ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Wheel bearing and huge tow bill

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
So what do they do if you have an RV membership and a class A motorhome...
Old 01-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got sick of borrowing trailers to retrieve my junk (or treasures that I find that I don't think I can live without ) so I bought the pictured 37' tridem gooseneck deck trailer to haul stuff. Front 5' of the deck is fixed, last 32' is electric-over-hydraulic tilt. Has a live roll at the back and a 12000# Warn winch up on the goose to suck on anything alive or dead. I'm going to add some sort of a flip-over ramp at the back to cover the roll for drive-on loading. Way overkill for what I need, and probably for what the truck is capable of, but the price was good. Same deal applies to me as Clay said-I can be very hard to find sometimes but if you can get hold of me and I'm not tied up with something I can't get out of, I'll come to the rescue.
Attached Thumbnails Wheel bearing and huge tow bill-0277164_19.jpeg  
Old 01-08-2010, 06:33 PM
DRD

That's a big trailer. You could put a small trailer on there and a few quads and have a Redneck toyhauler.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:33 AM

My 5th wheel is 34'-so I could probably put it up there and have room under the hitch at the front for a couple quads! Think I'll stick to pulling a 2nd trailer behind it though....

This trailer is way bigger and heavier than I rightly need-but I couldn't pass up the deal so I'll make it work for what I want. The POs were into a ton of stuff including hotshot-but they actually used this for hauling their bobcats for landscaping....go figure, they said it was a real pain to get around residential areas with it....
Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Did they do both sides for $1200? If they didn't seems pretty high price. $245 each for OEM
Old 01-09-2010, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one side for $1200. and $16/km tow.

Thats a nice looking trailer.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by DRD
That's a big trailer. You could put a small trailer on there and a few quads and have a Redneck toyhauler.
You mean like this:

Name:  DSC_3614.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  179.7 KB
Old 01-09-2010, 05:24 PM

The AMA RV membership will tow your RV or your Truck and RV trailer. No flat decks etc.

If you have had your 1ton truck and or trailer towed consider yourself lucky. Their policy is to not tow anything over a 3/4 ton for the membership, unless it is a RV.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by JHansen
I got sick of borrowing trailers to retrieve my junk (or treasures that I find that I don't think I can live without ) so I bought the pictured 37' tridem gooseneck deck trailer to haul stuff. Front 5' of the deck is fixed, last 32' is electric-over-hydraulic tilt. Has a live roll at the back and a 12000# Warn winch up on the goose to suck on anything alive or dead. I'm going to add some sort of a flip-over ramp at the back to cover the roll for drive-on loading. Way overkill for what I need, and probably for what the truck is capable of, but the price was good. Same deal applies to me as Clay said-I can be very hard to find sometimes but if you can get hold of me and I'm not tied up with something I can't get out of, I'll come to the rescue.
Good lookin trailer. I'm waiting for a deal on something like that to pop up. Although a tandem that was 7' shorter would be much better.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 AM

If I had my preference, this one would have been a shade shorter and tandem duals instead of the tridem. But you take what you get, right? Has a lot of neat features on it-the tilt deck has a roller integrated into the front of it for the winch line to run over, the winch itself is on a receiver-hitch style mount so I can pull it off and use it with my truck etc., sliding cargo winches down both sides in addition to the stake pockets, the front of the hitch is sheeted in as lockable storage, the bottom of the nose is sheeted in expanded metal for storage. LED lights all around, 5 of the 6 tires replaced recently and brakes done last year. By the time we were done wheeling and dealing, I paid $6500 delivered to my door with the winch included as well as 6 cargo straps, a ****** block and a bunch of cargo pins for the side rails. I think in the near future I'll upgrade to a wireless controller for the tilt and the winch-just over $500 CDN gets a pro-grade 4 channel wireless setup with 200' of range which should allow self-loading of pretty much anything under the sun.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:17 PM

I was wondering about BCAA's policy on this so I contacted them... This was their response to towing 1 tons etc with stuff in the back.

Thank you for your inquiry. From the BCAA membership brochure, road assist benefits provide for:

Service to properly licensed four-wheeled passenger, pleasure or recreational vehicles. Dual-wheeled campers and motor homes (two wheels on the front and four on the back) are eligible for all services except towing, extrication and tire service. Dual-wheeled pickup trucks (two wheels on the front and four on the back) not carrying a load, are eligible for every service except tire service.

This means that pickup trucks over 3/4-ton capacity are indeed eligible for assistance (except for tire service), but if they have dual-rear wheels they must not be carrying any load.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:59 PM

So whats the point of paying extra for an RV membership is they won't tow your RV?

Other than a camperized van I think almost all RVs have dual rear wheels...
Old 01-15-2010, 12:01 AM

I know, I'll just take off the two outer rear wheels before the tow truck gets there.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:15 AM
The Guru

The trick is also to find a tow outfit that's willing to haul your RV. Enough though you have the AMA insurance, who know when you can get assistance.

I found it easier just to find a family/buddies truck with a fifth wheel hitch for the trailer, than get AMA to tow the entire unit.

Throw in the dually issue, it gets complicated. I've been stuck on the side of the road twice towing my RV. The truck is the easier part. I have the AMA RV memebership, I think your allowed five free tows in a year. One year I had three.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:06 PM

I had AMA for 8 years and only got a few maps. Had it just in case. Finally needed a boost and got "we can be there in 8-10 hours". I understand that it was busy but given the history, I'll save the $80 a year and take my chances.

I've needed assistance a few times but haven't spent more over the years.