4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Trailer Tow Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer Tow Mirrors

I bought my 2018 Ram 2500 SLT 4x4 long bed diesel used. It had been used only one year as a rental from Enterprise and had 16031 miles on it. It had the tow package and I did not notice until later on that it only had the standard mirrors. I bought a pair of slip ons that helped but I noticed that even these gave very little view to the side and back of the trailer making the job of driving tougher than it needed to be. Years ago I was a long haul truck driver & I remember being able to spot overtaking traffic with ease even at night. I'm older now and my eyes are not what they were but I have to think that better mirrors that stick out farther & are larger would be a big help. With this in mind I did an internet search and found these:

https://www.1aauto.com/ram-1500-1500...1111790&y=2018

They arrived today and comparing them with the slip ons can see they will be better. These are going to be job to install as the door has to come apart and some special tools have to be used which I have ordered. There have two features that my truck did not have, turn signals & "puddle lights." Reading the comments these features can work by "reflashing" the computer, something some did themselves, other by taking the truck to a dealer. Fair enough.

I see another feature that might be useful, power folding. If I understand it correctly, these new mirrors are powered. That makes me wonder if I replaced the switch control unit on the door with one from a truck that had the power fold feature if it would work with my new mirrors to make this feature work. Has anyone tried this? If so, how much does switch panel cost? Is this another "computer flash" job?

Paul

Old 07-06-2020, 06:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Are you sure your mirrors are indeed power folding.....or are they simply power adjustable as far as the main mirror is concerned?

EDIT....upon reading the supplied link, they are marketed as manual folding after all.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I believe you are correct. I had misread the poop sheet. There is some mention in the comments about power folding versions which probably caused my confusion.

Paul