Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!

ok gentlement i decided to start doing my little write-up on my cummins swap...i have a 92 dodge W250 with a getrag that i'll be using as my donor truck and im swapping into an 87 chevy V30...the truck is actually an M1008 military issue chevy....but you won't be able to tell that when i'm done....the chevy has a 6.2 diesel v8 TH400 trans and a NP208 transfer....all that is gone!....i have to wait for the pics to be approved before i can post them up i'm assuming but i have some pics of both trucks to get this thread rolling!
Attached Thumbnails 1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-87-front-driver.jpg   1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-87-front-passanger.jpg   1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-87-rear.jpg   1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-87-6.2.jpg   1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-87-rad..jpg  

Old 11-26-2009, 04:44 PM

i have a few things figured out already as far as how im going to build the truck.....i'll be using both the chevy axles dana60 front and 14bolt rear with 3.73 gears that i still need to find....the chevy has 4.56 gears now....can't have that! i'm keeping the chevy hydroboost brakes and with the huge 14bolts rear drums is an awesome combo!....the wiring is going to be the toughest part for me even though i know theres nothing to wiring a 12v cummins but the grid heater will be interesting for me to figure out!....like i said earlier the chevy is tore down and ready for the motor and the dodge is currently getting ripped apart....so the project is well under way....i'll be posting more pics asap....let me know what you guys think!....heres one of my donor truck....
Attached Thumbnails 1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-smoker-smaller-1.jpg  
Old 11-26-2009, 09:20 PM

Good luck on the build.

When I did my grid heaters, I used a momentary togle switch. I hold the switch in the on position for about 15 seconds when it gets below about 20* F. When it is colder than that I cycle the switch a few times after it starts untill the truck smooths out.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:15 PM

thanks man if people show some interest i'll keep posting pics as progress continues....
Old 11-27-2009, 06:52 AM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You know I want to see it.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:27 AM

ok you got it!....ill have some more asap....
Old 11-27-2009, 07:33 AM

ok...after removed the front clip off the truck i was horrified with what i found! the first pic is beside the drivers side hood hinge, the second is the drivers side bottom corner of the windshield frame....after i tore the glass out!
Attached Thumbnails 1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-bad-find2.jpg   1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-bad-find-1.jpg  
Old 11-27-2009, 07:38 AM

so i did the right thing! i cut all the rust away and completely rebuilt all the rusty area......grounded it up and shot some primer on it.....i didnt pay much attention to makeing this look like nobody has ever touched it because its all completely hidden when the truck is together....so the cab is fixed as far as rust goes the cab corners and rocker panels are perfect..and even the passanger side windshield frame is too...
Attached Thumbnails 1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-bad-find-fixed.jpg   1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-bf-fixed-primed.jpg  
Old 11-27-2009, 07:48 AM

ok, here's a few most recent pics of the chevy.....the first one is the 6.2 diesel the TH400 trans and 208 tranfer on the floor and waiting for there new owner to come and pic them up!, the second is the chevy with the motor out and third is the chevy tore down just about as far as i'm taking it except the doors they have to be pulled soon....the last pic is something crazy i found under the hood....its got to have something to do with the glow plugs....lol this is a pic of it unbolted and flipped over it was mounted on the center of the fire wall....ill give a nickle to anyone that can tell me what that is
Attached Thumbnails 1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-6.2-ground.jpg   1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-engine-out-1.jpg   1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-truck-tore-down-1.jpg   1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!-crazy-wiring-1.jpg  
Old 11-27-2009, 08:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It looks like a set of resistors.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:12 AM

ok....just came in from the garage to post a couple questions up here....what all do i need to do away with my a/c compressor? just a different belt? or is something different on the non-a/c engines?.....secondly i noticed on the back of my intake manifold there is a hook that looks like its turned upside down....can i flip that over and use it and the hook on the passanger side front of the engine to pull it?....or is that a big no no.....third, whats the line running from the brake vaccum booster to the power steering pump? i'm going to be running hydroboost like i said earlier so hopefully i don't need to have vaccum there....thanks for the help in advance!
Old 11-27-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by jimlj
Good luck on the build.

When I did my grid heaters, I used a momentary togle switch. I hold the switch in the on position for about 15 seconds when it gets below about 20* F. When it is colder than that I cycle the switch a few times after it starts untill the truck smooths out.
how did you keep it from burning the switch up?
Old 11-27-2009, 11:49 AM

i considered doing a chevy like that. keep the pics coming!
Old 11-27-2009, 12:46 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
you can flip that hook up the other way no problem. I've pulled and put in a few like that. One was upside down but all the others I've seen are pointing up. You're talking about the D ring on the aft driverside of the engine right.

PS how tall/beefy is the frame on that bowtie truck compared to your 1992? dodge?
Old 11-27-2009, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by PapeCAT
you can flip that hook up the other way no problem. I've pulled and put in a few like that. One was upside down but all the others I've seen are pointing up. You're talking about the D ring on the aft driverside of the engine right.

PS how tall/beefy is the frame on that bowtie truck compared to your 1992? dodge?
yup....thats the one....mines upside down...the frame on the chevy is 10 inches wide under the cab...pretty think as well, this particular truck being military issue has a couple extra supports in the frame around the front of the cab....its a pretty beefy frame....

Quick Reply: 1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!