4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

What could this be?

Old 08-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took it for a ride and she runs hot. Idles at 400 degrees. The egr is not working. I idled her for 20 minutes and nothing. Perhaps the stock file within the smarty was corrupted. Does any one have a recovery file for the smarty they could share with me?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:02 PM

The latest in my ordeal:

I reloaded the original Smarty software from March or so and preogrammed it to stock. No codes returned. Also when the truck is cold and I start it up and turn the E brake on the egr comes on and stays on (as it probably should). However, whe she warms up and is just idleing the little egr wheels are not turning at all and they should.

My worry is that maybe the ECM does not know the egr and DPF are there. Is there any way I could test that before going for a longer drive? I don't really want to have a stall as a result of a full DPF. I just want to see the truck go through a regen to confirm everything is back to stock.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:37 AM

Well, I contacted MADS about my problem and they told me that my battery was probably below 12.5V. It wasn't, both were and are at 13.3V.

Anyways I removed the brown EGR plug to see if the ECM will see it and I got P0405. Then I pulled one of the O2 sensor plugs from the DPF and got a P0036 which also sounds right.

My question is if the ECM sees all these items why is my EGR not cycling while the truck is idling? If the truck is cold and I turn the EB on the EGR turns on with it. Can it see the DPF and not put it into regen?

Is this a normal ordeal of returning the truck to stock or am I the only one having this problem. The truck drives and feels like it was deleted, but it's not.

BTW, the slight jerking is now gone since I returned to stock programming.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:15 AM

I know this is a stupid question, but do I have to run non ME software to return the truck to stock? I have been in contact with MADS and they areasking me to double check that I am runnin non-ME software. I thought stock meant just that, stock.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same results returning my truck to stock using the non-ME software (I gotta get the truck smogged before next month!). Mads and Bob Wagner both tell me it's a known issue they are working on. I read on some forgotten forum it is related to a Ram update, but my truck hasn't been to the dealer since last winter for the tie rod end recall.
BTW, I verify the stock software is in place by seeing if the asterisks are gone when I first plug into the OBD port - this means it is NOT VIN locked so it is back to stock.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:57 PM
The Guru

My truck did something similar when new. I would get an erratic crank sensor code, but the code wouldn't stick/latch (wouldn't show up on code scanner). What I did was do a code scan with my H&S blackmaxx when it occurred. I saw a quick/breif crank sensor code come in on mine. Dodge just wanted me to re-flash the truck, I told them to stick that idea cause its was a crank sensor issue. My truck also used to do the long crank, crank to start. After the crank sensor was replaced, no more defuels, no more crank, cranks.

On a 06-5.9L 48RE 2500, we would get injector rattle and a rail pressure code for a crank sensor not working (forgot to plug in the sensor). Funny idle (miss), but no crank sensor code. The truck would idle up to 1700-2000 rpm when you tapped the throttle.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:53 PM

Only code I get is P0601. It shows up with the Smarty loaded but does not cause the MIL or ETC lights. Causes the lights when I return the truck to stock and if I try to clear codes when it is stock.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:12 AM

I think stock on the ME software is a stock ME truck but I'm really not sure (don't have a smarty). Can't you download the non-ME tune from MADS and load that on the smarty then return it to stock with the non-ME tune just to be sure?
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 AM

You can't run ME software without deleting the DPF or you will plug it. The EGR is disabled in either software version so physically removing the parts is optional, but the DPF makes the difference between which load you use.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:04 PM

Small update... I got a recovery sw load thru Bob and loaded it on the truck. No codes, but the Smarty is still VIN locked to my truck. What next? Load non-ME version on the Smarty and go to stock? go to sw1? My goal is to get back to stock for a smog test and I'm not sure the recovery sw will clear the emissions test OBD scan. Anyone with any experience with the recovery sw?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:55 PM

If you know anybody with a half way decent obd2 scanner (like the kind you buy at auto parts store) they will tell you if it will pass emissions...my buddy at work has one he bought at autozone and it pulls/clears codes and tells you if it will pass emissions or not.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:25 PM

I have a decent OBD scanner and it said all of the emissions monitors were ready with the Smarty loaded! I have the recovery load still in it and only two of the monitors are "have not run" status. PM for particulate filter and NM for non-methane hydrocarbon catalyst. I'll drive it for a couple days and hit a smog shop when they are ready...
Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 PM

Yep...basically you gotta let it regen and those should clear...get on it..mine took 2 weeks to clear!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by redneck1
I decided to put the DPF and NOX filters back on and return the truck to stock. Now I have the check engine light and the lightning bolt flashing and a P0601. The truck runs fine though. not sure what I should do. Is my PCM gone?
Today I put the latest Mads software back on the Smarty to see if the recovery load took the truck to a happy place. I plug in the Smarty and it shows stock software level AND VIN locked. I select stock sw and load it. As I expect, the ETC and MIL come on. I plug the Smarty back in and look at the code: P0601. I use the Smarty to clear the code and presto, code is gone, no MIL or flashing lights. It took a minute to clear and did the "turn key off and press >". I think I only tried to clear the code with my OBD scanner last time. If you haven't done this, try it. Now, I gotta start over on the emissions monitors...
Old 09-18-2012, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by dmurdock
Yep...basically you gotta let it regen and those should clear...get on it..mine took 2 weeks to clear!
Thanks! Let the truck commute begin. That adds up when the TDI sits in the driveway smirking at me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What could this be?