Competition / Pulls / OffRoad You wanted it, well you got it. The competition and pulling forum. Please have your racing, pulling and other competition posts here. No East Coast vs. West Coast, and no flame wars!

1000+hp d-max

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gman07
Crazy... 1000hp with little smoke and almost 2000 lb. ft. torque...

Why do the turbo's sound the way they do? You can hear them spool up, then the noise goes away, and you hear them spool down after the run...?

Also, anyone know what turbos the truck was running?
It was a load cell dynojet, that's why the turbos sound that way. I'd guess that it's uncorrected numbers since the corrected numbers for Indiana yesterday would have been negative with the frigid cold.

brnaodn.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
When you get to those power levels, the "ratio's" seem to even out...but for most of us, the Cummins usually ALWAYS makes more torque per HP....at least here in Central Ohio! My old 95 at 400hp was putting down more torque than some Duramaxs with 525-550.

At least that's what I see! Don't take this as a bash, or a "Dodge is better" post, that's not how I mean it! 1000hp is 1000hp, I don't care who makes it, I'll congratulate them! I've said it all along that the Duramax has impressed me...but I still like my old 12v's

Chris
Getting the torque up to more than twice the HP on a Dmax is tricky. I have a bunch of tunes that all dyno with in 20hp of each other. But torque is all over. I am talking a range of 250ft/lbs. To much or to little fuel or timing before 2000rpm really effects torque without effecting the horsepower so much. I took me a lot of dyno time and mostly dumb luck to get my torque up where I wanted it. The trouble is the turbo. Getting it lit but not overfueling is not easy. Every truck is different. My tune on another truck may not run as strong. That is the trouble with "canned" tuning. It was done on someone elses truck. IMHO the Dmax can and will make big torque. It just takes real solid tuning tailored for your truck.
Old 01-29-2007, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by JOHNBOY6.6
Getting the torque up to more than twice the HP on a Dmax is tricky. I have a bunch of tunes that all dyno with in 20hp of each other. But torque is all over. I am talking a range of 250ft/lbs. To much or to little fuel or timing before 2000rpm really effects torque without effecting the horsepower so much. I took me a lot of dyno time and mostly dumb luck to get my torque up where I wanted it. The trouble is the turbo. Getting it lit but not overfueling is not easy. Every truck is different. My tune on another truck may not run as strong. That is the trouble with "canned" tuning. It was done on someone elses truck. IMHO the Dmax can and will make big torque. It just takes real solid tuning tailored for your truck.
It's the same with any engine...a 12v with lotsa timing and BIG turbo's will normally make less torque than one with smaller chargers or less timing!

I'll agree with you though, it's all in the tuning!
Chris
Old 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Banned

Eric Merchant told me of the numbers before I could get my foot out of the truck this past weekend at Suncoast. I am very happy for those guys they worked VERY hard to get there. The Stuckey truck could only muster 956ish on the bottle this weekend, that got anyone scared?
Old 01-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Beeram305
Well guys, looks like we have some catchin up to do! Isn't competition great?
eh not really. Madsen's engine is all stock with the exception of lower compression pistons.

Nasty Girl has quite a few internal mods.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by duratothemax
eh not really. Madsen's engine is all stock with the exception of lower compression pistons.

Nasty Girl has quite a few internal mods.
just wanted to say thanks for being a gentlemen, any other person would have ran with that and say oh the DMAX is king now, and that cummins has all this catching up to do. thanks for being a nice guy well in my eyes at least. got to give credit where credit is due.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:45 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by Don M
Skeptics, skeptics, always skeptics.

The owner lives in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada. The dyno event was in Danville Indiana. He is driving home right now in the truck with his trailer behind him (-:

Give him some time and the graphs will go up, if he decides to post them.

Here is the video. Does that look like 1k in smoke?

http://rides.webshots.com/video/3043369300096577034
He is from the Hat eh, Do you know if he ever goes to the drag races there? I was to the drag races there back in may , but there was only one D max running , only diesel running infact , and it was a red dually.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:04 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jwb600
hey off the subject, you help build lots of trks correct?
can I get a built tranny with just an input shaft and be ok or get all billet shafts if possible?
feedback is very appreciated
Instead of Hijacking the thread, try the PM system..

Good work. Man I don't care how you do it, but 1000 Hp on #2 only is a pretty elite club. The ability of building your own tunes with EFI Live just amazes me. Ford puts in stop-blocks in their ECM to catch downloaders and GM leaves it wide open for anyone with a laptop to tune... Crazy...

Don M injectors to boot, very nice.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by signature600
It's the same with any engine...a 12v with lotsa timing and BIG turbo's will normally make less torque than one with smaller chargers or less timing!

I'll agree with you though, it's all in the tuning!
Chris

I do agree. The CTD will make more torque at the same HP if tuned correctly.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Instead of Hijacking the thread, try the PM system..

Good work. Man I don't care how you do it, but 1000 Hp on #2 only is a pretty elite club. The ability of building your own tunes with EFI Live just amazes me. Ford puts in stop-blocks in their ECM to catch downloaders and GM leaves it wide open for anyone with a laptop to tune... Crazy...

Don M injectors to boot, very nice.

LOL, can you imagine TWICE the Power that we had on our trip to Red Deer?

It was fun with what we had, I cannot imagine what 2x the HP would be like to drive.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:00 AM

hey littledog just trying to ask a question. I didnt hijack anything. But I deleted the question, since its such a big deal.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by jwb600
hey littledog just trying to ask a question. I didnt hijack anything. But I deleted the question, since its such a big deal.
No big deal man... You just would get a faster response with a direct PM. With 5 pages of posts its gonna get lost real fast. Not intending to offend..

GJ,

I couldn't see how 2X the power would be driveable, let alone in a 2WD... Thats just nutz. Mind you the engine is FAARRRRR from stock..
Old 01-30-2007, 04:49 PM

Wouldnt mind seeing that thing on a sled! Wonder how she would hold up!?!!
Old 01-30-2007, 10:22 PM
The Guru

I wonder how motor he's gone thru to put up those kinda numbers? It would be interesting to see how well it holds together.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:31 PM
Chapter President

It seems to me that after all the internal mods (pistons, rods, cam, block girdle, head mods etc. etc.) the heads are going to be the weakest link. The last runs reported glycol boiling out and they found that the injectors were lifting out of their cup bores in the head. Some were saying that another clip will hold it, but I seem to think that the high internal pressures are putting that Aluminum into its limits for strength. Now before all the bricks start flying about the Nitromethane dragsters using aluminum, true, but they only last about 10 seconds.

As far as how long it lasts, who knows. Kinda cool to have a Canadian flag on it, not to mention from good ol Alberta.

Quick Reply: 1000+hp d-max