4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

AutoEnginuity is well worth the money

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
AutoEnginuity is well worth the money

A couple weeks ago I finally decided to purchase the AutoEnginuity Scan Tool to help me troubleshoot my wife's Aspen that had an elusive CEL (ended up being a small evap leak) as well as my truck with electrical gremlins. While I am still trying to get use to it, I thought I would share that this thing is pretty amazing and goes far beyond what I expected of it.

Not only does it read and clear DTCs for nearly every system on the truck, it does live data logging with the engine running, you can actuate many different systems such as reverse lights without being in reverse, quick learn on the transmission, injector tests, turn on/off the power inverter, and even module configuration--in other words, if you installed the factory ITBM you can activate it using this scan tool (I enabled it on my truck last night).

As I was plugging away at checking everything out, I started venturing into the unknown. I came across "module configuration" on the "Test OnBoard System" tab and realized that I may have hit the jackpot. Depending on which system you have activated at the time (Enhanced, TIPM, CCN, among many others) you get a whole ton of options for that system or just a few. I think it was the TIPM I had selected when I came across all the factory codes to enable or disable features on the truck. The only one I recognized at the time was for the ITBM. I enabled it and it showed up on the EVIC. I also found the option to disable the Dealer Oil Change Required Message. There was also one in there to enable or disable interior theft protection...I don't recall the setting it was on (if it is activated at the factory it does indicate it when you pull it up), so I am not sure if that is for the Sentry system or if it enables the horn to go off if someone breaks in.

You can also change tire sizes, adjust min/max pressure for the front and rear tires for those with the TPMS, adjust idle speed if I recall, run tests on the turbo (haven't confirmed it, but there was two options for the turbo), clear emissions counter if you are not deleted, I think I also saw a setting to enable stationary regen...but I may have misread that. Too many options to list...

I know the cost is probably out of budget for most, but if you are your own warranty station, I think it is well worth the investment. Sure, it may not be able to do in-depth diagnostics that a dealer can do, but it can sure do a lot.

I just wanted to share the little things I discovered with this tool. If anyone has experience with this that wouldn't mind sharing their knowledge, it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been wanting one of those. Which model did you get?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:57 AM

It is the ProLine VCI Scan Tool with the enhanced interface for Chrysler Dodge and Jeep.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

Oh, so that package was in the neighborhood of $800 then. If a person were going to keep his Ram for a long time, I think it would definitely be worth it. I wonder if new model year support is a free update once you pay the initial price for the brand of vehicle.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 PM

I only paid $430 something. The scan tool is $250 and the enhanced Chrysler package is $230 directly from AE. The domestic bundle, which is what I wish I got is $800.

If I'm looking at the correct page, it appears that updates may be free, just have to request it.

Old 03-28-2014, 11:22 PM

I keep getting the dash ding and CEL so I hooked up the ScanTool and as expected U0141 [Lost Communication With IPM (FCM/TIPM)] and U0001 (High Speed CAN Communication Bus) were present on the TIPM so I am confident that the TIPM is the culprit. I also had a Wireless Control Module
U0146 (Lost Communication With Gateway 'A') DTC. A quick search revealed the instrument cluster temporarily going out on a Jeep Liberty, which may be related to the High Speed Bus.

Since I had the ScanTool hooked up I started playing with the module configuration again for the TIPM. As mentioned previously, there are a ton a options to enable and disable or "set" or "not set".

Change "System" to TIPM then go to "Test OnBoard System" tab--> "module configuration" -->

Vehicle Config 1:
Regen Present was "set", I changed it to "Not Set"
--I wonder what this actually does
Special Marketing Package: I clicked the wrong button and accidentally set it to SP1 . The options were: SP1, SP2, SP3, and None. I think it was set to none, but I have no clue now. Didn't notice anything weird happen. Does anyone have any idea what this Special Marketing Package is all about?

Vehicle Config 2:
Navigation System Present: Set
--in System Setup on the EVIC there is now an option to enable or disable Nav - turn by turn...however turn-by-turn was enabled when I installed a new/used 2012 RHR radio...just no way to disable it if you didn't like it showing up...now you can

Vehicle Config 3:
Rain Sensor Present: Set
--in System Setup on the EVIC this enabled "Intermittent wiper options" with two options: Standard mode or Rain sensing auto wipe. The Rain sensing auto wipe is what it is set to now, so we will see what this does when it rains again out here

Until next time, this is what I have figured out so far.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Banned

That sounds like a sweet deal. Especially with the amount of things you can do with it. I wonder if that Special Marketing Package is for when they might take a new truck to a car show or even showroom display at dealerships? You know what Regen Present is for. "Not Set" would be turning regen capability off I would think.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 PM

I think it is. I'm amazed at what all it can do. Once i get more familiar with it, I plan on using that in my home based business as a way to draw in more customers so I'll eventually get Ford and Chevy and maybe the Asian and European bundles.

That's a good thought on the SP. I would go to the dealer and ask a tech but I have very low confidence in their ability to understand.

That's my thoughts too about the regen. Could it really be that simple though that the TIPM is the one controlling that capability? That's a money maker right there if that's the case. I wish I knew someone that would be willing to install a test pipe to try it out.

Old 12-29-2014, 03:58 PM

Talking Vehicle Theft Alarm Enabled

Decided to hook up the ScanTool last night to clear the codes from the latest showing of electrical gremlins from earlier this month. While it was hooked up, I decided to see what other feature I could activate and post up some screen shots.

