Big Rigs Talk about other Cummins powered vehicles here. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even have to be Cummins, but it will be diesel! :)

FLD steering column

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FLD steering column

Is it hard to swap out a tilt column in place of a fixed column? Can't hardy drive the truck after a few days between having to sit on top of the pedals to reach the wheel, sitting crooked so my spine is somewhat straight, etc.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No it's easy. Same mounting bolt pattern for both columns as long as they are the same model truck. You can swap them out in 45 min
Old 11-02-2013, 04:02 AM

How did you make out?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:52 AM

Can't do much for now, hopefully before wheat next year. Going to suggest we rebuild the condo to at least 450 HP 13 speed and daycab it. Detroits pull so much better than the Cummins in this truck. And this thing eats ECM's. 95, 400 N14. Usually in a long pull keep the fan on it's OK, other times a long steady (not really even that heavy sometimes) pull, and something gets hot and it drops a cylinder (or like last night, 2). No check engine light, just doesn't run on all 6, then it will shake like it's trying to ventilate the block, and runs on all 6 again.

Unless we can get a better seat in it, and set it so it can move back farther, a tilt wheel isn't going to do much good anyhow. Seems to me my knee was always bothering me with a decent seat and tilt wheel in the FLD I ran at Robert's.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:18 AM

Check for shorted ecm wires where the harness is near the block. Also check the ecm cooler for blockage, it's on the back of the ecm and has 2 fuel lines running to it. If its eating ecm's its usually do to a intermittent short and of an overheated ecm.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:33 PM

We have a new harness in the shop, just needs put in. When the temp gets up about 190-195 or more and stays there is when it seems to act up. There's times you just can't keep her cool and get anywhere, we have some long pulls to get going on around here and with a 10 speed it just ins't a great set-up for dragging around at 90,000#. Doubt the cooler was checked for blockage though. It has a fuel heater but I am pretty sure we are running with its coolant valves closed.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:17 AM

190-195 is nothing for that engine, especially hauling that weight. That doesn't concern me in the least. I would verify supply Fuel pressure before anything else is thrown at it.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:09 PM

What should the pressure be?
Old 11-12-2013, 09:27 PM

We put a new fuel filter on yesterday, fired it up tonight and it started acting up, but not as bad, so fuel flow may be an issue. Forgot to mention, the check engine light doesn't come on when it's acting up.
Think I found why it's so gutless. The people who did the ECM rebuild said top HP is 400 without changing engine parts, but the tag says 350/390 HP and 1350/1500 torque.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:42 AM

Psi at idle should be around 50ish then 150 at 1200-1400 rpm. It is normal for ramp up pressure to approach 200 psi on full throttle snap.

Couple things to check, pull the return line off the heat exchanger behind the ECM, should be a 90* fitting. It should have a check valve in the fitting, take it apart and clean it, they plug up. Also on the top front portion of the fuel pump their should be a large plug that looks like a large regular screw, (flat blade), remove it and inspect it. Actually replace it, about $15.00 at Cummins. I think these may be your issues, very commonly overlooked.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:45 AM

It's a 95 1st generation celect, it won't capture irregular engine events so no check engine light on a fuel problem is normal.
Old 11-16-2013, 12:32 AM

OK. It's been running pretty good with the new filter. We need to find a bigger filter for it, it's a dinky little thing on it. Maybe about the size of a fram PH16. Had a larger NAPA filter that they said was the same thing but bigger and a tighter micron rating but the threads were different and it wouldn't screw on.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:51 AM

Hastings filter #FF1060 is a 10 micron fuel/water separating filter that I use on all our N14's. I would recommend it or an equilvelent other brand.

Type in ff1060, it will bring up a picture and all the specs on the filter.

http://catalog.hastingsfilter.com/
Old 11-17-2013, 03:16 AM

It started running like crap and misfiring again today. Didn't have anything to spin the filter off to change it so I just drained a little out of the water separator/fuel heater and got just a little crud out before clean fuel, but it smoothed right out. So it is definitely a fuel problem.

I can't remember the exact NAPA number on it, starts with a 3, but I can't remember the next number, seems is ends in 52.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
It started running like crap and misfiring again today. Didn't have anything to spin the filter off to change it so I just drained a little out of the water separator/fuel heater and got just a little crud out before clean fuel, but it smoothed right out. So it is definitely a fuel problem.

I can't remember the exact NAPA number on it, starts with a 3, but I can't remember the next number, seems is ends in 52.

Can you post a picture of the fuel/water separator/heater?

Quick Reply: FLD steering column