ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Anyone have FASS or AIR DOG?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have FASS or AIR DOG?

I am intrigued by the air removal systems from FASS and AIR DOG. Can anyone say the expense justifies the results? Has anyone installed a system and thought "wow, this thing really made a difference!". I've put too many performance parts on my vehicles and later thought "gee, that was no big deal".

I'm going to throw on an H&S XRT Pro right away and delete the egr and dpf. Probably will only run the 60 hp program as I am more concerned with getting that emissions junk (mostly the egr) off my engine. Also, will get the transmission unlock program for the H&S to help my six speed shift better.

If anyone has any advice or comments, I'd like to hear them. Especially from fellow Albertans, eh!
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 AM

The H&S with the emmissions delete will make a big difference.
The Fass or Air Dog wont really make much of a difference from a wow factor perspective. They do pump better than stock but SOP is nominal.

That said, it is a great support part relative to improving filtration and supporting higher power mods down the road if you are inclined to go that way.

I got mine when my stock LP packed it in for a second time. I dont regret the extra filtration.

But they are a bit noisy and if you are staying mostly stock, there are better ways to go for the filtration.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You can definitely justify the expense provided you purchase for the right reasons....... Don't purchase one thinking it will give you magical HP numbers or expect big mileage gains...just not realistic....

Now what you do gain and NEED especially for your truck is cleaner fuel and one of these can give that to you because of the finer filtration they provide.

The stock filter is simply not enough to keep contaminants from damaging your injectors, you NEED better filtration. You don't have to take my word for it just do a search on injector problems here and you will quickly learn just how important cleaner fuel is for the life of your injectors.

The added bonus of one of these is IF you decide to push the HP up a ways, you will have the fuel you need to do so
Old 05-20-2012, 12:21 AM

I had Top send me up an AD150 3+ years ago. My fuel pressure hasn't dropped to zero since. That was a regular occurrence with the OEM fuel pump. I also modified the install. See my sig.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:39 AM

I put an airdog 2 165gph system on my 04' last summer. It made quite a difference from idle to WOT, I actually gained a few pounds of boost as well. Better filtration and a full fuel pressure at all load levels, it's well worth it IMO
Old 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM
The Guru

Installing a fass or airdog into a newer than 03 truck is a pain in the Edit. First off you have to either drill a hole into the tank for the draw straw or remove the factory lift pump. Most people buy a liberty fuel module.

We have been using for years now 255LPM walbro pumps and princess auto filter heads (using the fuel filter of choice), and fuel pressure regulator (adjustable efi fuel regs works great). I run 45psi of fuel pressure on my 02 truck, works awesome.

I just installed a home made fuel filter system onto my 2010 truck for $20 to $30(cat 1R-0750 filter and the stock 2010 fuel filter system). Using the stock lift pump, on H&S blackmaxx hot setting, I still have 10-12psi of fuel pressure at wot, using the stock lift pump.

I'm going to install 35% oversized nozzles into my 6.7L truck here soon and I let you know if there is still fuel pressure. Worst case I going to add a second pump and a hellman fuel module.

Fass and airdog stuff is over priced stuff.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:20 PM

Hey Mike

Can you list a source for the pumps? I need to put a lift pump in, and looking at options. I didn't realize PA sold the correct bases. Acklands wants $50 or so for a Baldwin FB1311. I'll try get a part number from PA. Also, the liberty unit... do you have a source on them?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 PM
The Guru

the liberty fuel module is available at the dodge parts counter or glacier.

here is a diesel power mag fuel system build thread
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/d...e_ram_cummins/

here is the cummins tech tread.
http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/3r...formation.html

Just go into the PA hydraulic area for filter heads.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:24 PM

just checking, but that is lph, not lpm?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:46 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't buy any of those "air removal, entrained air", etc, etc claims by FASS & Airdog. I also don't like the underchassis fuel filters hanging down.

I've gone thru several different configurations but I'm back to a standalone Walbro GS392 255LPH pump mounted on the frame rail.
It's pulling thru my stock original tank non-pump fuel cannister, a small Fleetguard strainer, then pushing thru the stock fuel filter & thru a Fleetguard 5 micron or Donaldson 3 micron before the CP3.
15-18 PSI at all times.

The AirDog Raptor standalone pump is pricey but a nice piece. It's got a built-in, easily adjustable regulator with an internal bypass.

Glacier Diesel in Spokane has many options:

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/de...dept_id=19-008
Old 05-22-2012, 11:33 PM

I went with the Raptor pump when Airdog started up. Its was $299 back then. My truck isnt never going to be a 500hp, have 0 reason. Im good with 350 to 400 levels if that. Before I could draw fuel pressure down to 1 to 2 psi with in tank pump. Mine is a 03, had the upgraded in tank pump. Found a cannister without the fuel pump inside. Now fuel pressure stays around 15psi. Raptor claims dont want fuel before it, so didnt bother. Suppose to have life time warranty, it leaked fuel. Then sent me brand new for free. So Im impressed. I run it stock fuel filter, then I added a secondary fuel filter before the cp3. Couple buddies went with airdog, they have a very hard time finding replacement filters for them. Plus they were using a very small fitlers. Maybe they have changed that. Like Joe said, not sold on removing air.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:45 PM

Airdog 100 on my 2001---never a peep out of it,but i can hear it a bit over the noise of my 24 valve.Better after market filter are readily available at Cummins(flleetguard) for the Airdog,been running them for years,no problems here @14 PSI ,pulls down to 12PSI with the throttle dropped. Looking at going to same route on my 07 but probable add a secondary(glacier)filter system,a Liberty fuel canister and maybe a Titan 52 gallon larger tank in there too with no banjo's and 3/8 or 1/2 inch fuel line to the CP3-----still thinking.DW
Old 05-23-2012, 09:18 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by StealthDiesel
I don't buy any of those "air removal, entrained air", etc, etc claims by FASS & Airdog. I also don't like the underchassis fuel filters hanging down.

I've gone thru several different configurations but I'm back to a standalone Walbro GS392 255LPH pump mounted on the frame rail.
It's pulling thru my stock original tank non-pump fuel cannister, a small Fleetguard strainer, then pushing thru the stock fuel filter & thru a Fleetguard 5 micron or Donaldson 3 micron before the CP3.
15-18 PSI at all times.

The AirDog Raptor standalone pump is pricey but a nice piece. It's got a built-in, easily adjustable regulator with an internal bypass.

Glacier Diesel in Spokane has many options:

http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/de...dept_id=19-008
I run my fuel reg just before the injection pump. Helps to prevent hard starts as the IP keeps its prime so start-up is just a quick start.

I found that those 2um cat filters are cheaper than the factory units.

Whats funny as heck, the stock filter housing on a 2010 is all plastic, same goes for the fuel line going from the filter to CP3.