Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

one bad duramax

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I bought my cummins, it was because I thought the Dodge truck body looked better. Hmmm..
Old 10-11-2005, 10:54 PM

ok lets settle this. Take a third gen cummins, and the lly duramax. which is stronger in the hp race? I mean common guys. Im very proud of my truck. Its stock and all. back in the 90s we had the top dog. But everytime someone kicks our but we come back wiht ( lets see what happens in 500k) or lets strap on 15k and see whos stronger.

I really dont know whats better as far as max hp is going on in the new engines. From what im aware of the cummins is the only truck that has 1 box that puts on over 500 ft lbs. but like it was said the dmax is doing all this without new rings or oringing the head or firerings or major head work, and it is an aluminum head and all that good stuff
Old 10-11-2005, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by CIN'S DODGE
How many Duramax's do you see competing with Scheids,Haisleys,Terry Martin,in sled pulling or Darren Morrison in drag racing?Their are not enough drugs in Columbia to make a Duramax competative with these boys!Now I rest MY case!
Ever see the NoLimit truck? He ran the quickest ET at Indy with everyone watching (even Darren). Kyle Michaels won at the Charity pull... I'd say that's fairly competitive.

Bench racing makes everyone look like a blathering fools. If you can build a better truck, do so. Otherwise, claiming brand X is better is worthless!

brandon.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:59 AM

Just for your knowledge, last saturday Darren ran a 10.30 at 129 in the quarter mile. He'll be in Richmond the end of this month to do it again, or faster. He did this with 808 dyno HP.

And did you see NoLimit at Commerce? That duro max had so much HP he blew a hole in the side of the block. It does hold a lot of oil, too. Still a quick truck.

..Preston..
Old 10-12-2005, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by joefarmer
Kyle Michaels won at the Charity pull... I'd say that's fairly competitive.

brandon.
Were you there Brandon??

Kyle had a really great pull, but after watching Curt Haisley pull three times trying to get a good bite on the (slightly wet ) track, you could tell Curt was really overpowering his tires. All three times he smoked them ALL the way down the track.

But I know, it all has to add up when your pulling. There were other Dodge's no where near Haisleys power, and they did better than him. Kyle was on that fine line between power and traction I think, which worked out REALLY well!

BTW, Don't take this as me trying to come up with a way to defend the Cummins, I'm not. The Duramax is a strong running motor, but I think we've all already seen that the cummins is stronger!

Something just hit me as I typed this...the Duramax can hold the heads on it a lot "easier" than the Cummins. The two 4 cylinder heads probably have A LOT more to do with that than it being stronger! They are shorter, have less pressure on each one as a whole, probably have more bolts on each one, too.

Again, just my $.015
Chris
Old 10-12-2005, 09:01 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Good point Chris..

Ever see the bolt pattern on the head on the DMax? Alot of studs over a smaller hole makes holding pressure alot easier. And who knows what that multilaminate gasket does under pressure. I am sure it helps take up the slack. Good design there I must admit.

I remember reading up on the same problem with the 7.3's. They could hold the pressure up top, they just blew parts out the bottom. And they (GM) poke fun at the guys dressing up the bottom end on the CTD for 800hp??? Ya whatever.. Maybe they should start thinking about that as well before sticking their head out of their shell..

All the drag cars in the world use V-8's... The trucks that HAUL them to the track use I-6... Hmmmm.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Banned

Ever see the NoLimit truck? He ran the quickest ET at Indy with everyone watching (even Darren). Kyle Michaels won at the Charity pull... I'd say that's fairly competitive.

Bench racing makes everyone look like a blathering fools. If you can build a better truck, do so. Otherwise, claiming brand X is better is worthless!

brandon.
That run was actually about 4 tenths and some change SLOWER than Darren ran in qualifying that day 11.04 to 10.61. So no, that is not really competitive. And before everyone starts yapping about Darren breaking 2 times this year, We have seen TS break, Jeff Garmon Break, and No Limit break this year too...

