Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

Adding ATF to fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding ATF to fuel?

I spoke recently with an individual that rebuilds fuel pumps as a hobby and plays around with some fuel system performance stuff. Anyway he told me that adding atf to my fuel will greatly improve pump and injector longevity. This makes sence to me being that ATF is a high detergent oil in a way but was wondering if anyone else has heard this same thing? He told me to run about 1 oz to about every 2 gallons which would mean about a half quart per fill. What are the best additives for diesel that are available now for winter and summer use?-Frog
Old 03-07-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The new ATF fluid is not a good choice for adding to fuel like it was years ago.

Not a good idea.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:08 PM

There is another thread floating around on this subject.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:33 PM

ATF added:

I used to do that years ago, but now with some States checking the fuel color as a tax indicator, may not be such a good idea. I understand the fines can be really high.
Old 03-07-2006, 07:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Adding ATF to diesel is an old practice dating from the days when ATF was just oil not the modern concoction it is now. Modern ATF is designed not to burn and will leave damaging ash deposits in your engine.
Most of the time people who recommend adding ATF are old timers or folks who were told by old timers.
Use a made for diesel fuel additive, cheaper in the long run.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:15 PM

ATF or not

Originally Posted by thefrog
I spoke recently with an individual that rebuilds fuel pumps as a hobby and plays around with some fuel system performance stuff. Anyway he told me that adding atf to my fuel will greatly improve pump and injector longevity. This makes sence to me being that ATF is a high detergent oil in a way but was wondering if anyone else has heard this same thing? He told me to run about 1 oz to about every 2 gallons which would mean about a half quart per fill. What are the best additives for diesel that are available now for winter and summer use?-Frog
ATF has some realy strong friction enhancers in it I dont think i would want it in my fuel because of that but it also has some excellant cleaning agents to.
Cookieman
Old 03-07-2006, 08:40 PM

This topic comes up frequently, and the answer is always the same, NO ATF. Modern diesel injection pumps operate under much higher pressures, and are made from different materials, atf causes more trouble than it prevents.
Yes, todays fuel does not have the lubricity it should, and an additive won't hurt, but use something designed for modern motors. Howes, Lucas, FPPF, Power Service, etc. Some even use Marvel Mystery Oil, which is much better than atf.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:31 PM
Chapter President

If you are looking to just add lubricity to the fuel system, a good cost effective way is to put TCW-3 2stroke oil. It has been discusse a lot recently and everyone aggrees it should be ok. It's made to burn clean in an internal combustion engine with with no problems.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:31 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Or you can do as several of us do and add acouple quarts of your used motor oil( kept after an oil change) to your fuel, look at the posts about "black diesel".
just strain and filter it first.....
Old 03-09-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Or you can do as several of us do and add acouple quarts of your used motor oil( kept after an oil change) to your fuel, look at the posts about "black diesel".
just strain and filter it first.....
Here we go again!

IMHO. Motor oil is not meant to be burned either. Take a teasoon full and hold it over a propane torch. Obviously, becareful. See all that crud left over? Bad for engines.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:49 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Several reasons not to run it :

1. ATF (any flavor) is red in color. It also turns your fuel red. It would be hard to explain red fuel if you ever get dipped.

2. ATF also has friction modifiers in it meant for clutch paks in trannies, not in injection pumps with tight tolerances.

3. This kinda falls under "right tool for the right job". There are much better and cheaper additives to put in the tank designed for diesel engines.

And number 4. This is a quote from another forum. The guy that posted this works in the petrochem industry.
Originally Posted by Flash
How about we look at the chemistry that makes up the Ford ATFs. If you are using Mercon V for your additive, it is a generally 20w mineral fluid and sometimes is a PAO basestock with some diesters. Not bad so far. Now comes the additive package with 2200-2500 ppm's sulphur and 600-800 ppm's of zinc. I don't think I would want to purposely run that much sulphur thru my engine as it will end up as sulphuric acid in the oil. And that much zinc run thru the injectors has got to eventually cause some erosion. So, lets look at Fords Type F ATF. It is a 20w mineral fluid with 12,000-13,000 ppm's of phosphorus, 3500 ppm's zinc, and about 800 ppm's barium. I can't believe this wouldn't poison a diesel engine. The acid load on the oil has to be tremendous. I would suggest using an additive that is made to do the job if you are using an additive at all.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I got my truck it was running like crap and I was getting 13.8 MPG my friend is old diesel mechanic and he told me to use ATF after one fuel tank the engine runs excellent and I get 21-22 MPG on the faraway, I m using the ATF for 2 year and no problems at all I ad one quart on one tank
The following 2 users liked this post by goran_volvo:
Awoll (12-27-2021), BearKiller (10-30-2023)
Old 02-07-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The majority of modern ATF formulations contain friction modifiers incorporated within their additive package that benefit automatic transmissions. With that being said, using ATF as a fuel supplement in the common-rail fuel systems may cause premature component wear and compromise the integrity of the fuel system. I would also caution that ATF can leave ash deposits behind.

The modern fuel systems and ATF's of today are not as simple as they once were.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by goran_volvo
When I got my truck it was running like crap and I was getting 13.8 MPG my friend is old diesel mechanic and he told me to use ATF after one fuel tank the engine runs excellent and I get 21-22 MPG on the faraway, I m using the ATF for 2 year and no problems at all I ad one quart on one tank
Yep makes sense that he is an OLD diesel mechanic recommending something like this. Anyone who understands the new fuel systems and the new formulations of ATF would NEVER tell you to do such a thing Todays ATf is NOT the same as Yesterdays ATF, if you are going to put that in your fuel, you might as well toss a handful of dirt in there as well.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:28 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least once a month I get a set of CR injectors in the shop that are nasty from the use of either ATF or used engine oil being poured in the tank. It makes a huge mess and I cant always get them back to serviceable.

Black, goopy, sticky stuff that eventually locks the injector up. I have seen pintles that simply will not come out of their companion nozzle no matter what we do.

Quick Reply: Adding ATF to fuel?