4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

For those on the fence

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:08 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgetracker
Question, How did you clean it and what did you use?
Im hoping my 3rd gen wont be as bad. Planning on deleting when I get back to the States.
I used a big shop vac with a crevice tool on the end to first vacuum the smaller stuff then scraped the grids and gasket then re vacuumed. I then finished off with a wiper and brake cleaning fluid used sparingly. I didn't clean the intake and throttle valve as I had decided to delete and just installed the Maxx Flow intake instead.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just fell over the fence. And landed on my wallet.
Ouch , that is nasty stuff.
Still , would I want to wait a few miles , maybe 1k to be sure there are no factory issues when brand new ?
M
Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyRobalo
Still , would I want to wait a few miles , maybe 1k to be sure there are no factory issues when brand new ?
M
I would and did, my truck has 7500miles of hard towing and I just got my first check engine light driving to the store to get parts to delete the other truck 2 codes for o2 sensor I have reset them and haven't driven the truck yet. I am getting the parts together to delete mine though. The dealer told me if the check engine light is on for ANY reason the truck will NOT go into regen and the $4600 CD DPF will plug quickly. I would recommend an early oil change and don't forget to lube the front drive shaft, mine had never seen a lick of grease until I put the gun to it.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Busboy
I would and did, my truck has 7500miles of hard towing and I just got my first check engine light driving to the store to get parts to delete the other truck 2 codes for o2 sensor I have reset them and haven't driven the truck yet. I am getting the parts together to delete mine though. The dealer told me if the check engine light is on for ANY reason the truck will NOT go into regen and the $4600 CD DPF will plug quickly. I would recommend an early oil change and don't forget to lube the front drive shaft, mine had never seen a lick of grease until I put the gun to it.

Good to know. Thx
And I thought spending the 50 k was the hard part
Old 01-01-2012, 05:55 PM

Crud

My 24 valve is not looking so bad now that i have seen these pictures- a lift pump is easy compared to all the damage that build up is going to cause inside a motor over time- to spend that kind of money on a truck that is destroying itself seems kind of a waste to me-thank you for the pictures and being honest about your truck.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:29 PM

I was told by a dealer diesel tech that I must remove my AFE cold air dry filter system b/c of sooting issue. Another dealer in CT never said a word about it. I have started running at or above 1500 rpm not matter what speed I am going and prefer between 1800 and 2000 rpm in order to try to eliminate this problem. It cannot be that the AFE system is the problem and I told the tech this, it's just air. I'll let everyone know how the increasing of rpm's works or not. If not delete will be in the mix.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:04 AM

Yup my 2012 is gonna get the full H&S treatment here once I finish trade school in a couple of months. That intake is disgusting...
Minimaxx, DPF delete, EGR cooler delete and intercooler pipe and intake here I come!

I'm looking forward to letting my truck idle in the morning and not worrying about plugging up the DPF
Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 AM
The Guru

Very common issues, seen a few higher mileage trucks, with the entire head filled with soot. After awhile it will build-up on the valves and you'll have valves that will not seal. Either way its win-win for the dealer, either you buy a new truck or fix the junk you own.

Most of this is deemed by the dealer as daily wear/tear and regular maintaince, please bring that expense truck in for your monthly service visit.

You should tear apart a few higher mileage 6.7L and see were all the soot collects.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Holmen
You should tear apart a few higher mileage 6.7L and see were all the soot collects.
Mine collects on various roadways.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:39 PM

HOLY CRAP!!!! I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2011 left over 6.7 with a G56 and this thread just stopped that!!!!

NC law would rape me if I did the EGR delete and I know that the dealer would "Write Me Up" on it...... CRAP

Used 5.9 here I come!
Old 01-02-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by ctnv
I was told by a dealer diesel tech that I must remove my AFE cold air dry filter system b/c of sooting issue. Another dealer in CT never said a word about it. I have started running at or above 1500 rpm not matter what speed I am going and prefer between 1800 and 2000 rpm in order to try to eliminate this problem. It cannot be that the AFE system is the problem and I told the tech this, it's just air. I'll let everyone know how the increasing of rpm's works or not. If not delete will be in the mix.
which dealers are you dealing with in CT, I am also from CT
Old 01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
The Guru

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
HOLY CRAP!!!! I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2011 left over 6.7 with a G56 and this thread just stopped that!!!!

NC law would rape me if I did the EGR delete and I know that the dealer would "Write Me Up" on it...... CRAP

Used 5.9 here I come!
Hate to say but just buy a mechanical diesel its better running truck. That's why I drive my old truck for the daily driver stuff and keep the new one around when the old truck is broken. I use my truck for work, and require a truck. Not impressed with the newer design of engine 5.9L or 6.7L
Old 01-04-2012, 04:56 PM

Just to update, my son got some cell coverage and managed to call, he's SUPER IMPRESSED with his truck since the deletes, he says fuel mileage is incredible now and since he's on ice roads he can't really do much with the skinny pedal, he's chained up and dragging a cargo trailer though. We didn't manage to get the Boost tube or the EGT probe installed so he doesn't know egts yet. So far the deletes have worked wonders for him, we'll see what his oil looks like the next service.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The intake valves probably look just like that grid heater.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by jumper
The intake valves probably look just like that grid heater.
That is probably true and there is little that can be done other than dis-assembly.
A water/meth injection is not an option because of where he runs but some kind of service wash may be possible. We used to do compressor washes on the large turbine engines when needed and since he has a manifold with built in injector ports we could rig something up temporarily. I need to do a little more research but right now working on getting an engine back where it belongs.

Quick Reply: For those on the fence