4th Gen High Performance and Accessories 2010 and Up Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for fourth generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

A tale of two trucks

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 02:13 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
A tale of two trucks

Last spring we picked up a couple of 2011 3500's CC 4X4 one a standard the other an auto. The manual G56 never sees city driving and is mostly towing a trailer of some kind, it does however do a lot of idling but had a dealer installed fast idle. It had been back to two different dealers with O2 sensor problems and they had been replaced twice but it had started to lose power at 30,000 miles when we decided to investigate ourselves. This is the photo you may have seen.
[IMG][/IMG]

The auto truck is only used for towing, mostly hiway and has 7500miles on it maybe 100 of those in the city with no trailer. It has only been idled 3 times and is parked in a heated shop, it has had 2 oil and filter changes already using Amsoil 5W40 full synthetic oil and I have hardly started it since we deleted the other truck. I have been getting the bits together to delete it. This is a picture of the intake.
[IMG][/IMG]

As you can see it's not as bad as the other truck but it sure was dirty with a 1/4 the miles. I think it is a disgrace that these trucks are like this and I plan to send these two pictures to Chrysler just in case they don't know there's a problem
Old 02-09-2012, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And that's why this fat old cripple was just out of his wheelchair and under his truck looking at how the exhaust comes apart. Disgraceful excuse for engineering. I learned more about how to design engines during my freshman year than the guys on that team did in 8.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:22 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
That second pic is about how mine looked at 20k when I did the intake horn.

If you work them hard, they will work better. If you delete them and work them hard, the appreciate it even more.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:51 PM

With our small town runnig - I'd bet ours looks like the first one - but not for long. If our florida trip had not fallen through, my truck would be getting more miles than is, but we are going to be hitting the road very soon. I hope my delets are done by then.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to see this, but's its exactly why I plan to drive my 06 until if falls apart. Maybe by then this problem will be fixed. If not, I'll have to decide between rebuilding my 5.9 or buying a gasser
Old 02-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by ssandlin
I hate to see this, but's its exactly why I plan to drive my 06 until if falls apart. Maybe by then this problem will be fixed. If not, I'll have to decide between rebuilding my 5.9 or buying a gasser
-----------------------
Thank you ssandlin! Glad to see there is someone else that feels the same way I do about these new Dodge CTD CR 6.7 "Emissions" Engines!
Old 02-10-2012, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
-----------------------
Thank you ssandlin! Glad to see there is someone else that feels the same way I do about these new Dodge CTD CR 6.7 "Emissions" Engines!
John, you are not alone in hating the 6.7 trucks. There are a bunch of guys who do.

But, like I have said many times before, there are us who do like them.

Some even prefer them over the 5.9 trucks.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:11 PM

Yep, it's a crappy situation. Everything about the 4th gens is better except the emissions and this comes from owning 2nd's,3rd's and now two 4th's.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still see us 6.7 owners as pioneers suffering through the early emissions follies (like the ealry 70s gassers) helping advance our cause.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:31 AM

Its easy to snipe about something you'll never own. Gradma said if you can't say some thing nice, go play in your own sandbox and leave the other kids alone.

Blake said it, some of us really like our 4th gens. Some of us are honest enough to say they have some faults (which are fixable).

I seem to recall a lot of auto tranny issues with the third gens, and the seats sat to close to the floor for me, but I don't go into that section and post how miserable they are, and that I wouldn't be caught dead buying one.

Lets just respect each others choices.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:13 AM

I just bought a 2012 Longhorn dually. I really like the truck over my 3rd gen. I plan to leave it stock. I like it the way it is. I am not going to get caught up in all the hype about them being a piece of crap unless you delete. Maybe I'll have problems down the road, maybe not. I think Dodge did a good job of these trucks.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Stargeezer
Its easy to snipe about something you'll never own. Gradma said if you can't say some thing nice, go play in your own sandbox and leave the other kids alone.

Blake said it, some of us really like our 4th gens. Some of us are honest enough to say they have some faults (which are fixable).

I seem to recall a lot of auto tranny issues with the third gens, and the seats sat to close to the floor for me, but I don't go into that section and post how miserable they are, and that I wouldn't be caught dead buying one.

Lets just respect each others choices.
------------------------------------------------
Hey Stargeezer,......if I want to come in any section on this website and make a comment I will! Frankly, I wouldn't mind at all if you come into the
3rd Gen Section and tell us you don't like the trannies, the seats or the whole
truck for that matter! And I do respect you, Blake or any other member wanting to own one and have made that very clear in many of my posts. I think Blake can verify that. In fact,..Blake and I have had some good "spirited" conversations on these 4th Gen Trucks!

One problem I do have is some of our new DTR Members that are "on the fence" on buying one of these new 4th Gen 6.7 Trucks NOT getting BOTH sides of the story on them. There are pros and cons just as there is with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen Dodges. I don't post in EVERY thread but yes, I have been in a few.

-------------
Respectfully,

John_P
Old 02-11-2012, 06:22 PM

Hey John

How bout you and I do some covert missions, take down the EPA and bring back the P-Pumped 5.9s in the 4th gen skin.

Now that would be killer!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
John, you are not alone in hating the 6.7 trucks. There are a bunch of guys who do.

But, like I have said many times before, there are us who do like them.

Some even prefer them over the 5.9 trucks.
---------------------------------------------
Blake,....thanks for your reply Sir!

I know you like your 6.7 and am glad that overall you have had good luck with yours! And if you or anyone else prefer them over a 5.9 truck that is great too! But, no DTR Member is going to tell me where I can post on this website as long as I am within the rules!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Hey John

How bout you and I do some covert missions, take down the EPA and bring back the P-Pumped 5.9s in the 4th gen skin.

Now that would be killer!
-------------------------------------
That sounds good to me buddy!

Quick Reply: A tale of two trucks