Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

one bad duramax

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep it up Michael. I hope you get it all working. It's good for the sport and competition will keep everybody getting better. Nobody needs to dominate.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Hey Preston,
Who all is coming to Virginia Motorsports Park this weekend? I should have been paying attention so I could have got the word out to the VADTR members and more of the locals. Maybe I can still round up a few folks and I will definitely be there.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:13 AM

I know me and a few friends from NC are coming up! I drive a black chevy dually cc/lb with 5" stacks come say hi if you see me!
Old 10-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Banned

Edited by Admin
Old 10-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Don't let your annoyance with one person get you banned from this great site ....it is great site that nobody with a CTD should have to miss out on.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:16 PM

Man this has been entertaining...

As far as the Dmax goes, it is a great platform and is making great power. It seem that 800 or so is about where the internals are having issues. I'm sure there will be many more parts available for them than the Cummins, just given the fact that more are sold which means more market, which means more companies will want a piece of it. I look for the Dmax to be at the top of the modified world when you get away from stock rotating assy. and stand-alone computers with HP pumps.

Preston, are you yanking these guys chains. You know Darren hasn't gone faster than 14.32 @ 103. Ok, it was a 10.40 @ 129. He's saving the 30 for this weekend in Virginia. (which sadly I will not be able to make)

I don't care how power is made. Nobody is less impressed when they are looking at a 700+hp dyno graph when made with N2O.

I don't buy into the development time comments though. P-Pumped Cummins have been making power for years, way before you could "buy" things for them. It takes someone willing to make it work, rather than have a bolt-on solution.

I don't know who will be going to Virginia this weekend, but those that go should be treated to some record setting runs in Pro Street.

Lastly - so far I have seen more power out of a Dmax on fuel only over the Common Rail Cummins. A couple of reasons, mostly though is the Dmax is bigger and drives a larger charger in stock configuration. Add a larger charger to the Dodge and it bellies right up next to the Dmax. As far as N2O runs, again the Dmax has taken the numbers but just like many big Cummins trucks are fuel only, I haven't seen anyone really lay a bunch of N2O to a CR Cummins like I have seen with the Dmax. Stock internals, fuel only with aftermarket turbo's, injectors and stuff I think goes to the CR Cummins at this point. And the multi-layer headgasket (similar to the Dmax) is holding a reported 65 psi boost on the cummins without o-rings. I have never seen that much boost from a Dmax. Dennis Perry is making impressive HP with stock internals on his 24v with a bottle.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:23 PM

Exellent Post from a VERY reputable source!!

Thanks for some cool info, David!
Chris
Old 10-13-2005, 12:38 PM

Naugh David. 10.40 something or other is like Jeff's HP numbers. It's close enough to call it a .30. You know 699.2 HP is 700.

As for Richmond, it looks like Jeff, Darren, Earl, and I guess, Matt. And I agree, there will be some record times this weekend. You have 3 from down here that are going to win, not just to race, but to win.

Like David, my tail stays here. Don't wanta, but gotta. And I gotta miss it.

And Duke, we were not on the subject mathematics. The topic was diesel engines and power. We all know 2+7= 3+3-5 +8 = 9. So let's talk diesels. Wrong forum for degrees, unless we on the topic of timing.

..Preston..
Old 10-13-2005, 02:13 PM
Banned

Edited by Admin
Old 10-13-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned

Edited by Admin
Old 10-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I am upset with some of the replies I see in this thread. This is the very reason we held off for so long in having a competition forum on DTR, attitudes, anger, name calling, head butting, and bragging rights and all go hand in hand with the competition.

Often it is nothing more than a couple of friends ragging on each other in jest, but it doesn't always get taken that way. I don't want to see this forum go away, but if you guys can't find a way to communicate here without insults, then lets just all say good bye now.

This forum is on a trial basis only for now, whether we choose to keep it here is up to you guys, you are in control. You decide by your actions.

I removed some posts here, trying to diffuse the situation, lets leave it at that.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by DavidTD
I'm sure there will be many more parts available for them than the Cummins, just given the fact that more are sold which means more market
more than all dodge cummins' or just third gens?

i've always wondered ...
what are the production numbers for 'strokes, 'maxes and dodge cummins'
Old 10-13-2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by DavidTD
the CR Cummins at this point. And the multi-layer headgasket (similar to the Dmax) is holding a reported 65 psi boost on the cummins without o-rings. I have never seen that much boost from a Dmax.
Kyle Micheals from Crank it up Diesel is pushing well over 80 psi on his twin turbo Duramax. Look for big things from his truck (As well as Mtomac`s) next season.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know Mr. Got Juice? is around the 50psi mark without too much effort with Twins.

After talking to GJ, there is alot of untapped potential with the fuel system on the Dmax, more so than the 3G ISBE. I can't get into specifics. . The science of diesel is now becoming an electronics battle as much as hard parts.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by 2broke2smoke
more than all dodge cummins' or just third gens?

i've always wondered ...
what are the production numbers for 'strokes, 'maxes and dodge cummins'
I don't know the break down, but GM has sold 650,000+ duramax equiped pickup trucks in the first 5 production years. It took Dodge something like 15 years to sale 1,000,000 Cummins equiped pickup trucks. And Ford is over 2,000,000 powerstrokes. (In I don't know how many years!) GM has been upping production every year starting with 100,000 the first year, (2001 model year!) and I believe they will be up to 165,000-180,000 for model year 2006. (But now some will be going in vans, Hummers, and the medium duty truck line. (Which Ford counts those as well.) So I don't know what the number would be for 3/4 ton and 1 ton pickups only.
I am sure Dodge sales 3 times as many Cummins trucks as they did in the first years.

Quick Reply: one bad duramax