Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

81 Chevy w/ a 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea i hear ya and thanks! Seems like a controlled slip and 1 to 1 would work but to much money for me. Looks like a poor boy jumped right in the middle of a rich mans porject! Im hanging in there..
Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by stock600
Yea i hear ya and thanks! Seems like a controlled slip and 1 to 1 would work but to much money for me. Looks like a poor boy jumped right in the middle of a rich mans porject! Im hanging in there..
I think in a light truck with low R range, you could probably get away with two gears on the Lenco. You can pic them up used some times for a decent price.....just keep your eyes open for the future. If you want to go more conventional I can send you to a guy that will sell you a good clutch setup that will last. I run a 2 disc iron clutch setup in my puller that is rated for 2000 HP. You can get 15-20 runs between adjustments and can get around 5 adjustments out of a clutch set....clutches are $275/pair to replace. Initial investment is around $1700 plus flywheel machining.
Old 04-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Give JW Performance down in Rockledge Fla. a call.

He has forgot more about trannies than many of the elite trans companies will ever know.

He hit my converter within 200 RPM the first shot, and they used to offer a 1 time free restall on the high end converters for free.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by patdaly
Give JW Performance down in Rockledge Fla. a call.

He has forgot more about trannies than many of the elite trans companies will ever know.

He hit my converter within 200 RPM the first shot, and they used to offer a 1 time free restall on the high end converters for free.
Yes, good source. Their flywheels are top of the line as well.

Art Carr actually did the same on my converter when I had them do it. They also used to offer unconditional rebuild at any time for $100.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:08 PM

Hey Stock600, tried to PM but gave me errors, anyway Im in Wills Point and wanted to ask if I could use your timing tools. Thanks man, sorry for the off-topic post.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:37 AM

Sure, i'll help ya out. PM sent.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:57 PM

Finally, got the call today from the tranny guys, convertors here come get it. It's supose to be a double throw down, mac daddy convertor, we'll see tomorrow! They also went back through the glide to make triple sure they didnt miss something, and replaced the 182's for 1.76's for strength. If all go's well i should have it in by noon and know how it's going to work, if all is good im going to the local track for some shake down runs. Can't hardly wait. The people that built this convertor tore down the original one that failed and said: this sucker was in something that had a lot of power! All the fins on the stator were bent back over and other features inside had also failed. This unit is all hand tig welded, he said he was'nt sure what the stall was going to do due this being a odd build for him but he said he didnt think i could break it.. they put the lowest stall stator posable in a 11" convertor shell, and even twicked the fin angle a little more before tiging it all up. We will see. Ryan
Old 04-30-2008, 09:49 AM

Let us know ASAP. I am very interested to see what you learn.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:14 AM

Not just tickled with what ive seen. Got her back together, got against the convertor pretty hard and nothing, prob. had it up in the 3k range never spun a tire. Checked fluid levels all good, tryed again this time i brought it up to maybe 2k and wacked the throttle and it spun and jumped out of the shop like a rocket. BUT at what stall speed? Way to much thats all i know. I plan to play with it some tomorrow and decide if its worth taking to the track fri. night. The timing also slipped again while doing this test, i'm having a heck of a time with that as well? Frustrating!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:12 AM

Sorry to hear it is not as expected. A real good converter will be pretty loose right up to the stall point and then get pretty efficient. However, if you can power brake it to 3K, then the stall speed is likely closer to 4. I am not sure what to tell you.....

Did you get a new nut and lock washer when you adjusted the timing. Many will say it is required to get it to stay.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:39 AM

