Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

ATF as Fuel on a 96 12V

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do know ATF is a great engine cleaner. Guys will run it through a gasser by sucking it through the PCV tube while the engine is running...it cleans the engine internals of any carbon deposits on the pistons, etc..I think it smokes like a Edit when it's done though but is suppose to work superb. So, I think some clean ATF running through a diesel would be a good thing. I might even have to try it!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by DBLR
As it has been said you can get by using ATF in a 12V but not in the newer CR ( CR = Common Rail) engines as it plays heck with the injectors do to all of the additives. Heck if you want the best lube for your fuel system then use 2% or more Bio diesel.
I have used ATF fluid in my common rail engine with no ill effects.
I have also ran engine oil (clean, and used) mixed with kerosene to run the engine.

Friction modifier used in ATF fluid is to REDUCE friction between the clutches in the transmission not increase it. So why would something with more lubriction be harder on the injection pump and injectors? What your saying does not make sense.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:42 AM

Pourin, you may be right. I really haven't researched to know, but the long accepted belief among most diesel site posters has been that the friction modifiers of which you speak increase the friction in a calculated fashion to prevent excess slippage and burning of tranny clutches while not damaging the seals and bearings.

Can you list a source for your comment that they reduce friction between the clutches?
Old 02-09-2008, 11:43 AM

Gear oil and automatic transmission friction modifiers typically serve the same purpose and that is to reduce friction and actually increase or make the lubricant more "slippery" so to say to make shifts smoother and reduce wear.
This is why when the clutches in a LSD Dana rear end would start to chatter basically meaning they would be grabbing violently you would squeeze in a bottle of Trans X limited slip modifier and this would cure the issue.

I ALSO USED TO THINK FRICTION MODIFIERS INCREASED FRICTION UNTIL I DID SOME READING!!

On another note most aftermarket transmission builders for the Cummins/Dodge package typically run an alternative fluid to Chrysler ATF like Dexron or Mercon because of their tighter clutch lock-up capabilities compared to traditional Chrysler ATF.

http://www.morethantires.com/catalog...92/1013489.htm

http://www.performanceoiltechnology....ch_chatter.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=d6k...Fvzl5CVTS2oCDA
Old 02-09-2008, 12:15 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Very interesting information. I may start using ATF instead of 2 stroke. I used ATF in the good old days, but have been Leary of using it with the info that has been put out lately. I would like to read more on this just so I get the feel good feeling when I put it in.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:17 AM

Pourin, thanks for the link. Guess its true, trust but verify.

RJR
Old 02-10-2008, 10:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My understanding on how friction modifiers work is that on a microscopic level the the modifier looks like a sperm cell.
Way it works is the head "burrows" into the clutch plate while the slippery tail hangs out and allows slippage. Once the pressure on the clutch becomes great enough the modifier is pulled out by the tail allowing more friction and grip.

My main concern using ATF for fuel isn't the friction modifier aspect but rather the fact that most modern ATF is 60% or more non-petroleum additives some of which are acids.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Gear oil and automatic transmission friction modifiers typically serve the same purpose and that is to reduce friction and actually increase or make the lubricant more "slippery" so to say to make shifts smoother and reduce wear.
This is why when the clutches in a LSD Dana rear end would start to chatter basically meaning they would be grabbing violently you would squeeze in a bottle of Trans X limited slip modifier and this would cure the issue.

I ALSO USED TO THINK FRICTION MODIFIERS INCREASED FRICTION UNTIL I DID SOME READING!!

On another note most aftermarket transmission builders for the Cummins/Dodge package typically run an alternative fluid to Chrysler ATF like Dexron or Mercon because of their tighter clutch lock-up capabilities compared to traditional Chrysler ATF.

http://www.morethantires.com/catalog...92/1013489.htm

http://www.performanceoiltechnology....ch_chatter.htm

http://books.google.com/books?id=d6k...Fvzl5CVTS2oCDA
----------------------------
Justin:

Good links buddy! Thanks for posting those.

---------
John_P
Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys this topic is quite controversial!
When I had my 95 dodge, EVERY time I added 1/2 quart of ATF the mileage went up about 2mpg!!!
However, this 02 doesn't change either way.
Friction modifiers make it slicker.
the red die is another topic!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know we use to use ATF in the early 1980's in our semi trucks with out any problems. But if it screws up the injectors then I have to pay for it to be fixed and not someone else, so I will not be using it in my fuel.