Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Biodiesel on a 01 24 valve

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biodiesel on a 01 24 valve

There is a very good chance I will have access to biodiesel soon. A friend of mine is getting it set up, the only thing left to find are a few grease suppliers.
My question is how does the 24 valve fuel system react to biodiesel. I know the fuel system has its problems to begin with so I want to make sure this isnt going to make matters worse before I go farther with it. Any input and real world experiance would be great. Thanks

Matt
Old 03-21-2006, 06:36 PM
DTR Mom

Originally Posted by Pinkston
My question is how does the 24 valve fuel system react to biodiesel. I know the fuel system has its problems to begin with so I want to make sure this isnt going to make matters worse before I go farther with it. Any input and real world experiance would be great. Thanks

Matt

Up here in land of taxes on taxes; we are making our own biodiesel and have a 2005 CTD 1 ton 5 speed auto short box NEKKID! no modifications!

Cummins did limit the warranty to 5 percent use of alternative fuels, so make sure that doesn't affect you first of all.

Second, as you may know, all rubber lines, hoses etc, must be removed before they get spongy and make a migraine of your truck. any cold weather below 50 needs a pre heater or tank heater or start with straight diesel and then switch tanks if preferenced. scary stuff now; filtering of biodiesel has to be right for your injectors. usually a number 10 goldenrod filter (farm applications) works well for off road use. clogs will interfere ( skips, cut outs)if not titrated (like that word?) for the injector running pressure. so, close as you can get will be " Wellll, it should run okay...." this is my research and test examples with different grades of waste veggie oil. I am such a scardy cat that i bought a little merceds to try it all out on. I am just a be ginner, but I am sure you will get solid advice from this excellent site and forum!
Old 03-21-2006, 07:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Justwannabeme is mixing up Biodiesel (BD) and waste vegie oil (WVO) in the same sentence. They are two entirely different things.

Rubber hoses and seals on diesel engines built after '94 are compatible with BD.
You can run 100% BD (B100) in your '01 with no problem but will probably realize less power and mpgs. I find B20 to be the best bang for the buck.
When switching over to BD about the only thing to be aware of is that BD is a solvent and will clean out fuel system diesel deposits that can clog your fuel filter rapidly. Change your filter after the first couple of tanks and carry a spare filter and the tools to change it just in case, you will be fine.

'03 and newer trucks with common rail injection will run into trouble running any more than B50.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:38 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pinkston
A friend of mine is getting it set up, the only thing left to find are a few grease suppliers.

Matt
And there may just be the biggest problem/hassel of the whole operation.

Alot of us have pondered a BD set up, one that I thought long and hard about was the Appleseed processor. Make some stops at your local Chinesse joints, then maybe some BBQ or fast food spots. Much to my amazement they ALL had people already taking their WVO. A few spots actually have companies that specialize in WVO and animal fat drippings collection.

Good luck, I suppose every area is different.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:43 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Much to my amazement they ALL had people already taking their WVO.
Same thing happened in my area after a BD plant went in that buys WVO. The commercial guys set up contracts with most everyone who generated WVO, the little guy in his backyard is now out of luck.
I expect this trend to continue, make sure you have dependable WVO sources before you invest in any BD equipment.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:09 AM

I run B100, make it at home. Never had a problem or clogged filter, truck runs good on it. Getting oil can be a problem and unless you have free time don't try to make it. I spend between 8 to 10 hours to make 40 gallons. That includes the messy chore of collecting. If I had a big enough reactor I could make 100 gallons in that same time. You also need to find good sources of methanol and lye. And whatever you do, don't fall for a sales pitch and spend $3,000 on a turn key system. You can build one for $500.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:16 AM

where do you get your lye from?
Old 04-05-2006, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by infidel
***Rubber hoses and seals on diesel engines built after '94 are compatible with BD.
You can run 100% BD (B100) in your '01 with no problem but will probably realize less power and mpgs. I find B20 to be the best bang for the buck.
When switching over to BD about the only thing to be aware of is that BD is a solvent and will clean out fuel system diesel deposits that can clog your fuel filter rapidly. Change your filter after the first couple of tanks and carry a spare filter and the tools to change it just in case, you will be fine.***
I just watch the gauge when the pressure starts to drop from the LP I change the filter. I also change the filter every other oil change need it or not. This is not due to BioDiesel, it is cause I'm that way