4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

A tale of two trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
There are at least two other reasons (besides a factory warranty, comfort, looks and "newness") to put up with the emissions junk on the 4th gens: 1. The 6-speed auto w/exhaust brake and 2. real back seat. After having towed heavy with a full load of long-legged kids in the back seat with the 2011 it became clear there was simply no comparison: 4th gens rock.

If I had to "go back" I'm not sure I could- what? Get lucky and find a low-mileage '06 Mega? Won't fit in my garage, no warranty, replace the ball joints regularly, 48RE tranny, no exhaust brake, etc, etc.....
Old 02-13-2012, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's no free lunch is there, Buddy?
Old 02-13-2012, 06:32 PM

Can the Dealer see if I shut off the egr and dps systems with a tuner?
Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 PM

They see all. If you unplug it will set a flag. If you are going to keep it a long haul and don't want issues after you cross the 100k mark, the sooner you delete the less damage there will be. If you are going to trade it in in 3 years with 60k on the clock, just drive it and step up the maintenece. I did 5k oil changes, 10k fuel filter, 15k alxe service, etc. Make the dealer service dept your friend.

I just joined the delete crowd at 18k. I decided that the motor had not shown any sign of any defect. I want it to stay that way.

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:35 AM

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/05...san-titan.html
Found this article and the way I read it, it seems as though Cummins isn't really on the side of the customers in regard to how bad we dislike these horrible egr systems.

They are in bed with EPA and Feds and at the trough of govt dollars. 15M to implement epa agenda.

The old saying has gone from " If you can't beat'em, join'em" to "Just take the bribe and join'em"
Old 02-14-2012, 11:47 AM

I like words, they have power, they can hide truth or show light on lies. But they also can be used to cast a shadow of distaste without actually accusing. Reread this - "Most half-ton truck makers are betting on small-displacement direct-injection gasoline engines to meet future fuel economy regulations, but Cummins expects its small displacement oil burner to get 40 percent better fuel economy over current light-duty V-8 truck engines."

There are certain positive notes injected about the brilliance of using gas engines and an appeal from the "pack" mentality that "most half-ton truck makers are betting on small-displacement direct-injection gasoline engines" whiles poor old, not so bright Cummins is still trying to make a "Oil burner" compete. The phrase "oil burner" is so highly charged with a negative connotation that if you took 100 random people and just said that phrase to them with no context - they would almost all cringe and wrinkle their nose. Try it with friends, try it with friends who like diesels - I think you would find its true.

Note the hapless cheer that is evident as the writer extols the virtue of the EPA regulations that are killing our industry, while in other countries, small diesel motors in trucks are the norm. They just are not clean enough for OUR use. Someday they may be, but not now. Perhaps if we just throw more government dollars (dollars borrowed from China) at the problem, is the conclusion of the piece. The hero in this article is the EPA and big GOV. Give them a hand.

I have no idea who this writer is or what they personally believe, but this sort of propaganda through word choice is rampant in the press.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:25 PM

Can anyone tell me what those two pictures are? They are not the air intake filters are they?
Old 02-14-2012, 03:31 PM

That grid work you see is the grid heater. This is what you will see if you remove the intake. It is bolted into the intake plenum. So it catches all the crud coming out of the EGR.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:18 PM

I should have added - this is on the other side of the moto from the air filter box.

The airflow is -
Air box/filter to the turbo
Turbo to the intercooler (sort a like a radiator)
Intercooler to throttle valve
TV is bolted to the Intake Horn (which the EGR is dumped into)
Intake horn to the Intake Plenum which bolts to the head.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:34 AM

Hey Busboy - Were the leads on the the head long enough to reach the MM when it was mounted over the mirror? Or does the pyro wire go to the modual that plugs into the OBDII port?

Is it easy to plug in the sim card with it up there? And are there any drawbacks to that placement?

Thanks,
Larry
Old 02-15-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Hey Busboy - Were the leads on the the head long enough to reach the MM when it was mounted over the mirror? Or does the pyro wire go to the modual that plugs into the OBDII port?

Is it easy to plug in the sim card with it up there? And are there any drawbacks to that placement? Thanks, Larry
The overhead mount comes with a longer data cord with a 90deg plug on the display end to give more clearance to get the head located properly. The EGT cord plugs into the OBD2 adapter. As I mentioned before I read in a post where the OP inverted the OBD2 plug in it's original location, I found this worked perfectly. I just cut a little of the ties holding the OBD2 wires so there was more wiggle room when the panel was dropped. I also left out the 2 screws in the bottom so just the clips now hold the panel. This makes it easier to access the whole works. Put a rag on the floor to avoid scratching the top of the panel.
The head mounts with Velcro so it is very easy to install and remove the head to take out the card. One draw back I have found is when it's very bright out it's difficult to read the display with dark sunglasses on, this may be true if it were mounted in another location though. Don't forget to turn on the switch on the adapter and leave it on if you ran power to the panel or you will have no power at the head.