Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

Help with sled pulling

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help with sled pulling

I've done 2 pulls in the last week, and both turned out really really bad, I have video's to prove it! I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong if anything, and what kind of tires I need, because I think thats the problem.

1st vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Mf9HAjlkQ
Mines the first truck. This was 2nd/lo no lock up switch, truck weighed about 6850 and didn't have any rear suspension blocks. Front tires were at 35psi rears were at 40.

2nd vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2rm_sRCPrQ
This was with 2" suspension travel, had 640lbs of extra weight under the back seat and used the lock up switch, you can hear me shift into 3rd and still got back up over 3k rpm. Front tires were at 30psi rears were 50psi, left them alone.

Tires are 285/70/17 bfg at's, all psi is done warm basically. So what's the problem? I lost the first pull by about 80 feet, I think I got 137, winner was 207, 2nd pull I got like 150+' winner was out the gate. As far as I know my truck has similar power to the other ones, but sled pulling just isn't working! Any help is welcomed.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:46 PM

anyone?

The other tires I have are 33x14.5x16.5 swamper ssr's, 3 of the tires have about 50% tread and one has about 30%. Would they grab to hard? I know I'd increase the risk of breaking something, like an axle. But I need more traction.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stick with your at's but drop your fronts to about 25 psi. if you aren't or can't block your rear bring your rear psi up about 10lbs. you want to have a wider foot print if possible cuz i see your still on stock wheels which is a disadvantage.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:40 AM

We are allowed 2" suspension travel, so I had blocks bolted on top of the factory bump stops, we are allowed airbags, so i think I might go that route eventually. Next time I think I'll run about 15psi up front, see if it hooks anymore, thanks.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:02 AM

Radial tires don't like to be aired down allot, they tend to cup under the tire. I can't see the vid, dialup.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM

way more tire
Old 07-23-2009, 11:47 PM

i would suggest a/t's if you were pulling a normal sled on clay, but i would throw your super swampers on. That sled is way too heavy your never going to be able to pick up speed. i would put alot lower gears in and get some lockers front and rear. don't worry about air bags just keep your bump stops in and traction bars if you don't have them already. air the front tire down to 20-25psi and max out the rears.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:36 AM
Banned

Hmmm...I'm not an experienced puller, but it looks to me like you need to leave the line quicker. It appears from the videos that your track speed never really gets up to where it should.

Are you doing a boosted launch?

--Eric
Old 07-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by enafzige
Hmmm...I'm not an experienced puller, but it looks to me like you need to leave the line quicker. It appears from the videos that your track speed never really gets up to where it should.

Are you doing a boosted launch?

--Eric
the sleds way too heavy, it looks like no body could get any speed going
Old 08-01-2009, 01:50 PM

i had some of the same problems with my truck and track bars helped tons and hanging wight out frount made it pull like a new truck try that and stick with the tires you got for now
Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 AM

Well the one video looks like the sled operator didnt have a clue at what he was doing, just was to heavy. If you would of had your 33/14.5 on here you would of broke something

The second video, HORRIBLE track looked real loose If you would of had your 33/14.5 on here you would of had alot better chance

But for your next pull tak the front driver side tire down to 18 and take the passenger side front tire down to 23, and have the rear tires set at 50

How are most the tracks arount that part of the country? If there loose i would try the SSr's But keep 30 pis in the front and 55 in the back
Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Brokenarrow
Well the one video looks like the sled operator didnt have a clue at what he was doing, just was to heavy.
they dont! i go to alot of pulls around here(central california) and its the same. these sled operators do not have a clue as to what there doing. god forbid you try and explain to them that they need to allow the diesel trucks get out of the hole before they lay everything on them. i guess this is one of the main reasons i dont pull. the trucks seem to stress way too much just to get going. i cant afford to repair my truck after every pull.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:37 AM

The reason the sled was set so tight was becasue there was another sled coming in the opposite direction in the 1st video. Gustine was one of the tighter set sleds this year but it was only due to the fact that there was another sled at the end and they did not want to have them running into each other. With as much track variability that we have around here they do a pretty good Job. They let them go pretty far at Casa de Fruta and Hilmar and those are both VTPA pulls. I'd have to say after attending Casa de Fruta, Hilmar, Ceres, Merced, Turlock, Sonora, and Gustine they do a pretty good Job in letting the diesel trucks run out. Gustine was the only place I saw that was that tight.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by oaborbag
We are allowed 2" suspension travel, so I had blocks bolted on top of the factory bump stops, we are allowed airbags, so i think I might go that route eventually. Next time I think I'll run about 15psi up front, see if it hooks anymore, thanks.
Go with some used up Boggers. Around here thats the tire of choice and has been for years on the gas trucks. Just look at the Dmax that won the extreme class. They also work just fine at tracks like turlock and ceres which are real sandy. This year a dmax won the cheaters class at turlock with a set of boggers.