Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

81 Chevy w/ a 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would most definatly be scared of breaking the bell housing...but you could give it a try. I would also go with a flywheel shield and blanket if you are not using an SFI flywheel. Problem is if the tranny goes it could be at speed and throw parts everywhere. I would also make sure you have a front drive shaft loop so it can not catapolt your truck in the air if it drops.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:38 PM

10-4 i hear ya, the FW is sfi. Its the destroked billet part that works with the engine adaptor. Still have not heard back but i think the convertor will fit in the stock BH. If so this should work asuming the BH does not fail? Thanks P.S.
Pictures are not great i know, we forgot and it got dark on us, i'll get some better ones next trip- wich i hope is real soon...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:41 PM

I think you lost some sheet metal on the way to the track . As you can tell by my sig, I like the old 80's trucks. BTW, that looks exactly like my trailer. Is it from the place in Chaulk Mountain?
Old 05-05-2008, 11:22 PM

Ya,Ya, i know... i fiqured id wait tell i got it all tuned out before i throw all that unneeded weight back on it. I'll take that one day at a time, we all know what that means! Heck it's still 3740# and its gutted to the max, minus i did spray a liner in it for looks, those big tubbs begged for it ya know. I bought the trailer new but from an auction so not sure where it orig. came from. Man its been a good one though, in 5 years or so ive never even added 1# of air to a tire= but next sat. if i get to go it will of course now have 4 flats! Later Ryan
Old 05-09-2008, 12:49 PM

Well the 3 spd. is built, just waiting on the convertor from art carr in abiline tx. They ordered a custom Billet stator for this 13" convertor so they dont expect it untill mon. they said it would ship mon. also and we would have it tues. I'll have it in and know what to expect wed. and if all's good hit the track again fri. night! I added a holley blue inline to make sure thier pleanty of fuel in case it loads up and runs hard, got the ol' bottle filled as well too just in case! Added another frame stiffner and a bar on the 9" to tie the center section and the axle tubes together it also grabs the coil over mounts so everything is very ridged. Replaced the rear coils from ??? super stiff to some 175#er, hoping it will make it squat more and tranfer wieght. My 2.5" drop spindles should be here today to replace the heated springs that i did last time just to get to the track [it sat way high]. If this tranny and convertor works: all will be good! Im ready to play. Thanks Ryan
Old 05-09-2008, 02:23 PM

You dont mess around!!

I had very good dealings with the guys in Abilene. Hope you have the same experience.

Another trick to get a good transfer is to use 6cyl. springs up front(same as small block I think) so that it will have some stored energy from the compression of the heavy engine. I am too lazy to read back, but if you have a 4 link you can move the instant center out past the gravity center to help as well. Not sure much can be done if you have ladders.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:49 PM

Got ya, ya i went and picked up a new set of 6 cyl. springs today. And the drop spindles came a couple hours ago also. It feels a lots better when pushing down on the back, i went ladder bars this time just because of simplicity and i fiqured it would work. I am more used to a 4 bar or link set up though, thats what i ran on my datsun z cars. Later Ryan
Old 05-18-2008, 04:12 PM

Well all i have to say is the sucker is super fast!
The 13" convertor is super, it stalls unreal low maybe wayyy to low but it has the torq. to overcome it. Lightning hit the tower and knocked the clocks out, but i ran people that we knew what they consistantly ran to give me a good idea. Ive already in what i concider the first real trip, to have broken my long term goals for the truck. I really thought that those 8.7's and 8.8's with that terrable 11" junky conv. would show me some high 7's or low 8's with a good conv. NOPE. It's for sure already in the 6's and well over 100mph! Heck it runs as good as the 2360# datsun that im used to racing down there. I typically run 6.5's to 6.7's and the truck felt just as fast. I ran a mustang on a fogger system that we know runs 6.9's to 7 flats, he left way early on me and prob. had 2-3 cars out, i had him run down by the 330' and pass him before the traps big time. He said i went by him like he was sitting still, he runs usually 98 to 99 mph at anywhere from a 6.91 to 7.09 he said. Egt's were still high even with the 3rd 625ml nozzle i added? maybe its due to i didnt run str8 water this time, i found some washer fluid at wallmart that was rated at 0* rather than the 32* that they normally carry. I did use the spray on all 4 runs with a little .52 jet, it hit like Mike Tyson i kid you not! I had the boost at a conservitive 45 psi or so and the plate is still not full forward, little more than half id say. They were starting us like Pinks with the arm drop and 2 white rags, wich sucked but better than nothing and going home. The suspension could not work better, the ol BIG slicks get to temp quick and very easy and just squats and jumps out unreal hard. I cant wait to see the 60's on this thing, im used to 1.4xx/1.5xx's and this truck seems to leave harder for sure. And str8 as an arrow, the very light 150# springs in the rear worked super, along with the very low stance all the way around. I'll call before i go next weekend to confirm the clocks are working, if not i'll try Redline raceway out on HWY 30, but the prob. is i'll only get one run and they will kick me off the track there. Its a weel orginized track and they go by all the rules, wich is very good and some bad mostly good. But with no cage at all and a lap belt he he he im sure 1 pass is all i'll get. Isnt it a 7.49 or quicker were it requires a 8 point? Either way we had a ball and i was super impressed with the truck, and knock on wood nothing broke. Later ~Ryan~
Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 AM

I am glad to hear everything worked out for you this time. Sounds like alot of fun. You need to get some videos up on the next time out. I would love to see it run full track.