ON EDIT:

Dont forget the fella in the maroon truck that grenaded his motor qualifying at Indy too.... I about hit the deck when that thing let go
Old 10-12-2005, 12:08 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

brandon.
Hey Mr.Joefarmer, Where do you get that you have A 98.4? do you mean a 98 or a 98.5?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:10 PM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

you know all I have ever heard of is 98 12v or 98 24v.lol
Old 10-12-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by turbo thom
Just for you knowledge, last saturday Darren ran a 10.30 at 129 in the quarter mile. He'll be in Richmond the end of this month to do it again, or faster. He did this with 808 dyno HP.

And did you see NoLimit at Commerce? That duro max had so much HP he blew a hole in the side of the block. It does hold a lot of oil, too. Still a quick truck.

..Preston..
i give darren props he works hard for what he gets,but as a dmax prostreeter,i can tell you we are working hard to,unfortunately every step we have tried hasnt payed off dividends yet,as i am sure all big hp guns have found out.there are a few mixed reports on this,did darren run just water or was it the 25 percent water meth,if ran the meth i think he will have to add weight to his truck at virginia,pure water no extra weight...do you know did he run straight water or water meth.and yup nolimits did grenade the block at commerce,but darrens was on the trailer before them,but as long as folks push hp things will break.i hope dodge keeps improving it will just make it that much sweeter to catch
Old 10-12-2005, 12:54 PM

i will never own a 1000hp diesel truck. and i dont care who claimed to be there 1st because it has nothing to do with my 160hp 1st gen (but the 160hp 1st gen has something to do with the 1000hp truck). seems others brag about the fact the only thing they share with these big HP trucks is an emblem. i am impressed with seeing a 7000lb truck running 1/4 miles that were, not too long ago, dismissed as impossible and watching a truck tow 40,000lbs down a track. the brute force is awesome. but i dont take credit for it in any way just for the sake i have a cummins badge on my truck.

world's strongest person is a male, i don't walk around town saying im the strongest.

what does come out of this is good competition to make the aftermarket products more powerful, stronger, smarter, and cheaper.

another thought: if cummins o-ringed the head from the factory, we wouldnt need to. not saying others brands do, its just the sake a motor is only as good as how well the manufacturer designs it.

please dont take this as a flame...

just having a bad day at work.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:05 PM

Darren's truck was on the trailer after friday night. He tried something new on the latest rebuild and it built so much boost, he bent rods and push rods. It's fixed now and runnin like a hot tail dog.

..On the 808 HP run he was set at 25% meth. On David's dyno he's having a little trouble getting the rear to hook. On the strip he's in 4X4, but the dyno is 2 wheel drive. If you go to smokeumup .com you will see by his time and weight he's at 818 HP,and by the time he gets to Richmond, he should have about 30 more HP, so may run better than 10.30. And yes, Dodge will keep gettin better, as long as somebody like Darren keeps puttin his money in it. Folks have no idea how much he has in that truck now. But one thing to remember, Jeff started this mess about 6 years ago with a hwy dept truck from Fla. The frame under his race truck is the same one he started with, the truck from Fla. I think you'll see him run a lot faster in Richmond than what you've seen up till now.

This sport is just going to grow and more sponsers are going to come in. And King you'll find most thing you do won't work. Very frustrating to remove the same bolt 60 times in a week.

..Preston..
Old 10-12-2005, 01:20 PM
Banned

I sure am glad to see you here Kingd!
As far as I know, You can run all the Meth and or Propane you want without a weight penalty less something has changed........

But I could be wrong, I have been known to hang out with you and Preston
Old 10-12-2005, 02:03 PM

What was the correction factor?

Has a dyno graph been posted? I'd be interested in seeing the curve.

Power is power, regardless of whether you add oxygen with a bigger turbo, a second turbo, or straight from a bottle, and whether your fuel is augmented by propane or meth.

IBDMAX'N, congrats on the big numbers.

Chris
Old 10-12-2005, 02:13 PM
Banned

Video of the 835hp Dyno Run

Quick Reply: one bad duramax