4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

For those on the fence

Old 01-05-2012, 07:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tedonlin150
Ha yeah those new gas cans are a joke. They make it way harder to pour your gas in and you end up spilling half of it. And then they break after two or three uses.
I never imagined I would live in a world where I wanted a "contraband" gas jug . . .
Old 01-05-2012, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by boostjunkie1
HOLY CRAP!!!! I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2011 left over 6.7 with a G56 and this thread just stopped that!!!!

NC law would rape me if I did the EGR delete and I know that the dealer would "Write Me Up" on it...... CRAP

Used 5.9 here I come!
I am curious as to the NC law you refer to. My local dealership has a mechanic who does deletes. Had a nice conversation with them about it and was very surprised at their willingness to delete my truck. Bear in mind they were quick to mention the warranty would go bye-bye. Just curious.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Scarlet HO
I am curious as to the NC law you refer to. My local dealership has a mechanic who does deletes. Had a nice conversation with them about it and was very surprised at their willingness to delete my truck. Bear in mind they were quick to mention the warranty would go bye-bye. Just curious.
---------------------------
Scarlett HO:

The N.C. Law that I am pretty sure DTR Member boostjunkie is referring to is the N.C. State Vehicle Inspection Law. ALL vehicles in N.C. HAVE to be inspected once a year. Some of the N.C. counties are "emissions counties" where smog and pollution are worse, therefore, they do a more rigorous state inspection also on diesels. In those "emissions counties", they physically inspect the diesel trucks for ALL federally mandated emission parts such as catalytic converters, DPF's, EGR systems etc. Removal of ANY of those parts or systems results in failure on that state inspection. They also do a "particulate soot test" on the exhaust coming from the truck to see if the engine is above acceptable diesel particulate limits.

I find it interesting that "your local dealership has a mechanic that does deletes." For your information, if he is really doing that, he is violating federal law and not only can he be fined, but the dealership he works at can be heavily fined also! Furthermore, Chrysler and Dodge can pull their franchise from that dealer for those violations. Would you care to tell us which dealer that is in N.C.???

---------
John_P
Old 01-05-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
Scarlett HO:

The N.C. Law that I am pretty sure DTR Member boostjunkie is referring to is the N.C. State Vehicle Inspection Law. ALL vehicles in N.C. HAVE to be inspected once a year. Some of the N.C. counties are "emissions counties" where smog and pollution are worse, therefore, they do a more rigorous state inspection also on diesels. In those "emissions counties", they physically inspect the diesel trucks for ALL federally mandated emission parts such as catalytic converters, DPF's, EGR systems etc. Removal of ANY of those parts or systems results in failure on that state inspection. They also do a "particulate soot test" on the exhaust coming from the truck to see if the engine is above acceptable diesel particulate limits.

I find it interesting that "your local dealership has a mechanic that does deletes." For your information, if he is really doing that, he is violating federal law and not only can he be fined, but the dealership he works at can be heavily fined also! Furthermore, Chrysler and Dodge can pull their franchise from that dealer for those violations. Would you care to tell us which dealer that is in N.C.???

---------
John_P
NO SHARING of dealers that do missing parts repairs.
He asked the dealer to put the parts back that were stolen from his '76 Mercedes 250. thats all. an honest mistake.
Here in MD does emissions , ,, how do I get around that ? save the parts I guess.
Wanna jump on a 2012 , 3500 lb laramie any day now. 1400 apart from what the dealer wants. you guys are scaring me into a remodel of an 02 2500 gasser thats in my driveway.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Man, my face hurts from grinning. I just bought a 93 first gen, paints peeling a bit, no rust, under 200K miles. I figure it's probably got 200-300K left in it.
But ugly, simple to fix, reliable as mom. Think I'll go fix the few booboos in it from the factory, headlight wiring, heater wiring, and KDP.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Man, my face hurts from grinning. I just bought a 93 first gen, paints peeling a bit, no rust, under 200K miles. I figure it's probably got 200-300K left in it.
But ugly, simple to fix, reliable as mom. Think I'll go fix the few booboos in it from the factory, headlight wiring, heater wiring, and KDP.
Well lets see, 1st gen vs 4th gen.

Oh wait......

I dont have to choose.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:53 PM

Scarlett HO:

---------
John_P
Perhaps I should keep the dealership location ummm secret for now. The conversation started by me inquiring about what my truck inspection. I was told by the service advisor that it was safety only for diesel trucks. Maybe it is the county I live in. But they way they talked NC was safety only for diesels.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Well lets see, 1st gen vs 4th gen.

Oh wait......

I dont have to choose.
-------------------------------
Yeah,....I don't have to choose either! Thank God!

You see Blake, I am not the only one on DTR that prefers the older Dodge CTD Pickups!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Scarlet HO
Perhaps I should keep the dealership location ummm secret for now. The conversation started by me inquiring about what my truck inspection. I was told by the service advisor that it was safety only for diesel trucks. Maybe it is the county I live in. But they way they talked NC was safety only for diesels.
----------------------------------------
Yeah,..... that's what I thought you would say Scarlet!!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
-------------------------------
Yeah,....I don't have to choose either! Thank God!

You see Blake, I am not the only one on DTR that prefers the older Dodge CTD Pickups!
Well of course thats true John. I love ALL Dodge Cummins. My '90 has so much sentimental value it cant be sold (again) EVER!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:18 PM

Thank you all for the information that I am letting my truck die slowly of black lung caused by the EGR system. I sit here on the fence weighing the loss of warranty coverage in exchange for a better running engine at the end of the warranty. It seems that the warranty could get me through 100k and then I am left with a fouled engine. I have just over 1000 miles and haven't had any issues. My 6.7 runs like a watch. We don't have exhaust testing for Diesel in VT over 8500# so a full delete is an option on my 2500. I do my own mechanical work but the computers intimidate me. Those pictures at the beginning of this thread got my attention.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Kurt802
Those pictures at the beginning of this thread got my attention.
You are not alone Kurt! Even my wife was amazed at how bad those were. I keep saying that I want to put more miles on before making the jump - then I see those and yesterday I saw how black my oil was with just 4000 miles on it. I had a old diesel years ago and I know how black the oil gets, but this chage was much sooner than I normally do my oil change (we are preping for a trip) it was wasted! It cannot be good for the life of the motor.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:22 AM

I changed my oil at 500 miles and checked at 1,020 miles and it is black as coal. Routing the exhaust gas through the intake is just wrong. I will be reading through all the deleting posts as time permits. I didn't know about EGR systems, so now my education begins and education costs money.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:29 PM

I am also weighing the pro's and con's on the deletes as I have 1900 miles and one week in this truck. Just how many ppl have had an engine issue in the first 100,000? I traded in an 07 quad 1500 with a 4.7 that never had any issues. 113,000 miles, 2 sets of tires, one set of brakes and a battery. If this truck is as good as my last (better I'm hoping) it should not be an issue. I also have no inspections where I live.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Gordo22
I am also weighing the pro's and con's on the deletes as I have 1900 miles and one week in this truck. Just how many ppl have had an engine issue in the first 100,000? I traded in an 07 quad 1500 with a 4.7 that never had any issues. 113,000 miles, 2 sets of tires, one set of brakes and a battery. If this truck is as good as my last (better I'm hoping) it should not be an issue. I also have no inspections where I live.
I would also be interested in any warranty claim statistics related to Cummins 6.7 engine and transmissions before rolling the dice and going without the warranty. The more I think about this it seems I have to remove the EGR and DPF or have a huge repair bill possibly the day after the warranty expires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those on the fence