4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What could this be?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What could this be?

Last week my truck started experiencing something similar to a misfire. It feels like as if a spark plug didn't always fire in a gasser. It is a very subtle jerk and you can feel it as much under load as not. The sound of the engine does not change and nothing abnormal shows up on the gaugaes. Also, it is intermittent since it does not happen all the time and never when engine is cold. At first I thought it was just bad fuel so I hooked up the TT and did a 700km round trip, didn't help. The truck ran fine, 70mph at 875 degrees and 10 psi of boost getting 13 mpg. If an injector was letting go wouldn't I see that in the egt's or at least some smoke? I reloaded the smarty (SW1) and that didn't help either. The fuel filter was replaced 3000 km ago and so was the oil. The truck has 26,000 km on it. I am at a total loss. No codes. Could it be the TV or EGR, they both are unplugged and deactivated with the Smarty. Is it bad programming? Can I just program the Smarty to stock (X) setting and still have it deleted? I am running the latest software version.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am worried that I may be watching some critical failure in slow motion.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok. What I would do if it was my truck.

1. Change fuel filters. See if it helps any.
2. Reload programming, possible error, but doesnt seem likely.

Sounds to me like an injector going out. May or may not cause excessive smoke, but will give a slight miss and/or bad shake.

If its on the mechanical side of the injector, you wont get a code till it completely wipes out.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Ok. What I would do if it was my truck.

1. Change fuel filters. See if it helps any.
2. Reload programming, possible error, but doesnt seem likely.

Sounds to me like an injector going out. May or may not cause excessive smoke, but will give a slight miss and/or bad shake.

If its on the mechanical side of the injector, you wont get a code till it completely wipes out.
Thanks for the prompt response.

Would and injector fail intermittently though? When engine is cold this never happens. And when it is warm it happens on a 50/50 basis.

Maybe I'll start by re downloading and re installing the latest software from Mads. Can I try the stock setting or is that only for returning the truck back to EPA stock?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:53 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Id return to stock, but not start the truck, and the reload the programming as if programming for the first time.

Its unlikely that an injector will fail in the way you are describing. Its performance, or lack there of, may be slightly noticeable, and get progressively worse.

If its intermittent at all times/temps, Id be looking for bad fuel.

The different temp situation has me a bit puzzled.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Id return to stock, but not start the truck, and the reload the programming as if programming for the first time.

Its unlikely that an injector will fail in the way you are describing. Its performance, or lack there of, may be slightly noticeable, and get progressively worse.

If its intermittent at all times/temps, Id be looking for bad fuel.

The different temp situation has me a bit puzzled.
Will do thanks. I'll report back tomorrow.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:05 AM

So I flashed the truck to stock and then re flashed it to SW1 (re downloaded the software from MADS). I started her up and went for a drive (I took it easy not exceeding 10 psi when cold). After warming up it seemed that all was good, but then a couple of times under hard acceleration in 4th and 5th it sputtered just once though. And after that it did not do it again.

I have read a few threads on injectors, but mine don't seem to be making any noise or smoke or vibration. I am going on a camping trip in a couple of weeks and I'm worried something might go wrong. Are there any other tests I can do at home to determine whats wrong? If it is an injector, how long does it take for one to fail out right and can a failing injector cause other problems?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:19 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Too bad it's not repeatable. If it did it all the time at a certain RPM/boost psi I would wonder if it was a leak on the pressure side of the turbo, or possibly you're hitting a de-fuel limit. You're sure it's not the trans slipping?

Oh, and one other stupid idea while I'm at it....I've bumped the "key" with my right knee a couple of times and the engine cut out for just a second, two other times it turned off completely while going down the highway and I had to restart . Easy to do especially if you have lots of keys hanging on the ring. I slide the seat WAY back now.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
Too bad it's not repeatable. If it did it all the time at a certain RPM/boost psi I would wonder if it was a leak on the pressure side of the turbo, or possibly you're hitting a de-fuel limit. You're sure it's not the trans slipping?

