Cummins Conversions Discuss conversions here. For instance, if you want to put a REAL engine in a FORD, this is where you would talk about it!

1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Twisted Inc.
how did you keep it from burning the switch up?
You use the switch to bring the Solenoids in, not run the power directly through the switch.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pat nailed it on the switch. I think my switch is rated for 10 amps, just a iddy biddy too small to run the grid heaters without the solenoid (or relay to this electrician).

On my '89 engine, I removed the AC compressor, and had to take a grinder with a cut off wheel and cut part of the bracket (what appeared to be part of a cast iorn cover) so it would clear the frame. Get a belt for a non AC Cummins and follow the routing for a non AC engine. I could not figure the routing, I had the belt going every way but right. I finally went back to Napa and they copied a page from their parts book that showed the proper belt routing for me.
Old 11-27-2009, 08:47 PM

i'll have to get you guys to walk me through wiring up the grid heater, either you guys or wanna, he said it would be a walk in the park in the tech support chat.........under the hood on my dodge it has both belt routing configurations but i couldnt tell just by the drawings if everything was turning the same direction if that makes any sense to you....i'm going to try to get alot done on the project tomorrow and sunday....deer season starts next week in ohio and i prob. won't touch the trucks at all....but after that i'll be after it again....i'll still be on here looking for tips and tricks though...lol thanks for all the help guys keep em coming
Old 12-07-2009, 06:46 PM

small update fella's, hunting season is over so today i jumped back into the project head first, the 205 and my extremely greasy getrag are on the ground! the hood is off and most of the dodads are unhooked from the cummins plan on yanking it tomorrow!....wish me luck that none of my lifting riggings break!.....hopefully it'll be out and tomorrow ill throw up some pics or at least another update.....
Old 12-08-2009, 07:43 AM

A bit of advice I learned the hard way......
Spend a few extra dollars and the time it takes and put new seals in your transmission and engine while it is out. I thought my transmission was leak free, but found it leaked from the front seal after it went in. I now get the pleasure of pulling it back out and putting a new seal in.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jimlj
A bit of advice I learned the hard way......
Spend a few extra dollars and the time it takes and put new seals in your transmission and engine while it is out. I thought my transmission was leak free, but found it leaked from the front seal after it went in. I now get the pleasure of pulling it back out and putting a new seal in.
Great Advice X2
Old 12-08-2009, 09:53 AM

way ahead you boys....but definitly thanks for the advice! the rag was going to come out this winter and go to the transmission shop to have a go through and resealed even before i planned to do the swap.....so i'm going to use it for mock up in the chevy then tear it back out and send it to a transmission shop to get fixed up....
Old 12-08-2009, 06:18 PM

ok, the cummins is out of the truck and a tossed the dodge back together and now its ready for a new home....i'll post up some pics shortly
Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 AM

You mentioned hunting season was over.... Well....??
Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 AM

Terrible disappiontment! first time in a long time i havnt been able to get some meat in the freezer but the 3 guys i hunt with all got one so they donated some....man i took a lot of verbal abuse!... still got two more days of shotgun coming up the 18 & 19th so hopefully!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM

here's some pics from yesterdays tear down! a couple shots of the cummins on the ground, a big mess of greasy parts that i'll be spending hours cleaning! and a shot of my completely fried clutch! my pilot bearing was also completely shot....could this be causing my transmission to make a rattling noise in 4th gear under heavy load?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:55 AM

awsome build. keep it up!
Old 12-13-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by wicked_sten
awsome build. keep it up!
thanks man, the getrag is at the transmission shop getting fixed up, i'm in the process of tearing most of the parts off the motor and preping it for paint, this is going to take longer than normal because its so cold here i have to find a way to remove the grease and oil without using a pressure washer! any ideas anyone?.....i'm going to kill my kdp today and order a new oil pan gasket and rear main seal as well....
Old 12-14-2009, 01:08 AM

i didnt have a way to get the engine back outside to pressure wash it since my engine hoist doesnt roll worth a crap on concrete much less my gravel driveway, so i cleaned the cummins and getrag in the shop with a putty knife and a wire brush. after getting most of the crap scraped off, a windex bottle of purple power and a light rinse left it pretty clean. i also went to town with the air blower for quite a while and blew most of the old paint right off.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 AM

lol what paint? i really think they forgot to paint everything on my motor except for the aluminum pieces! thanks for the tips!

Quick Reply: 1987 chevy 1ton cummins powered!