Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

First day on the Dmax ends with a 10.60 @ 129mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First day on the Dmax ends with a 10.60 @ 129mph

Some people on here were interested in the Duramax we were building so I thought I'd let you know the results of the first day. I know it's not a Dodge but it's still a diesel.

Race 1:
We went to Woodburn, OR for a test and tune first. We started the truck and it was running a little rough so Rob gave it a little fuel and blew the oil filter seal dumping 1 1/2 gallons of oil on the trailer and the ground. After about an hour to get more oil we got the truck off the trailer and finished up some wiring we didn't have time to do before we left at 11pm the night before. About noon we got to make our first run. It was a 13.1 @ 89mph. The slip said a 7.3 1/8 mile time but it was cutting out on the top end. We played with the tuning and ran it again. This time was a 12.0 @ 89mph. It was still doing the same thing. We realized the speed limiter wasn't shut off. The next pass was a 11.1 @ 116mph. We ran two more 11.1's before the track closed.

We did some brainstorming on the tuning over dinner and then off to Portland.

Race 2:
We went to Portland Int. Raceway for the NHRDA season opener. The first run out of the gate was a 10.63 @ 129mph. Followed by a 10.60, 10.70, and 10.78. The traction was falling off the colder it got. The 10.60 @ 129mph is a new Super Street record. We also won the Super Street class as well as the Pro Street class.

The motor had about 15 miles on it before the race and wasn't fired up until Wed. night last week. I put the set of twins off of my street truck on it in order to get it to the track. When I get the big turbo back from it's compressor upgrade we can turn it up and see what it can really do. The motor has ported and polished heads, billet rods, head and main studs, Mahle forged pistons, TTS cam, keyed crank, So Cal dampner, billet hold downs, F1 injectors, My twins, and Efi Live tuning by IdahoRob. Race weight is just over 6000lbs.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:31 AM

Congrats, those are some really good runs.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 AM

the truck in my sig runs a 10.6.... the sad thing is thats a 1/8th mile time! those are some really good times!! CONGRATS!!
Old 03-23-2009, 01:19 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, impressive numbers guys.. Thats more what was expected from the DM after all the hub-bub on the 1000hp truck that never could leave the shop..

This years racing should be interesting!
Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Wow, impressive numbers guys.. Thats more what was expected from the DM after all the hub-bub on the 1000hp truck that never could leave the shop..

Who's truck was that? This truck doesn't make 1000hp yet but it was only put together in the last 2 weeks even though it has been in the works for 2 years.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:57 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by Idaho CTD
Who's truck was that? This truck doesn't make 1000hp yet but it was only put together in the last 2 weeks even though it has been in the works for 2 years.
I think it was last year that a truck was making 1000 hp on fuel only.. But always had issues with injector retainers or other issues and reliability wasn't so great.. Last I heard this unit (I think in Medicine Hat, Alberta???) was supposed to be totally rebuilt (again) and on the street this summer. The name escapes me at the moment.. NastyGirl? My buddy is a frequent on the Dieselplace and has kept me updated over coffee...

Great times again BTW.. Thats is good work..
Old 03-24-2009, 02:39 AM

I actually built most of Nasty Girl on the first go around. The motor blew up shortly after it was put together (I didn't build it. Merchant Automotive did). The next motor did do over 1000hp with my twins/dual cp3's/etc. but I believe it blew up too (The owner and I had a falling out so I haven't kept up on all the details). I believe Curtis Halverson built the latest motor and it has lived for awhile. The Allisons are another issue. We are using a Suncoast "Duraflite" (a 47re with a stand alone controller). So despite the Duramax motor we still run a Dodge tranny .
Old 03-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Chapter President

After reading up on the Allison, I now know why its not a drag tranny. I can't remember if it was here or on another site, but a tech went through the shift sequence with the Allison and for all the parts to line up every shift, the clutch-gear change-clutch sequence can only go so fast and when you are dragging, you don't want to de-fuel between shifts. Having a clutch band type transmission like the old 47RE is like having the clutch system on a top fuel dragster.. Keep the engine up to peak power and then let the slippage of the transmission get the gears changed.. Makes total sense to me.. Good luck with the racing year!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was fun watching you and Rob run at Woodburn. That truck has a lot of potential!

Good job guys!

Paul
Old 03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice stuff Nathan Congrats on the awesome numbers and what will surely be a GREAT year for you guys
Old 03-28-2009, 07:29 PM

I was at PIR for the race last weekend, that D-max is awesome!
Old 03-28-2009, 09:54 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
After reading up on the Allison, I now know why its not a drag tranny. I can't remember if it was here or on another site, but a tech went through the shift sequence with the Allison and for all the parts to line up every shift, the clutch-gear change-clutch sequence can only go so fast and when you are dragging, you don't want to de-fuel between shifts. Having a clutch band type transmission like the old 47RE is like having the clutch system on a top fuel dragster.. Keep the engine up to peak power and then let the slippage of the transmission get the gears changed.. Makes total sense to me.. Good luck with the racing year!
That was a post from member Duratothemax. He seems to be a Allison guru. Pretty smart guy if you ask me
Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Chapter President

Nathan, Are you planning to bring the truck to any of the outlaw events (TS or Buck and Jess's event) coming up? I saw the videos, very nice, that truck hauls the mail. Can't wait to see what happens down the road with future updates.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:17 AM

Yes we are going to TS. Hopefully the big guns will be on it by then and we'll either break or be going freakishly fast . The truck only has a 80mm charger on it for a primary right now. If I get my 88mm turbo back this week we'll be testing with it this weekend. By TS I should have the 98mm primary I had planned for the truck in it. If I can get it done all the fuel we should ever need should be there too. Then it's just a matter of getting it to stick to the track.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
That was a post from member Duratothemax. He seems to be a Allison guru. Pretty smart guy if you ask me
Yup.. I learned alot from those posts.

More air, more fuel, more traction... Off to a good start!!!!

Quick Reply: First day on the Dmax ends with a 10.60 @ 129mph