4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

For those on the fence

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 02:00 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
For those on the fence

To do deletes or not to do.. Have a look at these photos it will make your mind up for you.

[IMG][/IMG]

There was more carbon than shown in the picture that fell on the floor as we removed the intake, truck has 30,000ml on it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hard to tell in this one but the intake was almost completely plugged. There was also raw fuel running down inside the factory boost tube. The truck had been to 2 different dealers with the truck having no power and making oil, they had changed O2 sensors on two occasions. I plan on dropping by the dealer that sold the truck and did most of the work on it to show the pictures and voice my concern.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:14 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That photo just cost me some big bucks (or is that considered an investment). Thanks for the motivational photos..

Old 12-29-2011, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do not own one of the newer trucks but am curious if that buildup is from a stock configured truck? Daily driver or Work vehicle?

That is crazy amount of carbon...
Best of luck with deletes.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 PM
tcr

That's insane, I was going to wait until 10K to do deletes, but I'll have a 3rd of that crap in mine by then. So if one has a 100,000 mile ext warranty and you clog one of these engines up in that time; on who's dime is the cleaning bill? Is it warranty?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Busboy
To do deletes or not to do.. Have a look at these photos it will make your mind up for you.

[IMG][/IMG]

There was more carbon than shown in the picture that fell on the floor as we removed the intake, truck has 30,000ml on it.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hard to tell in this one but the intake was almost completely plugged. There was also raw fuel running down inside the factory boost tube. The truck had been to 2 different dealers with the truck having no power and making oil, they had changed O2 sensors on two occasions. I plan on dropping by the dealer that sold the truck and did most of the work on it to show the pictures and voice my concern.
-----------------------------------------
Busboy:

Good thread and post Sir!

This kind of thing is EXACTLY what I have been talking about with these new 2011-2012 4th Gen Trucks as well as the older 3rd Gen's with the "Cummins Blue Tec" 6.7 Emission DPF Engines!! My dealership here in eastern N.C. is seeing ALOT of this just exactly as you have posted here. My buddies 2010 is at the dealer right now with the EGR, intake and TURBO plugged just like your picture! I need to go get a picture of his once they tear it down.

I feel sorry for those that have bought these new trucks and have to deal with this type of thing! The problem is you guys can delete them, but then risk voiding the warranty if you have a serious engine and Chrysler and or Dodge sees it! Pretty disgusting really...................

You gotta love these new trucks with this Cummins 6.7!!

---------
John_P
Old 12-29-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by JP-4.5
I do not own one of the newer trucks but am curious if that buildup is from a stock configured truck? Daily driver or Work vehicle?

That is crazy amount of carbon...
Best of luck with deletes.
The truck was completely stock except for a dealer installed fast idle, it belongs to my son and he uses it for work, it does long periods of hiway often pulling a cargo trailer, it is hardly ever in the city but he does idle it lots. I was just at the dealer with mine and spoke to the service manager about my sons, he told me that with the check engine light on for whatever reason the truck will NOT go into regen and will clog and carbon up very quickly. My sons is now completely deleted and I think mines next, I had a bunch of codes including O2 sensors. Mine has 7500ml and almost every single mile towing long trips.
Forgot to mention his MAP sensor was almost completely plugged as well.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yumme Yumme, carbon crud sandwich.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:59 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
TCR

if your under 5yr/100k it falls on the Cummins warranty and should be on Cummins/Chryslers bill.

However you still have an engine with the blacklung.

That picture right there is why Im such a big advocate of deleting.

John is right. The emissions system is a disgrace. Disheartening really. But you can thank the tree hugging liberals for that. They want these systems on the vehicles and it cost, in terms of reliability and fuel economy. And then they have the nerve to impose stricter MPG standards on top of that.

Its ridiculous to be honest.

Id love more than anything to have a P pumped 5.9 rattlin away under the hood of my '11, but, thanks to Big Brother, it just aint so.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:42 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am 100% in aggreance with John and Blake, that is why my truck had less than 1000mi on it when I became a full delete guy. The fact that all the crud was on your grid heater should be enough for any person with this truck to delete. Even though the vehicle is under a warranty, when it runs out, you are more than likely going to be left with a running dirty and dingy truck. I will always agree that deleting at the 1st opportunity is what you want to do. That warranty is not worth it.

If you do have to delete late, there is nothing like some water/meth injection to clean up all the gunk. (I'm just sayin')
Old 12-30-2011, 08:41 AM

I would like to see emissions/fuel comparisons between a stock truck, a deleted truck, and a deleted truck running water methanol injection system. The problem is the feds won't let any of the manufacturers of aftermarket equipment give out the emissions information. The EGR is the most ridiculous device ever designed, didn't the manufacturers learning anything when ford had all of its problems with their 6.0 EGRs?
Old 12-30-2011, 04:27 PM

I was talking with H&S yesterday, not only have they lowered their price on the boost tube to $100 they have also lowered the intake to $299. If you get the intake you don't need the EGR delete you only need the cooler delete. More reason to delete. I couldn't get the lower prices for the stuff I bought before Christmas although I did try.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs down It's a bad joke.

Maybe one of you 6.7 owners should start a Facebook page or something and ask others to post their photos/repair records for this nonsense. Everyone should also forward these pics and records to the EPA. The clogging/repair bills along with diminished fuel economy equals a net loss.

On a smaller scale is the infamous CARB approved gas containers being enjoyed here. Try using those suckers CARB. What a joke.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:53 PM

Ha yeah those new gas cans are a joke. They make it way harder to pour your gas in and you end up spilling half of it. And then they break after two or three uses.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:41 AM

Question, How did you clean it and what did you use?
Im hoping my 3rd gen wont be as bad. Planning on deleting when I get back to the States.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgetracker
Question, How did you clean it and what did you use?
Im hoping my 3rd gen wont be as bad. Planning on deleting when I get back to the States.
------------------------
I don't know how Busboy cleaned his but the Dodge Techs I have watched "clean" these intakes, EGR's, turbos used a small screwdriver to "chip" the crap off and then they sucked up the powder with large vacuums! One of the Techs there also used a high speed air powered "Dremel" type tool to grind the stuff out of there. He told me "John, this is almost like mining for coal!" The stuff is harder than you might think and IMHO it has the consistency of "Kingsford Charcoal Briquets!"
As I said, pretty dang disgusting........................

Dodge also has a solvent they use to flush the stuff out of turbochargers but many of them are so bad the shafts have broken in them!
That water cooled Holset Turbo on the new Cummins 6.7 costs almost $3,000.00 retail!!

Quick Reply: For those on the fence