Fuels / BioDiesel / Diesel Prices Use this forum to discuss your biodiesel information, and to find the best price on fuel.

2 mic filter or water seperator

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 mic filter or water seperator

i'm planning to start running more bio to help with fuel expenses. i know cummins allows 20% if additional water seperator is in place, so i had planned to install a water seperator on the frame rail before the factory filter (have the filter head and filter, waiting on the adaptor fittings).

would i be better off just using the filter head and putting a 2 mic filter between the factory filter and cp3? or should i stick with the original plan for f/w seperator. i'd do both, but im running a factory in tank lift pump. does the large 2 mic filter trap any water?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Your factory filter canister should have dual filtration...water and fuel....probably only 10micron rated.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:46 AM

Anything you can do for better filtration , a centrifuge is best , sometimes called spinner , or fuel polishing .
As for regular filters , do not use paper / cellulose , with the chance of water content , the paper expands & plugs up .
I bought a Napa filter that has a clear plastic screw on bottom [ changing just the filter ] that the water drains to , then open a valve to drain water .
But Dieselcraft has a product that is my future best looking / working , system .

http://www.dieselcraft.com/productinfo_1.htm
Old 07-03-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by high bid
Your factory filter canister should have dual filtration...water and fuel....probably only 10micron rated.
i run the 7 mic, but have heard of people with water problems and never even a WIF light. bio gathers water moreso than regular #2, so i guess thats why cummins calls for additional water seperation in order to run more than 5%. i have a 20 mic (iirc) filter with water drain on it (says water seperator on filter). my question was more of.....do the large 2 mic filters trap water (2 birds; 1 stone) or should i go ahead and install this f/w seperator.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The OE filter needs to be a 7 mic absolute, the only two that meet this are Baldwin, 5 mic absolute, and the OEM, 7 mic. All others are not up to the new, 2006 TSB, standard...

I would add a 2 mic and a fuel/water sep. I am going to do this on my truck and my dad just did it on his, both with the stock LP. A good filter should not impeded the flow and increase load on the LP or decrease fuel psi. The CP3 is designed as a suction pump so as long as you have flow you are fine.

The 2 mics I know of are not fuel/water seps, so you need both. The PN#'s I plan to run are Cat 1R0750 (2 mic) and Baldwin BF1212 (20 mic fuel/water sep)
Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by ah64id
The OE filter needs to be a 7 mic absolute, the only two that meet this are Baldwin, 5 mic absolute, and the OEM, 7 mic. All others are not up to the new, 2006 TSB, standard...

I would add a 2 mic and a fuel/water sep. I am going to do this on my truck and my dad just did it on his, both with the stock LP. A good filter should not impeded the flow and increase load on the LP or decrease fuel psi. The CP3 is designed as a suction pump so as long as you have flow you are fine.

The 2 mics I know of are not fuel/water seps, so you need both. The PN#'s I plan to run are Cat 1R0750 (2 mic) and Baldwin BF1212 (20 mic fuel/water sep)
i have been running the 7 mic i buy from my local cummins store. they dont come in a box, so im not sure what brand. i was toying with the idea of running the water sep and a seperate head with the 2 mic, but was unsure of the restriction for the stock lift pump. IIRC the bf1212 is what i got for the water sep.....now that you mention it, that should be minimal restriction. im looking for a fp gauge, so maybe after i get that ill get another filter head and put in a 2 mic filter also......
Old 07-03-2008, 01:08 PM

I have a 2 micron set up from Glacier Diesel. I only run the stock lift pump. My fuel pressure did not change before or after the 2 micron install. I am at 11PSI Idle before and after.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
racor aqua-blocks and water blocking filters in general can strip out water from fuel. They clog up in doing it though.
If you want to dewater your fuel, the best method Ive found is to put it back in the reactor and heat it while drawing a vacuum. Flashes the water off into steam. Youll want to rig up some sort of condenser in front of the pump though.
You could always install a remote filter closer to the tank. Something like a racor 490R. Those have a settling bowl and the ability to run their own WIF and heat.