ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins............

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dodgediesel wants a good daily driver, and a capable towing rig. You boys are setting him up for sled pulling/drag racing competition...and D-I-V-O-R-C-E...

dd it's not this complicated, several nice setups that will perform great, without having too fine tune, to this extreme.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by JJPage
dodgediesel wants a good daily driver, and a capable towing rig. You boys are setting him up for sled pulling/drag racing competition...and D-I-V-O-R-C-E...

dd it's not this complicated, several nice setups that will perform great, without having too fine tune, to this extreme.
Copy that JJ......
Just simple please......
Old 04-01-2011, 11:47 PM

None of it is complicated once it is installed, it is set it and forget it for the most part.

What it is, is a broader power range, with better snap off the line, and better top end cooling and pull. It is no more complicated then any set of twins, I am just moving the wastegate from an internal part of the turbo, to the exhaust manifold, so the whole system can perform better. No extra parts, just more efficient packaging.

I really don't know what we are dealing with budget wise, and Jamie asked for my opinion on what I would run. That set there other then I am running an S480/race cover is the exact set going on my DD, toy hauler, weekend hot rod ect...
If I didn't already own the S480 I would have went with the 478, as it is a quicker spooling turbo, that really gives up very little flow to the 80mm wheel.

If we are talking a competition setup for twins, the SMALLEST primary I am considering is an 88mm wheel, and more likely then not I am recommending a 95mm + one, but that really is based on setup, and goals. And is very off topic.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:05 AM

My main goal is quick spool and be able to tow a bit in the summer. I'm always eyeballing my pyro when towing and am tired of it. No sense in just doing a single. I for sure don't need over 700hp. I do also have a 100 shot of NOS that is always available too....
Old 04-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Probably can be done. I'm not a smarty guys, but can you adjust at what pressure you can open the wastegate at? Rob and I talked about this some today. Might help you out to dial in the twins if you keep the stocker. Might have to install an old style diapham actuvator to get it to open right.

Was also told that the 07 turbo uses a different turbine inlet flange than a T-3. The S362/S478 would be a great set-up, but like Brett said, external gates really make a big difference, and its worth the extra effort.

I want to buy one of those speed steel manifolds and run a GTX3582R and a GT4718 on my 2010 truck at some point. I would like to run one of those fancy turbonetic new gen gates, just too see for myself. I bet that that twins set-up on a 6.7L would spool-up the GT35 pretty quickly. Might run the AMS gate controller just to try out.

Typically people run to big of a secondary, really all the secondary function is to get everything started, at that point the primary does the work.
I don't think I'd bother with a GTX as a secondary. I don't think the benefits outweigh the extra cost, although it would look killer having two 11 blade compressor wheels. After hearing Brett rave about your GT35R/GT42 combo, I'm gonna switch mine up and put in the GT35R as well. Probably do the reverse style twins this time too, show off the GTX a bit more.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Any set you buy, you should fine tune. Otherwise you're leaving power on the table. And tuning of wastegates is free, so why wouldn't you?
Old 04-02-2011, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
Any set you buy, you should fine tune. Otherwise you're leaving power on the table. And tuning of wastegates is free, so why wouldn't you?
You would, I did, my wastegate is adjusted/blocked shut!

dd is getting info overload, just trying to keep him from getting discouraged about the whole compound turbo upgrade, also help him stay within a budget he's(wife) comfortable with.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:21 PM
The Guru

Hard to believe for a guy that only like to run big single turbo

I'm going to build my own dream twin set one day. No Tate I'm going to run the GTX and run a larger primary. Never know I'm might want to do. Sure more fun building a set from scratch, but that's me.

I'm going to run a speed steel and a new gen gate. Still not set on what primary I want to run. Garret make nice stuff
Old 04-03-2011, 10:35 AM

You would, I did, my wastegate is adjusted/blocked shut!
Interesting, don't you find this overloads the secondary? Each set is different and requires individual tuning so I wouldn't be astonished to learn on this set it makes for balance.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Hard to believe for a guy that only like to run big single turbo

I'm going to build my own dream twin set one day. No Tate I'm going to run the GTX and run a larger primary. Never know I'm might want to do. Sure more fun building a set from scratch, but that's me.

I'm going to run a speed steel and a new gen gate. Still not set on what primary I want to run. Garret make nice stuff
You mean the SteedSpeed manifold, or are you making one from HSS?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by dvst8r
Interesting, don't you find this overloads the secondary? Each set is different and requires individual tuning so I wouldn't be astonished to learn on this set it makes for balance.
While attempting to adjust my wastegate, and not getting the result I was trying for, I was in daily email and phone conversations with BD/Piers Harry. PH told me to block the wastegate shut and adjust my fueling to maintain egt's below 1250*.

I can get to 1300* if I try while towing, but not often. Been running them this way for 3 years, no issues. You are limited with this setup, and I'm sure there's more power to be had if I increased my fueling, but like you said, then it would overdrive the secondary, I'm satisfied with it the way it is.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:18 PM
The Guru

You mean the SteedSpeed manifold, or are you making one from HSS?
Tate, I want to try one out, just to see. I also want to try one of those turbonetic new gen wastegates. It would be a sweet set-up for your dually my friend. Way easier to get the external gate to work. The home made stuff works great, its just tons of work to build.

Jamie, as for getting twins on a truck in two days, yes it can be done, but me personally I like abit more time to dial in the truck and get your monies worth. It easy to buy a set of industrial/source or who ever twins. Throwing them on there are still lots of little secerts to get them to work right and not cause issues. Melted enough wiring harness, plastic hose, transmission handles and so on, to know what to do and not to do. Towing a 10-15k RV, and actually use all that power for towing, takes abit of tuning. Once it gets dialed in it works great. Buying a set of twins out of the box, hard to say what would happen. Never liked running S300 for secondary turbos, the gate isn't a great design for twins.

I thought everone knew that Piers was a jokerster kinda of guy. He told everyone to wire the gates shut, but in reality, he was one of the first guys to massage/run larger gates. I've tried running my stuff with them wire closed, running thinny gates, large gates and external gates. I remember buying a PDR HX-40/BTH-3b kit, way way way back in the day. The HX-40 isn't off the shelf piece and it was custom built.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:59 PM

Hey, The R700's are a nice sound system, are they the best, hell no, never stated they were, but they work and are virtually bullet proof. Can you build a custom set of twins to match a specific truck that will work better, I'm sure you can...

I appreciate all your mishaps, hopefully at your cost and not a customer's, to advance and improve, compound setups available. It is the process that we all learn by, not necessary to to downplay other applications that differ from yours.

Instructions for blocking the wastegate pertained to the R700's exclusively, did not include other BD kits.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:09 PM

I thought the 700R's were larger than a 62/65/13 over a S475. If they are smaller, I have to go bigger than the 700R's. I can get a sweet deal on them though ($4250.00)........
Old 04-03-2011, 10:43 PM

Jamie, if you end up being set on the bd twins, I will get you a much better price than that... but as I said, there are better options IMHO

Quick Reply: Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins, Twins............