truck a 12 or 24 valve? At a 25% (8 gals, in my case) mixture per tank, that's a savings of approx $24/tank. Not bad for free oil and some time filtering it, depending on how fussy one is.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:16 PM

Well, I've just drained about 8 gals of oil out of one of our work trucks. Now I've got to decide if I got the stones to put it in my fuel tank.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:34 PM

Heres a simple method, but it takes time:

Put some used oil in a 5 gallon bucket elevated so it is higher than a second 5 gallon bucket. Drop a thick cotton rope (as thick as you can find) into the elevated bucket with the used oil in it. Make sure the rope is long enough so it touches the bottom of the bucket. Let the rope hang down into the empty lower bucket, and let time and the rope do it's thing. The oil that collects in the lower bucket gets filtered by the rope. It looks almost like new oil. Takes awhile though, but simple, no energy, and cheap!
Old 10-17-2005, 06:14 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of the WVO guys use a filter bag from any number of places, Mc Master-Carr, Filterbag.com, FSI Industries, to name a few. If you want to filter on the cheap, build a stand with a 6" hole cut into the plywood top and a 5 gallon bucket under the bag. Put the bag in so the plastic lip catches the hole, pour the oil in and it will drip through into the bucket. Some of these bags are large, 6"x32", so they will hold a lot of oil before they need a refill. Heat the oil, and it will go faster. These bags can be bought for about 3.25, and last a long time. They come in just about any micron level you want. For my filter station, I use a hot water heater tank and a filterbag housing with a absolute 2 micron bag inside. I heat the oil either in the sun or with a special heating pad and with my compressor set to 15 PSI, force it through. I do 20 gallons in a few minutes.
I have heard that Cummins allows a 5% mix of used oil, but I have also read that others add a lot more than that with no problems. No matter what I would filter it to at least 5 microns, which is the minimum that is recommended for WVO.
Good luck
Old 10-17-2005, 07:00 PM

Sorry I lost track of this thread... I posted pictures of the fuel blender that I made in my gallery. It is pretty simple and you don't have to cut and weld up any holes in the barrel.
Bypass filter is a frantz filter that uses toilet paper for a filter and does a really good job. The other filters are just remote oil and fuel filters like what you find at Tractor Supply.

Oilguy
Old 10-17-2005, 07:36 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by Oilguy
Sorry I lost track of this thread... I posted pictures of the fuel blender that I made in my gallery.
Oilguy
Ummmm....No pictures there... I'm starting to see a pattern.

Britt

Old 10-17-2005, 10:45 PM

Pics have been approved and are now available for your viewing plessure.

OG

Quick Reply: Black diesel