Oh, and one other stupid idea while I'm at it....I've bumped the "key" with my right knee a couple of times and the engine cut out for just a second, two other times it turned off completely while going down the highway and I had to restart . Easy to do especially if you have lots of keys hanging on the ring. I slide the seat WAY back now.
If it was the tranny slipping my rpm would also be surging, but it is not. Leak on the pressure side of turbo? I have not considered that. Are there any tricks to this other than just a visual? my boost gauge seem to be operating normal although it is very sensitive with the smarty.

One thing I just did was to reprogram the truck back to the previous update (May I believe). The truck is a lot more sensitive to throttle input as I expected with that flash. I only took it on a 20 mile run and didn't notice anything I could feel in my pants anyways.

I wonder if anyone else with the Smarty Jr. is experiencing a similar condition?

BTW, the fuel economy with the previous flash is a lot poorer than with the most current, at least on my truck.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just downloaded and updated mine a couple weeks ago with the most recent program update july 9th and have not noticed any issues with performance from the previous update, but also notice a mileage increase...have mine set on sw1.

good luck resolving your issue
Old 08-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Well this is getting weirder...

As I mentioned in my previous post I reflashed to Smarty's May update and it seems to be doing it less. Here is where I am completaly lost: i plugged in the egr and tv to see what will happen (thinking maybe I'm getting some egr blow by and that's what causes the light jerk) and the egr valve started operating. It was opening and closing and every time that happened black smoke came out. I thought that the 2010 and newer had the egr function reduced to 0 by the Smarty or H&S? Either way no codes were thrown and no MIL light came on.

I am beggining to think that perhaps this subtle jerking is egr/epa related. My TV and EGR are only unplugged, but can exhaust gasses still get by? Can the TV still move, on its own, even though unplugged? Is there a way to set my EGR in closed position and TV in open before unplugging them or should I have them plugged in every time I di a Smarty flash?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:16 PM

I will add to this. One of my work trucks is a 2011 4500 cc with the auto. 14000 miles and it is doing the same thing you are describing. I have had it at 2 different dealers and they reconize the problem while driving but have no idea what is causing it. No codes, no lights so no solutions. I am taking it back in later this week or beginning of next and will let you if they come up with anything. Btw: truck is completely stock, no deletes.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by redneck1
I am beginning to think that perhaps this subtle jerking is egr/epa related. My TV and EGR are only unplugged, but can exhaust gasses still get by? Can the TV still move, on its own, even though unplugged? Is there a way to set my EGR in closed position and TV in open before unplugging them or should I have them plugged in every time I di a Smarty flash?
I doubt that would cause the problem but you could remove the white gear in the TV actuator assembly (kind of a pain to get to) and the EGR plunger (easy) for peace of mind. The Smarty software should disable these anyway.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by SOhappy
I doubt that would cause the problem but you could remove the white gear in the TV actuator assembly (kind of a pain to get to) and the EGR plunger (easy) for peace of mind. The Smarty software should disable these anyway.
I was thinking about doing these, but the are unplugged not to mention disabled by Smarty. I cleaned the MAP as well and tuned the truck back to the most current software. I pulled and checked all the injector harnesses. What I don't get is the truck runs fine while it's warming up or when it's cool outside, like at night. I'm at a total loss so I guess I'll just wait for a code.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:13 PM

Well I've been playing a bit more today and here is what I found. As long as truck is below full operating temperature it runs fine. As soon as it's at temperature it gets the slight intermitent jerk (and you want to be on a flat road or you'll dismiss it for bumps in the road) and even then it's not regular. That would mean to me that as the truck leans out when coming to temperature it leans out too much? Or, it gets too much air?

I am leaning towards waiting around for a code if one is to come. If anyone has any suggestions I'll try it. I do refuse to go to the dealership though. Last thing I want is someone diagnosing my truck who probably doesn't even know how to drive a stick.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:44 PM

Now getting P0601

I decided to put the DPF and NOX filters back on and return the truck to stock. Now I have the check engine light and the lightning bolt flashing and a P0601. The truck runs fine though. not sure what I should do. Is my PCM gone?

Quick Reply: What could this be?