Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Can I run my waste oil in a 2002 dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I run my waste oil in a 2002 dodge?

I did a search on running your waste oil after an oil change. I read that 2.5 to 3 gallons per 25 gallons of diesel is a good ratio. Can I run it in my 2002? If so what about the ratio? Will it hurt anything?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As far as I know and have read, Dodge does say it is OK to run 5% WO with the diesel. You should filter it first, no matter what. Adding the WO will add lubricity to the diesel, and it is a bit of a crapshoot. There are those who say the chemicals and metals in the WO are not a good thing, there are others who say no problem. Still others say if you want lubricity, just add a diesel additive that you know will work. I do not add it, but then again I run on WVO. I have read about others who have done it for a long time with no problems. Concerning your 2002, it should be ok, but I would do more research. There was a discussion about this some time ago, look it up, I think it was under "Black Diesel".
Old 03-29-2006, 04:18 PM

Thumbs up wo

Little-bit,

i have been running WO in my first gen now for 8K miles with no problems.

with the low quality of the diesel at the pumps a lil more lube in the fuel wont hurt any. Cummins dose recommend 5% WO. i have been running 3 gallons pre fill up. witch is 10%. i get if from neighbors, freinds, co-workers. then i filter it all through some paint filters.
i have a little haze at idle and thats it. really quiets down my IP, and injectors. pluss it cuts down on the fuel bill a little bit.

but stay away from synthetic oils. i have beedn told they will not burn as well, due to a higher flash point, and diffrent BTU's than with Dino oil.

if i had a 2002, i wouldnt think twice about adding in some WO.

Bob
Old 04-04-2006, 10:00 AM

Waste oil

Years ago farmers used to filter waste motor oil with cotton rope. They would place a bucket of oil on a shelf and let the rope sipon off the oil into a clean container. (over the top of the bucket) Then dispose of the rope around a fence post. The oil was nearly new looking.

Today, we can purchase a "Toilet Paper type" filter from Motorguard for around 50 to 70 bucks. This very same sipon can be made with tubing and a Motorguard with the 0.5 micron element. The total cost is low and the performance is good. Do this a couple of times and the used motor oil will look pretty good and (of course) contain particles no larger than about 1 micron.

Chris
Old 04-04-2006, 12:01 PM
RCW

I would not run waste oil at any ratio in a Cummins with either the VP44 injection pump, or in the newer ones with the CP3 and electric injectors. It is just find to run it in the old VE and the P pumped trucks, they have much more durable pumps.

The issue with waste oil is not the particulates that can be filtered, but the acids and glycols that are suspended and cannot be removed by filtering. Both contaminants reduce lubricity dramatically, and will lead to damage of the newer high pressure systems.

If you have enough waste oil, think about converting it to diesel using the same process used for biodiesel. The final product will be better than any pump diesel you can buy.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:52 AM

As far as I know you cannot convert waste motor oil into bio diesel. Making bio diesel is transesterifaction of vegtable oil and waste motor oil does not consist of vegtable oil.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RAFTEN
As far as I know you cannot convert waste motor oil into bio diesel. Making bio diesel is transesterifaction of vegtable oil and waste motor oil does not consist of vegtable oil.
You can convert waste oil back into regular diesel, whole different process than making BD though. Potentially more hazardous than making BD also.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:35 PM

Converting "Used" Motor oil into Diesel??
Yup!
It can be done.
Fire Ban is off in Tejas so I am firing my plant back up!

Oilguy