ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Wheel bearing and huge tow bill

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by morkable
Not too mention, I still like Sushi,, LOL
LOL... Paulhus was supposed to be here for a few days last week and opted for work instead, needless to say he missed out on some great salmon fishing!!! We'll have to get together for sushi again when i get back. I'll give you a shout.
Cheers!
Old 09-20-2009, 06:00 PM

Sounds good
Old 09-20-2009, 07:27 PM

AMA-RV PLUS the way to go,as i travel back and forth for 6-7 month a year to Gull Lake where my RV lot is.If you buy all your fuel at Mohawk/HusKy 1% of your purchases is rebated from your membership cost---mine is free cause of all the fuel i use diving there+the 70,000 km a year i log at work too.Came in handy last week when the neighbor up there locked herself out of her RV at 11:00PM,no husband around,keys/cellphone/jackets all in the trailercouple of kids outside----one call and 45 minutes later she was in---lock guy had the door open in 30 seconds.NEXT DAY A CASE OF "BEEEER" ON THE DECK TO ENJOY.DW
Old 09-20-2009, 09:17 PM
The Guru

03 ant a hemi, its to bad you didn't have one of our ph#, could have saved some money on towing. I was doing nothing this weekend, and had time to bring tools and parts, and tow if required. I have AMA RV, I learnt the hard way that it will save you cash. Last year I had two free tows and all you can get is three free tows with AMA. Its difficult finding someone who can tow an RV?

Is momma talking to you again? Murphy likes to visit you when your on vacation.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:06 PM

As soon as my 04.5 went off warranty, I also got the BCAA premium RV package. Still have never used it in over 3 years, but what the heck, with 344,000 kms on my 04.5 it is bound to break down one day! I work about 150 kms into the bush every day, so one day it might pay for itself...
Old 09-20-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally was not worried about a tow bill myself. To go from Calgary to Red Deer is about $300, what I did not expect was a $578 bill to go 40 km in a national Park. Then have the dealership charge another 1.5 hrs on what they said and charge another $280 more for the part.

I replaced my driver side wheel hub bearing this after noon, it was $310 and took me 45mins to do start to finish.
In total time it took me two and a halve hours, but that was "I took the wheel and brake mount off then realized I did not have the socket I needed to remove the wheel nut". So I had to drive around to find one, needless to say PA is the store to go to for tools at the last minute.

Actual work time for the bearing removal was 45mins from the time I got my jack out to the time I lowered the truck to the ground, the second time around.
The dealership charged 2.5 hrs.
and double for the exact same MOPAR PART I bought from Parts source.
How they get away with crap like that I don't really know.

People wonder why I have no sympathy for them when they were crying the blues over being bankrupt.
I won't willing go to a Dodge Dealership to buy a part if I can go elseswhere.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:23 PM

Hey Tate when you get some days off and are putting in that kit, if you need a hand feel free to gimme a shout. I plan on getting one some day and would like to see how it all goes together first.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:15 PM

Fred, I'll let you know when that day comes. I'm really hoping its before halloween, but the way this job is going, who knows.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:13 PM

Just to let you guys know, if you have a quad cab long box, or a mega cab, or a 3500 SRW, DRW and have anything in the back of of your truck AMA will not tow your vehicle under their agreement. Even if you have the RV Plus.

I just went in and talked to them about a membership and they say they cannot tow anything over a 3/4 ton truck due to weight.

Went off on how all these trucks have welders or quads in the back of them and weigh to much and blah blah blah.

I asekd what they expected a truck to be used for? no reply.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:27 PM

Interesting..... The back of my truck is always full of something. I wonder if it is the same thing as bcaa???
Old 01-07-2010, 03:49 PM

I've never had a problem with AMA. My truck always has about 1500 lbs worth of tools in it and it's been towed a few times.

I know the owner of the tow company here in town and he says they tow or flatdeck whatever it is, he has never left anything on the side of the road. A couple of times he had to go get a bigger truck but they haul it all.

They get a little weird when it comes to loaded horse trailers, but they towed ours once when the old tub died on the side of the road.

Jeff
Old 01-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I live in Cochrane and have truck/tilt deck trailer. Comes is VERY handy. Pulled my '03 back from Canmore when I purchased it.

Sold a tow dolley to a guy in Banff a few years ago. Got tired of paying big towing fees.

Pretty hard to get a hold of me when you're on the side of the road but if you can I'd come help out for gas money as long as there are no dead bodies involved. Sorry but I don't know you guys that well.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by cLAYH
Pretty hard to get a hold of me when you're on the side of the road but if you can I'd come help out for gas money as long as there are no dead bodies involved. Sorry but I don't know you guys that well.
Appreciate the offer, but don't worry, if I'm dead I won't call

Jeff
Old 01-07-2010, 05:06 PM

I think the offers placed on here to help guys out are awesome.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
Just to let you guys know, if you have a quad cab long box, or a mega cab, or a 3500 SRW, DRW and have anything in the back of of your truck AMA will not tow your vehicle under their agreement. Even if you have the RV Plus.

I just went in and talked to them about a membership and they say they cannot tow anything over a 3/4 ton truck due to weight.

Went off on how all these trucks have welders or quads in the back of them and weigh to much and blah blah blah.

I asekd what they expected a truck to be used for? no reply.
When my VP died on my dually 4 years ago, I was told similar. Rates for one tons are higher than 3/4 and smaller due to being used like trucks. He seen my empty truck and charged the lower fee, which still came out to $90 for 15 km. It sucks, considering I could have 4k lbs. of weight in my 2500 and nothing in my 3500 and the one ton would cost more. Time to start debadging and just tell them its a 2500 regardless. Won't help with the wheelbase limitations though.

Quick Reply: Wheel bearing and huge tow bill