ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

***?? I'm getting pretty annoyed at this truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
***?? I'm getting pretty annoyed at this truck

I went for a drive today, and besides the temp being all over the place, when i left my destination................no speedo???? what now.

Wink, do you have any free time in the near future?

guys any suggestions?

anyone wanna buy a first gen that is **** near a new truck besides the body and bench?
Old 10-30-2009, 01:48 AM

Did you flush you system ? if so how
is your speedo bouncing or dead ?
Old 10-30-2009, 07:26 AM

yeah we flushed the system. New rad cap and t stat. Temp gauge climbs way to high. then drops off, climbs up but not as high. then reapeats. AAs funny as this sounds, it "seems" like "gravity" affects this. i.e. dropping down a hill, or a sharp turn. as this is happening the heater temp is up and down with it.

And the speeedo. I have noticed minor bounces in the past and a good bounce yesterday. always between 2nd and 3rd( 30kms). I drove for 1/2 hr yesterday, parked fot a couple hrs. When I left, i pulled onto the highway and noticed I was going 0 kms/hr heh. crap.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Almost sounds likea bit of air in the system still for it to get really hot and then the tstat to open. I usually burp mine by leaving the rad cap off and run it up to open the tstat a couple of times, may be hard to do with a stick though.try running the rad cap just on the first catch for a few miles and see if that helps too. The cycling is normal for these things,because of the huge rads, the only time mine doesn't cylce is in the summer when i'm towing. Dave and i were talking about this yesterday. Mine climbs to 90* then it falls back to about70* or so.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:21 AM

well the gauge thing seems the stat issue with these new stats , i put a new one in my 95 on the weekend and now the gauge goes up and down never did it before , put the old one back went away again , so i am thinking it the new stats that are on the market ....

as for the speedo thing , this you won't like but , try the old PCM in there and see if that fixes it .... if that doesn't we will look in to it more
Old 10-30-2009, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by winkdemon
well the gauge thing seems the stat issue with these new stats , i put a new one in my 95 on the weekend and now the gauge goes up and down never did it before , put the old one back went away again , so i am thinking it the new stats that are on the market ....

as for the speedo thing , this you won't like but , try the old PCM in there and see if that fixes it .... if that doesn't we will look in to it more
I was thinking that about the pcm,Hopefully cause at least it is under warranty. As far as the over heating.....if It was just a gauge issue I wouldn't be too worried about it but its peressuring the system up and spewing all the flluid into the overflow and then out if it climbs too high. and its not rerally sucking anything back in(that I've noticed).

I will try the old pcm after work today and maybe I'll try "burping the system" with the cap open abit.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if its a ground issue or something like that with the harness. Without a good mechanical gauge on the coolant temp, it may just be noise in the harness.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I usually pulled the heater core hose when filling the rad to let air escape. Also only use a genuine Cummins t-stat(from Cummins or Dodge) anything else is known to work erratically.

On my old '92 when the speedo quit it was always the plug on the t-case. Pulling it off and wd40ing it and some dielectric grease usually had it going for another 8-12months then I'd have to do it again.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Pickin on the wrong admin...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by winkdemon

Wahhhhhh...And I just throw my old t-stat out just a few months ago..
Old 10-30-2009, 08:17 PM

not the pcm.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you remove and clean the plug on the t-case?
Old 10-31-2009, 11:55 AM

I'm gonna o that this aft.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:45 PM

Speedo fixed(somewhat) I pulled the little contraption off the transfer case and cleaned it up nicly along with the connector. The little rod that goes into the other thing is worn pretty good which explains the little bit of bouncing I still have. I'll have to try the wreckers one day and replace it.

I took the t stat out today. hopefully this isn't a horrible thing to do. It is rrunning a hell of a lot more consistant temp but it is pretty cold. I was thinking of putting a small relief hole in my t stat. Any thoughts on this????
Old 10-31-2009, 06:31 PM

Some guys will drill a small hole in a t stat when they install them to help air bleed though. doesn't seam to affect operation of the cooling system that I have seen yet. I guess the worst it would do is drop your coolant temp a hair
Old 10-31-2009, 06:53 PM

Thats what Im guessing. I have an extra so maybe I'll try this on the not cummins stat that I have kicking around.

Quick Reply: ***?? I'm getting pretty annoyed at this truck