ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

ohhh. thats not supposed to do that.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ohhh. thats not supposed to do that.

i bought some gaskets in hope that my truck will stop markin its territory. while i was goin through my valve covers i found that every single rocker arm had horizontal slide, though only several had any noticable vertical movement. im not sure if im supposed to be able to slide my rocker arms side to side but i doubt it.

i also would like to check on my KDP and seal a leak on my power steerin pump. the only concern i have is pullin my front cover. i dont know if i need a puller to get the fly wheel off, though i dont know how to get it off without one. my other issue is the crank postion sensor or speed sensor. im not sure what its called on the 12v. there seems to be a specific measurment for this system.

in short im lookin for a puller, a feeler gauge set that goes from .010 to .100, and somebody familar with settin valve lash. it would help if they wouldnt mind spending some time in somebody elses garage. perhaps with some refeshments.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:03 AM

There is supposed to be some axial movement in the rockers. If they had none, they would bind when they got hot. Shouldn't be a lot, but some nonetheless.

You should be able to pick up some feelers at acklands, or even Napa. Usually 0.0015 to 0.030 or 0.040 is the norm. Lots of info online on how to set the lash.

The balancer just bolts on, and sits on a spigot on the end of the crank. Pulling it and twisting at the same time will take it off. Just be ready for it, as it does have a bit of heft. When you're pulling and it finally comes off, you might end up eating it. Hardest part about doing the KDP is getting the fan out of there. I usually pull the fan shroud and fan together. Some say there is a way of getting the fan out without removing the shroud, but I've never seen it.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can pull the fan without the shroud by taking off the fan mount from the block, if i recall there is 5 small bolts that hold it on and one is a pain but it can be done. I think i had to modify a wrench. Also it's handy to make a cardboard cutout in the rough shape of the gear cover and punch holes in it to match the bolt pattern of the cover as the bolts are different lengths.
While you are doing the KDP it is agood idea to pull the gear case bolts out one at a time and reseat them with loctite, some you have to access through holes in the gears again not hard just time consuming. This helps keep them tight and stops the gear case from ever getting loose and shifting around.
Yes your rockers should slide side to side as Tate said the push rods are cupped so they won't ever slide out.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
The balancer just bolts on, and sits on a spigot on the end of the crank. Pulling it and twisting at the same time will take it off. Just be ready for it, as it does have a bit of heft.
I left the bolts threaded in just a bit to catch it when I did mine.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:03 PM

Done

note to self, the wash bay in calmar has a poor engine cleaner. which means i have to go back and get the rest of the sludge off.

i have tabbed my KDP with some aluminum i had layin around. i hope that i have found all of my leaks. my vac/powersteering pump was tryin to wander off. had a look in there before this little adventure started and found one of the bolts halfway out. little bit of threadlocker and a torque wrench for that.

i found it the easiest just to clear out the whole area between the rad and the block. cleaned off the fan shroud then pulled it with the fan in one shot. unbolted it from the block. the dampener wasnt heavy, just a hassle. 135ft-Ibs doesnt let go real easy. took some creative wrenching to get that off then on. my tensioner doesnt have enough pull to hold the dampener in place. i would recomend playin with it when the fans not there.

my pin hadnt moved so i didnt tighten anything inside. sometimes its just best to leave sleepin dogs lie.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:27 AM

I meant to respond, mostly because Im close. But I just didnt have the time.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:57 PM

the weather forced my hand. if it had stayed warmer a little longer, i mite have left it. now i have to figure out how to get my quad back into the garage with out lighting it on fire.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:26 PM

Glad you got it taken care of. And yeah winter is back with a vengence eh?
Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 PM
The Guru

Its a common issue to over tighten the 12V valve cover. Very easy to ruin the valve cover gasket. These CTD engine leak all the time. I just fixed my 02 transmission leak, the schrader valve on the input of my VP start to leak diesel.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Its a common issue to over tighten the 12V valve cover. Very easy to ruin the valve cover gasket.
The bolts are shouldered, so they can't go too far.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 AM

its nasty out there today. there talkin -40s with the wind. time to fire up the tiger torch and dig out some stove pipe. if it wasnt plugged in or running it probably froze.

i torqued my valve cover to 18ft-lbs. in fact i think i tightened everything to 18. unless i could find a torque spec. hanyes doesnt have all of them but they do cover the basics.
i can see a person strippin those threads out or busting a bolt. i dont think id wish that on any one.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 AM
The Guru

My 02 truck, when it does that weird 3cylinder idle, dump diesel all over the place. Once I kick the truck off high idle, the truck run fine and I have no fuel leaks.