Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

ATF as Fuel on a 96 12V

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATF as Fuel on a 96 12V

Guys, a friend of mine who is a Ford Diesel Tech told me that they have a forum for employees that specifically talks about running used ATF as a fuel in their trucks, some are running in 24v Cummins.

I have a 96 12V and was wondering if this is a safe thing to do? My truck has 155K mikes on it and I commute about 100 miles a day. He said that there are guys on that forum running 100% ATF with no problems. I understand that since my 12V is all mechanical, that the injection pump is bulletproof. Would running 50% ATF be OK? He said he can get me the used ATF from all the tranny flushes they do that go through the machine. I think it even gets filtered.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about the actual combustion part (what the products are and if they're good or bad), but if you're not 100% sure it's filtered and to what level I wouldn't touch it. How long have the other guys been running it?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:13 PM

I asked him that, he said that the thread was opened on July 2006. He said that most run it on their personal trucks, mainly Powerstrokes like the 7.3 and the 6.0. Didnt ask about the new 6.4 He doesnt personally own a diesel but said he would run it with ATF as a fuel if he did own one.

Assuming I would try to do this, it probably would not hurt if i filtered it myself.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Do a search here.

It would not go anywhere near my 12V, and I burn WMO in as high as 20 percent concentrations so far.......
Old 01-23-2008, 06:11 PM

This is what I was told when I went to technical school...

Up until the late 80's or early 90's(I can't remember the date) ATF was used in all diesels to help lube engine parts that were sticking. But after whatever date, there was a change in the initial makeup of the fluid that altered the way it combusted. Whether it changed the rate at which it burned or whether there was an ingredient that doesn't burn at all, I'm not sure. I do know I was told not to use it.

But, I also know a fairly intellectual local mechanic that installs a new fuel filter, filled or at least topped off with ATF so that upon startup it'll supply lubrication to the injectors. I've seen it temporarily fix things but I'm still not going to say it's recommended especially considering he's a bit arrogant when it comes to reason. If it works for him, he'll continue to use it.

Mike
Old 01-24-2008, 07:50 AM

Thanks Guys!

I've done some reading and most comments point to it being not a good idea. I'll stay away from it.

By the way, that friend of mine who is a Ford Diesel Tech also fills the fuel filters with ATF. Must be a common practice.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:55 PM

Not a good practice. The additives in ATF or any hydraulic fluid leave a nasty residue. Adding ATF to your fuel is a lame excuse for running off road fue when the tax man cometh.l.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree it does lubricate, but I wouldn't do it. We've used it before on remanufactured gasser engines to help get them started, but that's as far as I would go. I would use Seafoam (it is alcohol based, so don't make a constant habit out of it) in the canister after a fuel filter change, it will clean all of your injectors and fuel system.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by rip 112
I would use Seafoam (it is alcohol based, so don't make a constant habit out of it) in the canister after a fuel filter change, it will clean all of your injectors and fuel system.
If we're talking Seafoam as in fuel condition, that stuff shouldn't be overused in your fuel either(follow recommended usage). I was taught that fuel conditioner, when overused, takes on a mild effect like 'floor dry'/'cat litter'. It takes away the typical lubricating properties of your basic fuel. In order for conditioner to dry up water, it can't 100% lubricate at the same time. My teacher from tech school showed us straight conditioner on parts... and after setting... it turned to a white-like, 'chemical looking' dry. I'm sure different conditioners have different effects but I'm positive they'e not made to lube things as well as actual diesel. Don't quote me on everything, this is just what I've been shown/told.

Mike
Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 AM

I would think ATF would have way to many friction modifiers in it to tear up pump with. Run WMO. Its easier to come by and in greater quantities.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 PM

I have a buddy running 50/50 ATF diesel, in his 01 dodge and has done it for the last 20,000+ miles. He is a ford diesel mech. and said ATF is just good injector cleaner.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:20 PM

It may work OK in the older 12V engines but like it has been said modern ATF has a lot of friction modifiers in it that will cause problems for the CR high pressure fuel systems.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 PM

ATF as an additive to a 12V type truck will result in...............

Smoother engine running, increased throttle response and probably a little better mileage and better pump lubrication.

I have used it and will use it again.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 AM

i just stick to my two stroke oil.

alot of guys using new atf not used here in toronton there two trucks. mostly duramax and powerstrokers.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:15 AM

As it has been said you can get by using ATF in a 12V but not in the newer CR ( CR = Common Rail) engines as it plays heck with the injectors do to all of the additives. Heck if you want the best lube for your fuel system then use 2% or more Bio diesel.

Quick Reply: ATF as Fuel on a 96 12V