ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

I need help figuring this one out...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No you can't see the ball and spring in the return banjo without removing it. What you see on the outside of the banjo head is not the ball. That's just how the non adjustable style is made.

The ball will be at the bolt tip. Not at the head.

I have the cummins part number at home. But I am in the geometric center of no where rig now looking at a savanna drilling rig.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 PM
The Guru

Typically you can hear the valve relieving, mine makes a noise when open fully. I would guess it would pop at around 16psi. Is all the connector nuts tight? You have decent orings on the cross tubes. Is the lines going to the VP tight? You could put in a check valve on the inlet side of the VP, as the inlet side might be bleeding down. About 90% of VP hard starting issues are caused by those injector lines loosing the seal requirements. Sure miss driving my old 02 VP ride, been awhile for me as well.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-5-3-6-2-4
No you can't see the ball and spring in the return banjo without removing it. What you see on the outside of the banjo head is not the ball. That's just how the non adjustable style is made.

The ball will be at the bolt tip. Not at the head.

I have the cummins part number at home. But I am in the geometric center of no where rig now looking at a savanna drilling rig.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
Nor sure what I am seeing then if the ball is in the bolt head...I can see a shiny ball in the opening at the bolt head. When I had the fitting out of the truck, it was hollow inside and I could see the other side of this shiny ball. Could the ball get pushed to the bolt head and stay stuck there or am I hullucinating? Would not be the first time. LOL
I wrote down the part numbers off the bolt when I had it out. I think we will replace it.

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Typically you can hear the valve relieving, mine makes a noise when open fully. I would guess it would pop at around 16psi. Is all the connector nuts tight? You have decent orings on the cross tubes. Is the lines going to the VP tight? You could put in a check valve on the inlet side of the VP, as the inlet side might be bleeding down. About 90% of VP hard starting issues are caused by those injector lines loosing the seal requirements. Sure miss driving my old 02 VP ride, been awhile for me as well.
All fittings were tightened after finding the banjo bolt at the back of the head loose and then the VP releif valve bolt not even hand tight! I think once I look at a new valve, I will see whats going on. The check valve on the supply line is something I will do too.
I can do the seals again on the injector lines. I need part numbers for them though.
We are running 21 psi, Should I turn the pump down some? It runs real nice once its running.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 PM

dont know if this has been suggested or not.

on equipment ive seen a tank breather plugged and after it is off it was a hard start caused by a slight vaccum in the tank. could try with cap off.

and on another peice it was a weak/worn injection pump.

soory thats all i got
Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boy, with that fuel pressure, it should show a leak right away on the pressure side of the LP to the return line. Hmm.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:46 AM
The Guru

I would do a really good engine wash and see where the fuel leaks are. Usually that works for me.