Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

reading Diesel Power saved my butt this time

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
reading Diesel Power saved my butt this time

I was unloading bales the other day off my bale trailer while my KW warmed up for the morning, when I left it she was running just fine at 875 rpm, when I got done unloading bales it had shut itself off, it would crank like crazy but wouldn't fire to save its life, called my friendly neighborhood mechanic who suggested it may have been low enough on fuel to have sucked up an air bubble or 2 and that caused it to lose fuel pressure and shut off, tried priming the system to no avail............. call mechanic back, he said to see if it would fire with a tiny bit of ether or brake cleaner as a fuel substitute.....it would run just fine all the way up to 1400 rpm by the sound of it (I was beside it spraying ether straight into the intake pipe into the head) while it was running, dad noticed that the tach didn't work at all during the minute or so that it ran on a sniff of ether. that got me thinking back to reading about Cummins swaps into fords in DP mag a while back and all the fun that was had trying to get the ford computer to think the engine was running without the correct crank and cam speed sensor readings, after another call to the mechanic and $360 later we swapped out the cam speed sensor on the front cover and it fired up very nicely and hasn't missed a beat since...........I was getting scared it was going to need a trip to the shop for further diagnosis until that point.

sorry that got a wee bit long winded but its hard to explain