Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

clutch q's

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch q's

Been looking into clutches the past few weeks. Don't need one yet but am getting prepared for when the time comes. Talked to South Bend and they recommended one of teir dual disks since I hook to the sled every once in awhile. I was wondering if any of you guys are running one on a street driven truck. I'll be driving mine in heavy traffic most afternoons.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:29 AM

while I don't run a dual disk clutch I have read lots about them being a little harder to shift faster, but its all what you want. I will tell you to get a larger holding clutch than you think becasue once the power starts coming its hard to stop buying it, my clutch is know past its limit and will slip once in a while
Old 07-31-2005, 09:38 AM

Shift fast??? What's that, I don't think those too words were in the getrag designer's vocabulary. The clutch I talked to SB about was good for 650 hp and I doubt I'm even close too half of that right now.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:14 PM

forget the myth that dual disk clutches are not good on the street. I have run a EEP and now the Iron Giant from Southbend and have had no issues at all with either on the street, towing at 38000 lbs or plowing snow. If you got the money get one and never look back
Old 07-31-2005, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by FrdRdnk
Shift fast??? What's that, I don't think those too words were in the getrag designer's vocabulary. The clutch I talked to SB about was good for 650 hp and I doubt I'm even close too half of that right now.
Not sure about the input shaft on the Getrag.. if its the same as t he NV4500.. but at least the clutch will work when the Getrag craps out on you... then its time for a NV4500 conversion.. NeedMoPower and I are converting his now.. going with a FE clutch.. (I couldn't talk him into the DD clutch.. )
Bryan

(I have driven Haisley's DD clutch... I thought it shifted better then stock... just my .02cents.. )
Old 08-01-2005, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the input, I can pay for the clutch but not afford it so for the time being the 4500 is out of my reach but if the funds were there, I'd do it now. I'm glad to hear that DD are streetable, I want to be able to be somewhat competive locally but still be able to drive it home. After the clutch, I want to get some new front leafs and either new for the back to get rid of the blocks or ladder bars. Hopefully that'll keep me away from axlewrap.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:27 PM

I also have enterprise engine dualdisk pulling clutch and I daily drive no problem,tow the horses,get grocerys,pull the sled,,
Old 08-04-2005, 01:23 AM

dd's are streetable but i can't stand driving mine through town. you have to finess the cluth pedal to get a good start or build rpm and ease off of it . if not it jumps and jerks. dd's also squeal alot i've had mine for about 6months now and still have not gotten use to it. i would put one in another truck in a second this thing don't slip no matter what i do to it.