4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Which Bed Cover???

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Bed Cover???

I have been doing some research into bed covers, hard vs. soft. folding vs. non folding ect. and wonder which is the best.

I want to put one on for two reasons, one to keep stuff dry back there when I need to. And two for mileage, I know its small mabey 1-2 mpg but on long highway trips it adds up.

I had a hard folding cover on my last truck and the seams dry rotted and eventually let water in after about 2-3 years.

I am leaning twoard a soft folding cover this time as it dosn't have seams to crack, the two I have narrowed down to are the "Tonno Pro" or "Extang Trifecta" brands. Does anyone have one of these on their truck and what do you think of it. Problems, pros, cons, regrets ect.

As far as cost the Tonno Pro is about $260 and Extang Trifecta is about $360, and an added for canvas on the extang model if so desired,

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:42 AM

I'm a huge fan of the Extang Full Tilt. It runs around $360 shipped. It's now snapless (no velcro either). It installs in about 30 minutes with the allen wrenches included. It operates like a hard tonneau but can be rolled up like a soft in a few minutes or removed in about 15 seconds. No leaks, either. I've used a few other brands here and there but this is the best I've found for my needs. I've also never had an issue with failure. I'm just an end user...I have no horse in this race, but I do appreciate a good product.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:53 PM

I've owned two of The Access Tonneau covers. Bother were over five years and now fading cracking. They roll up (with the bows built in)and are held in place with built in velcro straps. Good quality.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:21 PM

I just picked up a snap one becasue I like to roll mine up and Velcro wears out. I picked it up off E-Bay for $179 shipped for a 8' long bed. I had one on my 2004 and was great.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:26 PM

Bought a cover

Well after looking at several models and looking at them installed on different trucks, I decided to order the Tonno Pro cover. It was down to the Tonno Pro and the Extang Trifecta for me. And for the cost I couldn't see the value in the Extang. The basic difference was in the spring loaded clamping device for the Extang. It was in the way on the truck I looked at, it stuck out about 4-5" into the are of the bed, making it a potential spot to snag things as you slide them into the bed.

Both seem to do a good job sealing the bed from water getting in, and both are easy to fold up and lock when wanting extra bed space.

Once I drive with it on for a while I will update my thoughts again.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Late to the party, but I've got the trifecta and like it. It's simple and comes off easily when desired. Yes, the spring clamps stick down into the bed. You have to anticipate that when loading.

Don't expect any mileage gain to pay for your cover. Just be happy with the other benefits a cover provides.

I really do like the easy-on/off nature of mine. It's surprising how often I take it off to haul dirt and stuff. I just sold my utility trailer (1-ton international truck-bed based) to a guy with a Dodge 1500 who had a hard-shell bed cover. He wanted to haul landscape materials and it was too much trouble to take the lid off.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had a hard tonneau since 2003... 7 years and I still am using it....looks and works as new.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I run a hard folding cover on my 97 for the last 5 years. The seal is not that great for leakage, but with the snow load and needed security for the stuff I haul, fabric was not an option. The main problem is the gasket between folds for me. -25°F and the gaskets shatter and crack. I have come up with my own seals to make it better.

http://www.advancedfoldingcover.com/

If I were to get a folding cover I would do this:
http://www.diamondbackcovers.com/

Both of these are orders of magnitude for cost over the fabric ones. Advanced for me was $1200, the Diamondback I priced near $2K.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Chapter President

I see now they have a more cost effective LT version.. HMMM.. maybe an upgrade in my future..
Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM

Mine is a "Lund" peal and seal.
easy to install, allen wrench included.
About 15 min if you readthe instructions about 30 min or more if you don't.

Works great for me.

Lund 99053 Genesis Seal & Peel Non-Locking Tonneau Cover About $225
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 PM

I bought the Extang Tri-fecta, best cover I ever owned, its a soft trifold with 2 wing nuts up frount and 2 spring loaded locking handles in trhe back. Takes 30 senconds to put it on and take it off. I never saw any improvement in fuel milage, but it looks nice, keeps everything dry and semi secure(what they dont see they dont steal).
Old 07-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Holy Cow, that Diamond Back is serious as a heart attack. Can't see myself putting anything on top of one though. I just need something that will keep my cargo dry and from walking away. I'd like to get one that I could leave on year round so it will have to be able to withstand a possible 24"+ snow load. That's the most it's ever snowed overnight (until I could get outside to remove it). I hate to spend an arm and leg though. Some are so much I have to wonder if it's just not worth spending the couple extra hundred dollars to get a cap. Not like I plan on buying any refrigerators or trees on impulse that I wouldn't have time to remove a cap beforehand.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:17 PM

RollNLock
Old 07-02-2011, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Apache1
RollNLock
Ditto on the Roll-n-Lock. Mine is manual. It has a strap that is attached from under the inside cover and I just hang the hook (which is the other end of the strap) on the inside of my box.

Name:  Ram-3.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  16.7 KB
Old 07-02-2011, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
color?

Originally Posted by RamGazer
Ditto on the Roll-n-Lock. Mine is manual. It has a strap that is attached from under the inside cover and I just hang the hook (which is the other end of the strap) on the inside of my box.

Hi,Nice truck I noticed it says Atlantic blue pearl.Unless the color is wayyyy of that's Patriot blue NOT atlantic blue which is way lighter.Just letting You know.

Quick Reply: Which Bed Cover???