ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Cat fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat fuel filter

Well, I've started the process to put a cat fuel filter onto my 06. An observation was, however, that the 12mm/-6JIC had a much smaller diameter on the 12mm side than on the -6JIC side. I plan to just drill this out, and I'm wondering... Is there a reason it was restricted, and is there a reason not to drill it out? I realize it will not be as smooth on the inside as the original coated finish, but it will be significantly larger. Yes, I can clean it so I don't get metal shards into my pump...

Thanks

ps - parts all sourced in Edmonton, from either Greggs or Acklands (other than the cat filter from... CAT)
Old 03-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is this the same filter they put on the DMaxes when they were going through their injector replacement program? I seem to remember it was supposed to be the fix as it was a much better filter.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:33 PM

You bought the filter housing and Gregg's?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:53 PM

The filter housing(Baldwin) was bought through Acklands. Some of the hydraulic fittings were bought through Greggs, although I later learnt Bosch hydraulic was way cheaper on the metric to JIC fittings (1/3 the price). I got the fuel lines made up at a local hydraulic shop, and although I have it, I haven't put it on yet, the baldwin water seperator/course filter was bought at Acklands as well. I had the filter bracket made up from 1/4" aluminum bent at a local welding shop (Parkland Welding).

I did learn stuff (I have it all installed now)... I will be removing the fuel line from the filter to the pump... At the pump I'll be putting in a T fitting, and a valve. This will allow way easier air bleeding (read this as - the fuel line cracking at the fuel pump was a ***** with the heavy fuel line we used). Coming out of the cat filter will be another T fitting, and it will be for future use for a fuel pressure gauge. That one will wait...

The other thing I learnt was... I will be using fuel line with the push in JIC fittings for the replacement line for the cat to pump next time. IF you get crimped JIC fittings, you need to make sure you have a way to orientate the hose, as it is not easy to twist the hose to fit if it takes a dislike to you. We did it by using a seperate screw in 90 fitting. I'll do it in the replacement by using the push in fittings.

I'll try to get pics over the weekend. The line from the factory filter housing to the cat filter was 23" to the center of the 90degree fittings. The line from the filter to the pump was 12" and that was too short due to the rigid parts of the fittings. I would say at least 15"(check this if you are doing it), and of course, with the modifications I'll be doing, it will be more than that when I build the new line.

In a total do over the fuel line would all be push in JIC fittings. The rest of the components are easily located in the area. I'll be checking with Bosch to see if they can order the 90 degree JIC fittings in. They had the straight ones in stock...

BTW, if you want part numbers for the suppliers, I'll dig through the receipts...
Old 03-12-2010, 10:27 PM

Part numbers and prices would be great, thanks
Pictures of your set up too

Thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 10:30 PM

Since you are in Spruce, and I'm in Stony, how about you just look see anyway? PM your number...
Old 03-12-2010, 10:33 PM

I ran the whole low pressure side of my fuel system with -8 Goodyear GatorGrip hose and pushloc JIC fittings. its the only way to roll no doubt about it. drilled and tapped the side of the swivel 90* I used at the pump inlet for -4 NPT dor the FP guage line. swank. and you're right. its bad hydraulics to use 2 angled fittings on the same hose. 1 end should always be a straight. and use a swivel angle fitting for the straight hose end if required in application.

Name:  Fuelpressure001.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  Fuelpressure004.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  37.7 KB
Old 03-12-2010, 10:37 PM

Where did you source your hose? Locally?
Old 03-12-2010, 11:40 PM

Well i guess i should change where i live then cause i too now live in Stony,LOL
Old 03-13-2010, 12:42 AM

I got it off the shelf at work.......

but seriously you can get it almost anywhere. Any hose shop, Greggs, Traction HD supply, Acklands, doesn't matter what brand. as long as its pushloc hose, diesel rated. good to go.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:22 AM

Hmmm. 90 degree JIC fittings or did you have to run two fittings? I couldn't find any pushlock 90 fittings... And by then I needed the truck up and running again, so put in crimped...

What did you do for the 12mm to -8? Wouldn't there be quite a restriction?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:38 PM

no. mine were custom made at Ability hose for me here in calgary because they didn't have stock on -8jic to m12. and I couodnt wait for stock to arrive. So on their lathe and silver soldered and drilled through. they used 2 plugs back to back. its really easy to make fittings actually. I got rid of all my banjo bolts and upped the fittings in my FASS to -8.

you can drill the shoulder out from inside the fitting. if you want. but honestly in the whole scheme of things. the few thou out its not going to be an actual detriment to the flow and demand for fuel. Imo.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:48 AM

The ones I got from Greggs had a BIG restriction. The one's from Bosch were very minimal. I just figured with a -8 there would be a much bigger restriction (relatively speaking) than from the -6. I didn't bother drilling the Bosch ones. The Gregg's ones will be going back tomorrow... And I guess going back to the pics and looking again would help...

Thanks Luke...