4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Tire Pressures Climb On The Road?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Pressures Climb On The Road?

I just made my first trip with a load in the bed & a fully loaded trailer. I started it with 75 psi in all 4 tires. Over the course of the day running up I-5 in CA toward OR the outside temps got up to 107° in places and the TPMS was showing pressures of 85 + psi. Is this something to worry about? What warning signs or tire trouble should I look for?

I'm thinking of putting 80 psi into the rear tires for the next load which will be even heavier. That is what is placarded on the door jam. The tires are the factory Firestones.

Paul
Old 07-06-2020, 01:46 PM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
Heat always makes higher pressure...Even driving in cold weather will heat the air inside the tires causing the pressure to rise...If you're carrying enough rear axle weight to warrant the higher pressure, do it...You're still within safe limits...Remember those recommended pressures are given as cold (before driving) pressure......Ben
Old 07-06-2020, 03:42 PM

I fully expected pressures to rise with heat but had not anticipated north of 10 to 15 psi. That had me a bit worried. I stopped periodically and felt the tires with my hand. They were warm but never too hot to keep my hand on them. Before I had the TPMS I would probably not have worried . . .

Paul
Old 07-07-2020, 08:23 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson29
What warning signs or tire trouble should I look for?
If you are running TPMS on all 8 tires, you are ahead of the game. Your tire temps appear to be inline with normal driving in hot weather (asphalt gets even hotter).

If you are not using TPMS on the trailer tires, or are interested in hub temps, you might want to invest in an
IR Thermometer"><span style=IR Thermometer" /> IR Thermometer">IR Thermometer
. Although it will not give you the tire pressures, it will tell you if one tire is much hotter than the other on that side. The hotter tire is likely lower on pressure. Lower pressure makes for more flex in the tire, more flex makes more heat. If you have a slow leak, it is nice to catch it before it blows.

Whenever I pull over for fuel or a stretch, I'll take temps of all my tires and trailer hubs. It just takes a minute as you walk around your vehicle.

Back to morning brew . . .

Old 07-07-2020, 08:51 AM

Received 365 Likes on 272 Posts
That is an excellent idea for us dually owners, FMB...And I have room in my toolbox...Off to Amazon!......Ben
Old 07-07-2020, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by FMB
If you are running TPMS on all 8 tires, you are ahead of the game. Your tire temps appear to be inline with normal driving in hot weather (asphalt gets even hotter).

If you are not using TPMS on the trailer tires, or are interested in hub temps, you might want to invest in an IR Thermometer. Although it will not give you the tire pressures, it will tell you if one tire is much hotter than the other on that side. The hotter tire is likely lower on pressure. Lower pressure makes for more flex in the tire, more flex makes more heat. If you have a slow leak, it is nice to catch it before it blows.

Whenever I pull over for fuel or a stretch, I'll take temps of all my tires and trailer hubs. It just takes a minute as you walk around your vehicle.

A great idea! I already have one of these tools. What temp figures would give you cause for concern? Do you just look for the odd man out?

Paul
Old 07-07-2020, 11:58 AM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Hudson29
What temp figures would give you cause for concern? Do you just look for the odd man out?

Paul
Yes, odd man out. You will get a feel for it after a few times. Need to remember subtle things like if you are heading North in the afternoon, the driver's side tires (in the sun) may be warmer than the passenger side tires (in the shade). Also, temps on the truck tires will differ from those of your trailer's due to size, load, pressure, etc. If you find the pair on one side of the trailer within 5# of each other, keep an eye on it to see if it gets worse or not. May be a load issue and not a problem. On the other hand, if the temperature difference is >10#, pull out your tire pressure gauge and get dirty.

I will check my tire pressures pre-trip and won't check the pressures again during the trip. Last trip was about 5,000 miles over 10 weeks and 11 primarily western states. I will, however, check temps at every stop.
Old 07-07-2020, 01:56 PM

I'll dig out my temp gage and take it along this next trip which is just next week. I still have my old tire knocker from my driving days but that is really a pretty crude tool.

Paul