To start, as the subject states, I enabled the VTA. After coming across the vehicle security screen, a little research left me to believe that a module had to be installed from the factory. So, I decided to select it, watched it write to the TIPM, and voila!, it appeared to write just fine. Got out of the truck, hit the lock button on the FOBIK and the security light on the cluster started to flash rapidly, then slowed after about 16 seconds. Surely it couldn't have been that easy, so I lowered the driver's door window and locked the truck again. Once the alarm enabled (red LED light blinking slowly), I pull up the lock and opened the door...not very smart at 11pm inside my garage as the horn sounded off.... I now have an alarm. There is a setting for an Intrusion Theft Module, however, that appears to be for certain export markets, so I'm not sure if North American trucks would have that.

If there was a place to get a list of what all the 3-digit codes mean, I could really have some fun seeing what works and what doesn't.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have the Auto Enginuity scan tool and have been playing with it a lot. My biggest recommendation is write down EVERYTHING as found when you start exploring. I changed my country code and it disabled a lot of things on my truck and took me forever to figure out what I had done. The rain sensor disabled my wipers completely and for some reason I can't change a lot of tipm options.

I would be interested to see if you can disable or enable DRL's (daytime running lights) and if it will actually let you write it. Mine says "unable to write or not supported by module" or something to that nature. When I try on my wife's Jeep Wrangler all of the options write just fine.
Old 01-06-2015, 05:03 PM

I tried enabling the DRL to no avail. Module not available. If that is the case, I wonder what is different about trucks destined for Canada? I think DRLs are required up there, not 100% sure though. If they are required, I wonder what has to be done to those that buy trucks stateside that wouldn't have that feature?

Any how, good point on writing stuff down, but stuff like the fuel capacity (if you saw my other thread), the reading that is displayed is misleading. Anything that has a variable value appears to be based on the current state, which may not be the correct value as was the case for the fuel. Everything that is either not set or set, in my experience, at the time of reading that value, was correct.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 6.7L MegaCab
I tried enabling the DRL to no avail. Module not available. If that is the case, I wonder what is different about trucks destined for Canada? I think DRLs are required up there, not 100% sure though. If they are required, I wonder what has to be done to those that buy trucks stateside that wouldn't have that feature?

Any how, good point on writing stuff down, but stuff like the fuel capacity (if you saw my other thread), the reading that is displayed is misleading. Anything that has a variable value appears to be based on the current state, which may not be the correct value as was the case for the fuel. Everything that is either not set or set, in my experience, at the time of reading that value, was correct.
All new vehicles sold in Canada must have DRL's. I recall that when I got my 300C in 2005, this issue came up about DRL's and it was determined that this was a turn on by the starscan tool at that time, I can't understand why this is not the case now.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Albertaguy
All new vehicles sold in Canada must have DRL's. I recall that when I got my 300C in 2005, this issue came up about DRL's and it was determined that this was a turn on by the starscan tool at that time, I can't understand why this is not the case now.
You're definitely right. The wifes jeep lets me turn DRL's off and on from the exact same menu in the tipm and even choose which lamps to use (high, low, signals, fogs). The truck just gives the message it's not available. I tried getting some info from AE customer service and they told me it's not available, same as the error message. Perhaps they left it out due to legal liability reasons? I'm pretty sure they must be all the same units as my truck has the options for convertible window vent, front parking sensors, etc. from other models that the trucks obviously don't use. Can't see why it works on one and not the other.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:48 PM

Just received the 2010 FSM CD this morning. Here is what it says about DRLs, no where does it say that there is a separate module which leads me to wonder if it the TIPM is programmed with the country code or VIN that identifies the truck to be marketed for Canada. Don't confuse this info for the design of other vehicles, as they will be different as evident from Rollin'_Coal's Jeep.

Albertaguy, does your truck have the Automatic headlight switch? It appears based on the info below, that the headlight switch would have to be in the off position, forcing the user to always have to turn the switch off to be compliant with Canadian laws, negating the ability to have automatic headlights. Do you have a small half dome sensor at the top, center of the instrument panel, close to the bottom of the windshield?

DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS

Vehicles manufactured for sale in Canada illuminate the high beam filament of both headlamps at a reduced intensity when the engine is running, the parking brake is released and the exterior lamps are turned OFF. The TIPM must be programmed appropriately for this feature to be enabled. Once enabled, anytime the TIPM receives electronic messages over the CAN data bus from the PCM indicating the engine is running and from the EMIC indicating the status of the headlamp switch exterior lighting input is OFF and that the parking brake is released, the TIPM provides a pulse width modulated voltage output to the proper headlamp bulb filaments through the right and left high beam feed circuits to produce illumination at a reduced intensity.

DIAGNOSTIC AND TESTING:
DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS

NOTE: Before performing the following tests, determine whether the headlamp low and high beams operate. If the headlamp low and high beams are also ineffective, diagnose and repair that problem before attempting to repair the Daytime Running Lamps.

CONDITION
DAYTIME RUNNING LAMPS WILL NOT ILLUMINATE

POSSIBLE CAUSES
1. Incorrect TIPM programming.
2. Automatic transmission in PARK position.
3. Parking brake applied.
4. Engine not running.
5. Ineffective TIPM inputs or outputs.

CORRECTION
1. Use a diagnostic scan tool to check and configure TIPM if required.
2. Place the transmission gear selector lever in any position except PARK.
3. Release the parking brake.
4. Start the engine.
5. Use a diagnostic scan tool to test the TIPM inputs and outputs. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:01 PM

Had the scan tool hooked up this morning to finally fix the fuel capacity reading and decided to check the DRL settings. I guess mine actually wrote to it the last time I messed with that setting. It showed it was programmed for Canada DRL. I'll have to do some more digging to see if I can get it to work. There was a handful of other settings related to DRL voltage and dropout. I'll put the headlight switch in the OFF position rather than leaving it in auto to see what happens.

Quick Reply: AutoEnginuity is well worth the money