Hey man, ya maybe its better than i thought. I carried it up the the tranny shop for everyone to scratch and paw at it[knowone has seen it yet] and he has a great 100' or so of clean pavment..... i unloaded it and did a few 60'ers. Seems pretty loose but when you really wack the go pedal it flat jumped, it spun the entire distance but dude- it was covering some ground doing it to. Also while i had it on a trailer i carried it up and put her on the scales: 3520lbs w/o me in it and half a cell or so of fuel [6 gall. maybe] and a full bottle of juice. Better than i thought by couple hundred. New lock washer installed, cleaned the crude out of it w/ brake clean and run a torch over it to burn any residual oil or cleaner, and torq. it to all my TW had [150] then on untill the engine started to turn over. Reset this time to .234" or 21* man it sounds good at this timing. Also cummins has revise the torq. spec on the shaft nut from 144 to 169 ft lbs by the way. PLAN is to go the the track tomorrow night for some shake downs. With it Way de-tuned im just seeing how the trucks going to drive at speed and see if it will transfer. Wouldnt have a clue what to expect it to run, were going to a 1/8 mile track. I hope its safe to say somewhere between a 6.70 and a 11.50!! Ha Ha Whats you quess if the darn timing dont slip? Remember the 100 plate is at 1/2 way same with the afc and i chunked the 181's in from the full cuts to try to keep temps in check. Also i was having trouble getting the boost down it was pegging the 60# gauge like nothing before with the FC's and the C.Plate still in the middle,?, ive installed a hollow brass elboe and turned the Wg adj way down so that it starts to open at 40lbs of shop air rather than 45 it came shipped with. I think it was due to the restrictive brass fitting not letting the boost signal to the wg diaphram? Well see, i hope to see it at 40 max so i can creep up on the power later. Cross your fingers the timing dont slip and it tracks str8, whats your quess? I'll go with a 8.9xx and hope for lotsss better! ~Ryan~
Old 05-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Well i got to go fri. night as i planned and thats about as good as the news gets. Trannys back out on the floor again. Convertor about a bad as the last, it trys to lock up high but just cant do it. Made 4 passes and it was a mess, the r's would go to max right off the bat and hold there the whole way down the track, should have let out every time but was curious what it would turn slipping that bad: 8.7xx's. So, not fast but shows great potital if i ever get a decant convertor. I know the tranny guys are going to try to talk me into a th400 and 13" conv. to lower stall to where i have to have it, say in the 1800 range. But i still want to give the glide its fair chance, its the convertors prob. not the tranny. And changing will back me have to change so many other things i dont want to re buy!! I did get a few pictures as i said i would do, i will get help later this evening and try to get them posted for those that would care to see this mess. It drove great and was very fun and got sooooo much attention! Fuel pressure was way low, egt's way high, fire out the stack more than 2/3 of the track? More to come. I'll check back this evening. Later guys and thanks! ~Ryan~
Old 05-04-2008, 05:35 PM

Sounds like alot of my projects unfortunately. It just takes a while to figure things out. Sounds to me like the 13" might be the way to go. A TH400 will hold nice and you should be able to sell the glide with super bell for good money. I sold a TH475 that would have been good for you. They have straight cut gears and are suppose to be a little stronger because of that. They are not too high to buy used. Then you can use the 13" core. I really figured an 11 would work, but apparently not....cooking two that fast is not a good sign.

May be a Lenco and multidisc setup in your future
Old 05-04-2008, 10:46 PM

We will see, Jay says the 400's out of like old concrete trucks have str8 cut planets as well. If thats what it takes then so be it, but i want to try at least one more 11" convertor. Im thinking and hoping that the engine not being able to load could be causing some of the high egt issues but it could also be the oppisite? W/O water= forget it. With all the water 100% and even a shot of juice with only a .32 orfice netted a rather quick 1800* and made me lift, and remeber the full cuts are switched out with 181's for now and fuel plate right in the center. Even the brand new fuel pump still only idles at like 12lbs and maybe 25 at 2500+? I have a new holley blue to go on in front of the stocker for the added pressure, but still would like to know why its low to begin with? It smoked hard for maybe 60' then the smoke pretty much cleared and the fire started, about 3-4" out of the stack the entire pass? Would this be a sign of it running out of fuel? It never missed or spitted, it sounded smooth the whole way. I'll get back at it, i hope i can get it fiqured out soon and get some more testing done. Later
Old 05-05-2008, 01:04 PM

Well i managed to get 2 not so great pictures into my gallery, anyway the one with it on the trailer shows both of my trucks. The new thought of the day was will a 13" convertor fit in a stock glide bell housing? Jay was out of the shop but was going to check it soon as he arrived back. If it does we will swap every thing over into it and buy a big bad convertor from art carr from a Ally thats rated for diesel torq. Im just concerned about the BH breaking, ive broke 3 in years past on TH350's. And i know i should have a blanket around it in case, maybe a shield too??? Not sure, i know i dont want any of that convertor or planets in my lap! Any thoughts on this new idea?? Ryan

Quick Reply: 81 Chevy w/ a 12 valve