ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

I want a lift and no shop (yet) is taking me serious

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry I want a lift and no shop (yet) is taking me serious

So I have been shopping around the Calgary/Southern Alberta area for a lift and some modes for my 2012 Dually. I have had a few quotes, but when it comes to pulling the trigger, no shop has stepped up to take my truck.

I am crazy picky when it comes to my truck, not just anybody can touch it. To tell you the truth, I usually interview the shop before anybody even comes close to my stuff. The few shops I have talked to tell me they will call back in a day or two, well it has been weeks to months and nothing. I would like somebody around my area if there are any issues and I need it serviced.

What I would like for my truck is:
- Carli Performance 2.5" King Off Road Racing Shocks or the (Billstein 2.65?)
- Carli Mild Steel control Arms
- Carli Front Diff Guard
- Carli Torsion Sway Bar
- Carli Lower steering stabilizer
- Carli High mount steering stabilizer
- Carli Long Travel Air Bags and Air Bag Compressor kit
- Mag Hytec tranny and rear diff guard
- 35's X 12.5

Anything you can think of that I am missing ??

I am not planning on running the Baha with my dually, just want a lift that will pull what I need, keep up with the oil patch and incase of a ditching. Something as bullet proof as possible.

So I guess does anybody know of a shop that:
- Deals with CARLI
- KNOWS their stuff
- Stands BEHIND their work
- Has GREAT customer service
- and I won't regret using or have to go postal on (if something breaks)

Please PM me.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Although I am not sure if he is a dealer or not, I definately can recommend Rob Winkworth (sp?) he goes by winkdemon on here. He is very good and very customer orientated.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:36 PM

You could talk to Stephen at Khaos Kustoms in Stony Plain. I know thats not Calgary, but he's a good guy and he deals with some Carli stuff by what I've heard from him.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM

Look into HRT offroad they are a Carli Dealer or Castle Custom Trucks.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:11 PM

Call Craig at Baja North in Kamloops B.C. http://www.bajanorth.ca/ 250-579-8509, tell him Jeff from Sundre sent you.

They are a Carli dealer as well as a Fab shop specializing in race and pre runner trucks. They know their stuff, and have built many a race truck that competes down in the US running the Baja 1000 and such. They are also Canada's Number 1 King shock dealer.

I've known Craig for over 20 years and highly recommend him. Lot's of Alberta oil patch trucks are running their stuff.

Jeff
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 PM

Call up HRT Offroad, they deal specifically with Carli suspension. I haven't had any work done by them personally but from what I've heard they do great work and pay attention to detail.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Give Melcom a call at Harbour City Diesel 250-758-8210 its a little far but I now he would do it he's a little book up but he will give you a good quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM

Thanks guys...it gives me some other shops to look into.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:10 PM

Hey couple words of advise. Any time you use a suspension with sperical bearings (rod ends) you will notice that they wear out quicky in our environment. How are you going to run 35x12.5? on a dually going to use spacers? I run Americain force on my 2010 dually and they work awsome but very pricy. I would run a Mag Hytec front cover will give you all the protection you need. One steering stabilizer will do also.

Malcolm
Old 03-21-2012, 08:52 PM

Mag-Hytec front "MAY" not work on newer model trucks with the thicker/beefier tie rod ends/bars,like what i had done with my 08+ steering upgrade to my 07 dually("CHECK THE WEBSITE,THERE IS A WARNING").I had the pan ordered in but was told at the last minute it would not fit.Another guy with the same upgrade had the shop take a grinder to the pan to make it fit----spend all that money on one and"butcher it"to make it fit.This is first i have heard about the end links wearing out quicker up here as i was going to run the Carli ones when i finish my suspension.DW
Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
The Guru

I would run the top gun custom lift kit, more kit for less money (nicer long arm/rear traction bars design). Run Dever rear springs

if you buy the king shocks, but get the cold weather kit, heard a few issues with them during cold weather operation. Might want to look into upgrading the ball joints to a carli or duratrac.

HRT is probably the best carli dealer locally.

I would just install your own lift kit, its pretty easy install. and save the money for beer
Old 03-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by shlen
So I have been shopping around the Calgary/Southern Alberta area for a lift and some modes for my 2012 Dually. I have had a few quotes, but when it comes to pulling the trigger, no shop has stepped up to take my truck.

I am crazy picky when it comes to my truck, not just anybody can touch it. To tell you the truth, I usually interview the shop before anybody even comes close to my stuff. The few shops I have talked to tell me they will call back in a day or two, well it has been weeks to months and nothing. I would like somebody around my area if there are any issues and I need it serviced.

What I would like for my truck is:
- Carli Performance 2.5" King Off Road Racing Shocks or the (Billstein 2.65?)
- Carli Mild Steel control Arms
- Carli Front Diff Guard
- Carli Torsion Sway Bar
- Carli Lower steering stabilizer
- Carli High mount steering stabilizer
- Carli Long Travel Air Bags and Air Bag Compressor kit
- Mag Hytec tranny and rear diff guard
- 35's X 12.5

Anything you can think of that I am missing ??

I am not planning on running the Baha with my dually, just want a lift that will pull what I need, keep up with the oil patch and incase of a ditching. Something as bullet proof as possible.

So I guess does anybody know of a shop that:
- Deals with CARLI
- KNOWS their stuff
- Stands BEHIND their work
- Has GREAT customer service
- and I won't regret using or have to go postal on (if something breaks)

Please PM me.
Go see Erik Hansen @ Altitude Adjustments in Red Deer. I've know him since he first got into 4x4s working for Modern Motors in Calgary. Can't tell you if he deals with Carli but he certainly knows his stuff! They are located @ #4, 7659 Edgar Industrial Drive Ph: 403-343-2509 Let him know you got his info from Dave Sinton
Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM

Another vote for HRT, as you specifically mentioned carli and they are an actual carli dealer.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by 24VChevy
How are you going to run 35x12.5? on a dually going to use spacers? I run Americain force on my 2010 dually and they work awsome but very pricy. I would run a Mag Hytec front cover will give you all the protection you need. One steering stabilizer will do also.

Malcolm
Malcolm: Running 2 inch dually adapters from "WheelAdapter" to fit the 12.5s. I have a pair on my 02 dually and like that "Mad Max" look. I ran a Mag Hytec front diff cover on my 08. I had to grind 3 inches of fins on it to get it to fit but had no other issues then that. I have been warned that Mag Hytec has had issues with there front diff covers for the 4th gens not fitting right and know a few guys (actually just one) that have accidently pulled the cover catching a whoop just right (actually a large pot hole as he was turning).

As with the bearing issues this is a first I have heard of it. I am assuming as long as I am not running in 4x4 for hours on end, that would keep the bearing issue to a minimum. Anybody else have insight into this issue??

Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
Might want to look into upgrading the ball joints to a carli or duratrac.

I would just install your own lift kit, its pretty easy install. and save the money for beer
Planning on upgrading the ball joints as soon as the factory wear out.
I would love to install my own lift but don't have the time, space or tools to hold heavy diffs up.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 PM

I get most of my Carli stuff from Big Dog Performance. They will install anything that they sell. Take care.

Quick Reply: I want a lift and no shop (yet) is taking me serious