4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Differences between ST and SLT?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Differences between ST and SLT?

I am finally looking into upgrading to a new ram and looking at differences in trucks. What are the differences between ST and SLT 2500?
I know the SLT has a second glove box instead of a shelf, electric sliding rear window and power seats. Is there anything else?
is it wort $2500 more for the SLT?
Do they both have HD tranny coolers like the 3500s
I will be hauling a camper on the back of the truck and towing a car trailer with a jeep on it at times so I'm trying to figure what is the best truck to go with. Any of the above rigs will run circles around my 01 ram.

Is 3.73 the standard gear ratio for most of the Diesel trucks?

I'm sure I will have other questions so I will end it there.
Thanks for looking.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:09 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It's not that easy without comparing window stickers. I was in the same situation and bought a slightly used (6 months & 7k miles) SLT over a brand-new ST that was only going to be about $1500 more. Besides the stuff you mentioned (2nd glove box, power rear window & seats) I decided I could not live without:
-The "secret" gun compartment under the front-middle seat.
-The extra power ports.
-Chrome clad wheels (not important of course if you're buying new wheels anyway).
-Remote unlock/lock.
-4wd selector is on the dash in the SLT (some like it better on the floor, but it gets in the way of the middle passenger's feet).
-Tow hooks.
-Heated mirrors.
-Block heater plug & battery blankets (probably a regional thing- not SLT/ST dependent).
-The in-floor "coolers" (I think those weren't in the ST).
-The fold-flat rear seat storage compartment covers.
-Some SLTs have upgraded stereos, but not mine (RES model).

Most of that stuff was in my old truck I sold and I felt like I'd be going backwards with an ST. I saved $1500 plus got a whole lot of options I thought I couldn't live without. Also, I think when it's time to upgrade that selling an SLT will be much easier than an ST.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
It's not that easy without comparing window stickers. I was in the same situation and bought a slightly used (6 months & 7k miles) SLT over a brand-new ST that was only going to be about $1500 more. Besides the stuff you mentioned (2nd glove box, power rear window & seats) I decided I could not live without:
-The "secret" gun compartment under the front-middle seat.
-The extra power ports.
-Chrome clad wheels (not important of course if you're buying new wheels anyway).
-Remote unlock/lock.
-4wd selector is on the dash in the SLT (some like it better on the floor, but it gets in the way of the middle passenger's feet).
-Tow hooks.
-Heated mirrors.
-Block heater plug & battery blankets (probably a regional thing- not SLT/ST dependent).
-The in-floor "coolers" (I think those weren't in the ST).
-The fold-flat rear seat storage compartment covers.
-Some SLTs have upgraded stereos, but not mine (RES model).

Most of that stuff was in my old truck I sold and I felt like I'd be going backwards with an ST. I saved $1500 plus got a whole lot of options I thought I couldn't live without. Also, I think when it's time to upgrade that selling an SLT will be much easier than an ST.
Most of the stuff on a SLT can be had on an ST such as the remote locks. But I was told you can not get fog lights on an ST...

If I could get an SLT with the manual transfer case, I wouldn't even look at the ST, but because of it, I too am wondering what I can't get on an ST, that's available on an SLT.

AFAIK, you can't get fog lights or a cover for the 2nd glove compartment. Other then that, I'm not sure .... I wish they would bring back the manual transfer case on the SLT.....
Old 12-26-2012, 11:30 PM

Thanks for the input.
Looks like the ST I am looking at tomorrow has the chrome wheels,
shift on the fly T-case,
Remote unlock/lock
Limited slip diff
Power heated tow mirrors with signals
Premium bench seat (probably still manual)
Brake controller.
Chrome bumpers
Tow hooks
Not sure how much of this is standard on the ST
The ST is $1000 more than a late 2011 SLT with 29,000 miles.
Sounds like it has most SLT options other than electric rear window, electric seat and second glove box.
Not sure about hidden compartment in center seat.
I can get a new SLT for $2500 over the cost of this ST but I set a cost limit and the ST is in the price
I will see if there is any bargening room on top of the factory discounts
again, I want to thank for the help
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM

Thanks for all the help.
I ended up going with an ST from another dealer.
It had all the above options plus bluetooth, Sirius for a year, 265/70/17 tires and spray in bed liner for $38,900
The truck is like night and day compared to my 01.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by KenC
Thanks for all the help.
I ended up going with an ST from another dealer.
It had all the above options plus bluetooth, Sirius for a year, 265/70/17 tires and spray in bed liner for $38,900
The truck is like night and day compared to my 01.
Congrats! Be sure and post picts, sounds like you got a great deal.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats. That electric transfer case is a deal-killer for me. In the 3rd gens, you could get the manual in at least most trim levels (never looked at a Laramie). But when the 4th gens hit, no manual transfer case above the ST level trim, which seems sinful to me.

Hopefully, with the way Ram has lauded their new transfer cases in the upcoming 2013, we'll once again have access to a manual transfer case in ALL trim levels, as it should be.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:36 AM

Thanks, I am very happy so far.
Such a much better truck than My 01
This truck does have an electric transfer case control, I will have to give it a try.
I hope it's as responsive as the manual in my old truck.
I like the other options that came with the truck so I will have to deal with the shift on the fly system
I'll try to post a pic soon
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by KenC
This truck does have an electric transfer case control, I will have to give it a try.
I hope it's as responsive as the manual in my old truck.
I had the same concern, but so far it's been great. As a plus, you can't possibly grind 'em with the electronic transfer case selector (in the case my wife, or heaven forbid my kids, are ever driving my truck and decide the need 4wd). Also, more foot room for any poor soul sitting in the center-front seat.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i did a write-up on this site on how to add the upper glove box. it's a sticky in this section. I'm going to add the overhead console with homelink soon.

I traded my 2011 Laramie for a 2012 ST because i really missed driving a manual transmission and like vinyl floors better than the carpet.

My ST came from the factory with:

Rear floor bins
spray-in bedliner
remoke keyless entry
quad headlamps

I will add the overhead console soon. I also have plans to add the nav radio with backup camera and park sense sensors in the near future. i'll still come out way ahead moneywise.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by chrisminx
i did a write-up on this site on how to add the upper glove box. it's a sticky in this section. I'm going to add the overhead console with homelink soon.

I traded my 2011 Laramie for a 2012 ST because i really missed driving a manual transmission and like vinyl floors better than the carpet.

My ST came from the factory with:

Rear floor bins
spray-in bedliner
remoke keyless entry
quad headlamps

I will add the overhead console soon. I also have plans to add the nav radio with backup camera and park sense sensors in the near future. i'll still come out way ahead moneywise.
I read your write up on the glove box and plan on doing that in the future.

I just bought a 08 Mazda 3 overhead light and plan on installing it soon also (a write up is on here somewhere).

I plan on installing a manual sliding rear window for when I have the camper on the back. (the main reason I wanted an SLT)

The quad headlights aren't standard on the 12s?

What does it take to get steering wheel controls for the stereo?
Not sure if it is an option for higher level trucks or you need an upgraded stereo.