If you are dipping into the 6's you will most likely be required to do a 10pt cage. Quite honestly, I dont think it is smart to run that fast without. You want the seat and harness tied to the cage and the cage to the frame. You really want to get your hands on a rule book because there are some particulars on the cage that can cause it not to certify if done wrong. Depending on how particular, they may require you to get the cert. eventually. You will also need aftermarket axles and c-clip eliminaters, drive shaft loop, all SFI shields.....list goes on. Here is a link to an old article with the basics:

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/n...ets/index.html

I think you will probably find the weak links in the TH350 sooner or later if 60's are where you think, but since the truck is not too heavy it might live for a while.....so long as you dont go the tbrake route. Luckily TH350s are pretty cheap to build.

Have fun....

Chris
Old 05-19-2008, 02:18 PM

Chris, i did get a video from the last pass i forgot, i will post it later tonight when the wifes home with the camra. I have the 35 spline mosers, and 2 drive shaft loops, along with good belts but only using 3 of the 5 points. I will get busy on the cage now, after reading some on the rules, i just didnt fiqure it would be so fast right away. In the video you can see later im running a datsun 260z that i built and races many years ago, its a pertty nice small block on nitrous that runs 1.6xx 60'ers and low 7's in the 1/8. I think i remember he left first on me but i had him gathered up quick as you can see, I prob. had 8-10 trucks on him through the traps. Turn the volume way up and enjoy! Most of the noise is the zommie headers on that 327 chevy. Thanks Ryan
Old 05-20-2008, 11:40 PM

So sorry guys about the video, im trying. My computer is old and the hard drive is 98% full and wont allow me to even put it on the pc from the dig. camra. Wife will put it on a disk tomorrow and i'll try again. A new desk top and wireless DSL is in the works for in the next couple of weeks, were so sick of this dial up crap! Sorry
Old 05-24-2008, 02:21 PM

Broke again! Went to Ennis to the Motorplex, broke 1st pass right at the 2nd gear change. No forward gears or reverse, i suppose it got the input shaft? It was under power for no more than 100-150' and rolled though the 1/8 at 8.8xx at like 35mph. Obviously the 350 is not going to cut it so its time for this 400 from a concrete truck that ive heard talk of i suppose? Anyone ever heard of this tranny, its suppose to have stright cut planets and all the internals are super stout to work behind big trucks and equiptment? What else.... lets hear some other affordable suggestions.. please anyone good or bad. I hate to abandone such a cool and fast project but cant have this crap every weekend. Thanks Ryan
Old 05-24-2008, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by stock600
Broke again! Went to Ennis to the Motorplex, broke 1st pass right at the 2nd gear change. No forward gears or reverse, i suppose it got the input shaft? It was under power for no more than 100-150' and rolled though the 1/8 at 8.8xx at like 35mph. Obviously the 350 is not going to cut it so its time for this 400 from a concrete truck that ive heard talk of i suppose? Anyone ever heard of this tranny, its suppose to have stright cut planets and all the internals are super stout to work behind big trucks and equiptment? What else.... lets hear some other affordable suggestions.. please anyone good or bad. I hate to abandone such a cool and fast project but cant have this crap every weekend. Thanks Ryan
Yeah, you got something good. At least you did not bust the case and spin it into three pieces or something. I have seen that before.

It is a TH475 you are speaking of. It is a 400 with straight cut gears. I sold the one from my truck about 4 months ago for a song. Wish I still had it. You might check over at the 4btswaps forum. They sell those all the time from bread vans for cheap.

I am not a tranny guy, but I think you are going to have to buy some good hard parts for the 475. I think a billet input is fairly affordable and may be needed. The 475 is pretty strong, but not indestructable....just find a good shop.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I feel i have a great shop behind me but we just have not built the right tranny yet. I will call him Tues. morning and talk about the TH475 with him, he has also put a call in the Art Carr to see if they have any good hard parts for the th350? He thinks not but wants to find out, my gutt feeling is to abandon the 350 at this point and move to bigger better trannys, glad to hear its a 475 that im after. What did you have one in? Is the case its self much bigger, i have the tranny tucked up pretty tight to the floor pan, and about how much longer would you say it is over the 350? I know i will have to get the drive shaft shortened and thats no biggy, just curious how much. One other thing do you hapen to know the gearing in that slush box, the 2.51-1.51-1:1 seemed to feel very well spaced in the 350. Thanks Ryan
Old 05-26-2008, 10:53 PM

I had the TH475 behind my 6B when I first finished the truck. I just had to have od so I went with the 4L80. The 475 is just like a 400 in size, but they all have the HD case. The HD case has some more support around the tail housing, but I think the rest is the same...not sure on that. Mine had "HD" in the housing at the bell and my tranny guy mentioned it was the heavy duty case. Dont qoute me, but I think a short tail shaft 475 is almost the same as a long shaft TH350.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: 81 Chevy w/ a 12 valve